Wrasse - Odd Bump/Wound/Coloration on head?

Bigmikespc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Last Friday I received my first shipment of fish from Doctor Reef. Everything arrived well and looked to be healthy and in good shape. Since arriving though I have seen something weird show up on my Dusky Margine Wrasse. The first two photos highlight the weird bump with the last photo showing what he looked like upon arrival.

This is a 55 gallon holding tank for fish waiting to go in my 150 gallon display tank.

I test parameters daily
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5-10ppm Nitrate
1.021 salinity
78 degrees

He eats very well, feeding him bloodworms, mysis, brine, spirulina, capelin eggs and I believe I’ve seen him snatch up a few v20 veggie flakes and new vision pellets, although he definitely prefers the worms and shrimp.

This tank only has about 2-3” of sand bed made up of CaribSea special grade and he’s larger around 4”. I’m wondering if maybe this started from sand diving and he’s damaged his head got an infection?

The new tank mates are a 1” Blue Hippo, 3” Tomini Tang, (2) 2” Gladiator Clowns, and a 3” Foxface. The only other fish with anything concerning is the Foxface, which is not eating much but shows no sign of skin issues. The fish have gotten along well in the space, every once in a while the Tomini and Wrasse flair up at each other and swim away, but I’ve witnessed no fighting between the two besides flaring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9245.jpeg
IMG_9243.jpeg

When received below
IMG_9201.jpeg

OP
OP
Bigmikespc

Bigmikespc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also noticing what looks like a weird white spot on his mouth as well which seems to be much more apparent then it was before as well

IMG_9248.jpeg
IMG_9249.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are not symptoms of any of the communicable fish diseases, so that’s good.
The location on the lips and top of the head are common locations for strike injuries. I don’t see any sign of secondary infection (yet).
The key is to keep this from happening again.
Avoid sudden movements or getting too close to the tank. Keep the room lights dim so the fish can’t see you as you walk around.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree with jay as with strike injury and even injury from being netted which should heal on its own. Keep an eye on it to assure healing and not infection

OP
OP
Bigmikespc

Bigmikespc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are not symptoms of any of the communicable fish diseases, so that’s good.
The location on the lips and top of the head are common locations for strike injuries. I don’t see any sign of secondary infection (yet).
The key is to keep this from happening again.
Avoid sudden movements or getting too close to the tank. Keep the room lights dim so the fish can’t see you as you walk around.

Jay
Thank you for the fast response, I’ll turn the tank lights off completely with the only light being a from a dim lamp through the day time. I’ll minimize anything that could potentially be causing them to dart around. Thanks again!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the fast response, I’ll turn the tank lights off completely with the only light being a from a dim lamp through the day time. I’ll minimize anything that could potentially be causing them to dart around. Thanks again!!

Oh sorry, I meant keep the tank lights on normal, but dim the room lights. That way, the fish cannot see you outside the tank.

Also avoid rapid changes in lighting if you can.

Basically, if you see anything that causes the wrasse to dart away, don't do that again (grin).

jay

OP
OP
Bigmikespc

Bigmikespc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, I meant keep the tank lights on normal, but dim the room lights. That way, the fish cannot see you outside the tank.

Also avoid rapid changes in lighting if you can.

Basically, if you see anything that causes the wrasse to dart away, don't do that again (grin).

jay
That makes complete sense, keep everything outside the tank dark so they can’t see or be shocked by anything.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back