Wrasse Resort

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great way to say it without saying the name.. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I called him out on that and he got offended lol.. I’m the one who started the h202 experiments with Dino’s about 15 years ago and the started the original thread on here that gets cut and pasted…
He doesn’t even read the post he answers to. He will have you dose copper because sps is loosing flesh.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great way to say it without saying the name.. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I called him out on that and he got offended lol.. I’m the one who started the h202 experiments with Dino’s about 15 years ago and the started the original thread on here that gets cut and pasted…
I seen enough people make call out on copy paste without credit due given. It's a sad world.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until they are :face-with-head-bandage:
Idk man call me lucky or what ever you want but I don’t quarantine fish I think it stresses them more than anything and myself trying to keep up with it.. I just feed and feed and feed and my fish are healthy… I’ve lost a few but they were new combers and happened within 24 hours of being placed on my tank… like my new anthias :rolleyes: All 3 female died within 12 hours and the large male is fine.. go figure..

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Idk man call me lucky or what ever you want but I don’t quarantine fish I think it stresses them more than anything and myself trying to keep up with it.. I just feed and feed and feed and my fish are healthy… I’ve lost a few but they were new combers and happened within 24 hours of being placed on my tank… like my new anthias :rolleyes: All 3 female died within 12 hours and the large male is fine.. go figure..
I have had sour luck with quarantining. There's something about it that really keeps fish stressed and unhappy. They hit the display and they just adjust in a few hours. Some fish take a day or 2. But they all eat within a couple of hours.

Quarantine, they shut down. I stopped that years ago. Only put my ribbon eel in quarantine because they do great isolated. Eventually, they start looking for other fish. As odd as that is.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean so many people including yourself have success without quarantining. I have too, all my fish I’ve added haven’t been QT( I say this meaning ‘I’ haven’t done the work the lfs has qt‘d it before hand but don’t think that helps too too much) and haven’t gotten a single loss from it. I only have a QT tank because I was moving houses and need somewhere to keep the fish, and now works as a hospital tank.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had sour luck with quarantining. There's something about it that really keeps fish stressed and unhappy. They hit the display and they just adjust in a few hours. Some fish take a day or 2. But they all eat within a couple of hours.

Quarantine, they shut down. I stopped that years ago. Only put my ribbon eel in quarantine because they do great isolated. Eventually, they start looking for other fish. As odd as that is.
Only fish I plan on QT now are my wrasse that aren’t Halichoeres, Anthias, and things that would be super super sensitive. I wouldn’t QT a CBB however, and I’m sure you’d know why with what you’ve said

@Troylee (for you to see this as well)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about QT… Not one of these fish have been through that process. They’ve all hit my tank and thrived from day one.
F885FF42-7A1D-41AE-B341-6170727DFD9E.jpeg

I’ve only ever QTed once and that was working in an LFS… never again. We had so many more fish losses due to high copper levels. And even then, disease is rare and most of the time you’re treating a healthy fish for nothing.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only fish I plan on QT now are my wrasse that aren’t Halichoeres, Anthias, and things that would be super super sensitive. I wouldn’t QT a CBB however, and I’m sure you’d know why with what you’ve said

@Troylee (for you to see this as well)
My cbb needed live rock to sustain himself. He did not eat and was picking at everything on the live rocks. Still does. He HATES mysis. He gives me that look "where's the real food?". The rest of the fish love mysis.

I lost 2 fish due to starvation in my display. Royal gramma and a bangaii cardinal :( they wouldn't eat~
Talking about QT… Not one of these fish have been through that process. They’ve all hit my tank and thrived from day one.

I’ve only ever QTed once and that was working in an LFS… never again. We had so many more fish losses due to high copper levels. And even then, disease is rare and most of the time you’re treating a healthy fish for nothing.
I refuse to use copper. Maybe I am cruel. I am just done with it. Prazi and metro is pretty much it. I can feed directly with the metro and dose my display with prazi if needed. No one cares. Copper? They hate it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh… I threw in 12 chromis that are notorious for it and 8 died fast and I’m sure it’s from just that.. no other fish were infected! Just keep your kids well fed “fat and happy” and diseases aren’t a big deal..
This right here. Nutrition and good water is all that is needed. I kept fish forever with no QT and never had issues. Started doing hybrid TTM, just cause and have kept doing it, just cause lol.

Numerous others who have reefed as long as I have, and some longer also do not QT and can put anything in their tank. Paul B adds fish with ICH and velvet and they live. Is what it is.

One thing to remember, a healthy established tank with lots of little mouths (corals) eats the parasites. Yup, ich, for example is 48 x 27 µm on average for the trophonts. Average size of food eaten by SPS and most other stoney corals is around the same size or larger. LPS and zoas, this increases in what they can consume, in terms of size.

Now take all those little trophants floating around with the zooplankton, bacteria plankton, etc. and they get consumed.

In short, fill your tank with corals of all types and corals will eat the baddies lol.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want to say something more on why I wouldn’t QT a CBB, and I would like you to point out some things you like or would like to address further( I will pm you for this is something I’d like to discuss)

The reason I wouldn’t QT a CopperBand, is there are too many and I mean too many variables that would do more harm than good, despite what you (we all) normally hear, from various sources and highly esteemed people.

