Wrasse Resort

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder about the source of fish too. It seems we get almost all of our fish from Indonesia where as I saw a lot of African and Red Sea fish in England where cyanide is less used.
Indo for some sad reason loves their cyanide collecting. Even if it's banned, they still do it. And a lot of CBB suffer because of it.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s why I watch my local fb forums like a hawk for anyone breaking their tanks down and try to grab the fish pronto! This other chump normally beats me to it thou haha!
I live in an area were saltwater is not common and I kind of blame the lfs's here. They do not give the best advice.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT'd once. Some bellus angels. Not cheap and both died. I found the stress of figuring out how much copper to add how quickly and watching them stress out in a tiny tank way too high. One died to possible cyanide and the other suddenly got a massive bacterial infection just after adding to my tank.

I would say I am very happy with the fish I get from my LFS. They come in fat and healthy and I haven't lost one to health reasons for a long time.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being told to tear down my tank because a fish had some sand stuck to a fin I'm a bit burned my the sick fish forum too.
I remember that. Didn’t you tell (insert _certain someone_) that you found out the real thing and they never answered back? Lol

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in the wild fish eat at least two servings of garlic per day and a very healthy fish will end the day with a coffee enema.

After being told to tear down my tank because a fish had some sand stuck to a fin I'm a bit burned my the sick fish forum too.
It’s not about the animals here anymore just clicks for sponsors. So sad

A really good friend of mine does wholesale and he told me since covid happened most of the importers laid people off due to economical strain.. he also said when the fish come in now they just pretty much dump them in the bins vs drip acclimation and bringing salinity up to par etc.. they “wholesalers” just don’t have the man power they used to and the owners are just like hey….. what ever fish died they get credit from the exporter on the next batch and the vicious circle just continues on and we the people pay the price as everyone is charging more and more to cover their losses.. not to mention the fish we’re getting aren’t always the healthiest..
Part of it and why my fish go to me straight from collection. Holding in collection before shipping isn’t much better as far as the health but better then hitting wholesalers. Every tank fish sees is higher chance of parasites. Also how they keep fish can stress out most wrasse and then they are doomed to ship. I only deal with import to me or places that understand how to properly care for them

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here wholesalers and fish stores I believe is the big problem
So I found out now on the phone with one of my certain lfs’ I’m sure you know which one it is I’m referring to starting with a W……

Apparently, they can’t keep Halichoeres or Anampses, ANY, and I specifically asked “Any of them?” With the response“Any of them”, alive.:face-with-head-bandage::downcast-face-with-sweat::crying-face: All of them go thru mandatory QT and they all die there, none make it out alive, which is why you’ll almost never see one in the super store anymore, and if you are lucky enough to see one, it isn’t healthy and a 2 to 4 days later the customer calls them to inform the fish has died……..my answer to the guy was:…….”interesting“

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out now on the phone with one of my certain lfs’ I’m sure you know which one it is I’m referring to starting with a W……

Apparently, they can’t keep Halichoeres or Anampses, ANY, and I specifically asked “Any of them?” With the response“Any of them”, alive.:face-with-head-bandage::downcast-face-with-sweat::crying-face: All of them go thru mandatory QT and they all die there, none make it out alive, which is why you’ll almost never see one in the super store anymore, and if you are lucky enough to see one, it isn’t healthy and a 2 to 4 days later the customer calls them to inform the fish has died……..my answer to the guy was:…….”interesting“
This is the same store that tried to put 10 garden eels in a nano and thought you could feed them once a day. I think the key word there is “Corals”

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same store that tried to put 10 garden eels in a nano and thought you could feed them once a day. I think the key word there is “Corals”
I asked them where most of them were a bit ago because I only saw like 2 tiny holes in sand bed, their response was: “They were moved”……moved into something dark without water I wonder

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some need more special care. I don’t like to call wrasse fragile. I never lost a fish in qt. I don’t medicate until they settle after I learn their behaviors. Of a wrasse don’t settle in qt them I’ll medicate and 9 out of 10 times they improve. I had alot of wrasse with flukes and ich this year. Wait wrasse with ich was from reef pro. The place that ships dead fish and can’t even sex wrasse they sell as males. Yes I’m bitter with them. They want 6 grand for a Hemi that I pay $500 for. If they knew how to take care of them they wouldn’t loose them and could charge a fair price. I really need to start selling healthy fish but hate the thought of having to ship.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait wrasse with ich was from reef pro. The place that ships dead fish and can’t even sex wrasse they sell as males. Yes I’m bitter with them. They want 6 grand for a Hemi that I pay $500 for
They aren’t the only ones……TSA will sell a melasmapomus for like 60 bucks….want to know how much MarineCollectors sell them for?
1685644459019.png

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some need more special care. I don’t like to call wrasse fragile. I never lost a fish in qt. I don’t medicate until they settle after I learn their behaviors. Of a wrasse don’t settle in qt them I’ll medicate and 9 out of 10 times they improve. I had alot of wrasse with flukes and ich this year. Wait wrasse with ich was from reef pro. The place that ships dead fish and can’t even sex wrasse they sell as males. Yes I’m bitter with them. They want 6 grand for a Hemi that I pay $500 for. If they knew how to take care of them they wouldn’t loose them and could charge a fair price. I really need to start selling healthy fish but hate the thought of having to ship.
They're on sale now for 3 grand :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t the only ones……TSA will sell a melasmapomus for like 60 bucks….want to know how much MarineCollectors sell them for?
1685644459019.png
Elliot is pricey but puts time and money in them. That said earmuff are tuff and that’s huge profit.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a store I am not a fan of PITA to deal with and 0/2 in fish I attempted to buy. I present my texts from yesterday as evidence:
IMG_6735.jpeg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a store I am not a fan of PITA to deal with and 0/2 in fish I attempted to buy. I present my texts from yesterday as evidence:
IMG_6735.jpeg
They lost $2,700 on fish on 2 months on me. They hat doesn’t include two Kuiters and a third that was shipped in dirty sand under feed and doa. Fish was on death bed before shipping. Most use clean sterile.water for shipping not old dirty sand. My punishment for educating them was I’m not allowed to buy from them ever again lol. When I visit my parents I’ll stop in and surprise them one day

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6735.jpeg
What a shame. They used to be a great vendor when they first started, but now it seems they're just fish flippers. Sad.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as an update on halichoeres, jay responded with
"IMO - internal Uronema is only seen in newly imported fish. It doesn’t seem to be very contagious. Here is an article I wrote on it some years ago:"

So, @SaltyT is pretty correct.

Healthy reef, healthy fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back