One variable is feeding. People say that one reason quarantining a CBB is beneficial, is because it has a chance to get used to you and the food you give and when and what you can give for food and has more opportunities, calmer opportunities, to go for the food. Here’s the thing.….does a CBB or ANY fish or ANY living organism for that matter in the ocean have the opportunity to calmly get used to something it may decide to eat and sustain itself with?! Would that organism go: “hmmm this might be tasty let me try this oh no I didn’t like it I’ll wait until something better drops by” !?!? NO! Of course not. They don’t have that opportunity the pleasure the choice to do that! If It finds something it will eat that the organism’s system can sustain itself with, it will eat it! No matter if it thinks it’s tasty or not. We as hobbyists love our animals and give them the sweet pleasure to decide what to eat and what not to eat. I’m not saying it’s wrong to do this, I mean I do it, but IRL that wouldn’t happen, we practically spoil our fish all day every day and night. Now in our tank system the fish is presented with the opportunity to feast at its leisure, and for CBB’s 8/10 it will be picky and not like this food and go for that other food instead, that’s fine, but this is not natural behavior you encounter while swimming in the wild or you see on YouTube or Netflix or anywhere else. Now, we would feed the fish what it decides to feast on, just because we don’t see that in the wild we will decide ok “no I’m not feeding you the additional this and make it starve and die”. No! The poor fish is not in a natural environment. Our Reef tanks aren’t natural. Sure they have natural stuff in it, but where is all that housed? A glass box or hole in the ground on our property. And I just went down a rabbit hole and I’m sure I haven’t explained this to it’s best and why QT CBB’s is not good or bad, which is why I said my words at the beginning lol.

@Troylee (to see this (again lol)
refuse to use copper. Maybe I am cruel. I am just done with it. Prazi and metro is pretty much it. I can feed directly with the metro and dose my display with prazi if needed. No one cares. Copper? They hate it.
I hate copper as well to the core!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say something more on why I wouldn’t QT a CBB, and I would like you to point out some things you like or would like to address further( I will pm you for this is something I’d like to discuss)

The reason I wouldn’t QT a CopperBand, is there are too many and I mean too many variables that would do more harm than good, despite what you (we all) normally hear, from various sources and highly esteemed people.

One variable is feeding. People say that one reason quarantining a CBB is beneficial, is because it has a chance to get used to you and the food you give and when and what you can give for food and has more opportunities, calmer opportunities, to go for the food. Here’s the thing.….does a CBB or ANY fish or ANY living organism for that matter in the ocean have the opportunity to calmly get used to something it may decide to eat and sustain itself with?! Would that organism go: “hmmm this might be tasty let me try this oh no I didn’t like it I’ll wait until something better drops by” !?!? NO! Of course not. They don’t have that opportunity the pleasure the choice to do that! If It finds something it will eat that the organism’s system can sustain itself with, it will eat it! No matter if it thinks it’s tasty or not. We as hobbyists love our animals and give them the sweet pleasure to decide what to eat and what not to eat. I’m not saying it’s wrong to do this, I mean I do it, but IRL that wouldn’t happen, we practically spoil our fish all day every day and night. Now in our tank system the fish is presented with the opportunity to feast at its leisure, and for CBB’s 8/10 it will be picky and not like this food and go for that other food instead, that’s fine, but this is not natural behavior you encounter while swimming in the wild or you see on YouTube or Netflix or anywhere else. Now, we would feed the fish what it decides to feast on, just because we don’t see that in the wild we will decide ok “no I’m not feeding you the additional this and make it starve and die”. No! The poor fish is not in a natural environment. Our Reef tanks aren’t natural. Sure they have natural stuff in it, but where is all that housed? A glass box or hole in the ground on our property. And I just went down a rabbit hole and I’m sure I haven’t explained this to it’s best and why QT CBB’s is not good or bad, which is why I said my words at the beginning lol.

@Troylee (to see this (again lol)

I hate copper as well to the core!
I feel ya! When I put a fish in my tank and it doesn’t eat I’m like hey!! You wanna die or you gonna figure this out? They always figure it out! My blue eye Kole didn’t eat for 3 weeks just grazed rocks and raced back and forth.. once it settled in and saw the other tangs tearing up the nori clip it jumped into action when the aggression subsided from the others.as for a cbb I’ve been wanting to get one but everyone I know keeps snatching them from the lfs and they die over the course of a week.. some skinny, some refuse to eat and some for no apparent reason.. a buddy of mine has went through a few blonde naso over the course of a year.. he gets about 2-3 months out of one it’s healthy and eating and poof! I’m saying it’s the poor collection efforts myself…

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems you all across the pond have healthier fish. Here wholesalers and fish stores I believe is the big problem

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not allowed to post in disease forum. Makes someone look more foolish. It’s a shame this place had so many great people and now it’s the copy and past show. The good is he doesn’t keep saying your fish is dying because you don’t feed garlic with the shrimp scampi now
Well in the wild fish eat at least two servings of garlic per day and a very healthy fish will end the day with a coffee enema.

After being told to tear down my tank because a fish had some sand stuck to a fin I'm a bit burned my the sick fish forum too.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you all across the pond have healthier fish. Here wholesalers and fish stores I believe is the big problem
A really good friend of mine does wholesale and he told me since covid happened most of the importers laid people off due to economical strain.. he also said when the fish come in now they just pretty much dump them in the bins vs drip acclimation and bringing salinity up to par etc.. they “wholesalers” just don’t have the man power they used to and the owners are just like hey….. what ever fish died they get credit from the exporter on the next batch and the vicious circle just continues on and we the people pay the price as everyone is charging more and more to cover their losses.. not to mention the fish we’re getting aren’t always the healthiest..

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not prophylactically QT, but I do utilize an observation tank. I will treat my fish to save their life, but I will not medicate or copper them "just in case". Silly.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not to mention the fish were getting aren’t always the healthiest..
I thought I was going crazy. I have seen such a decline in new fish shipments at the lfs these past few years. It's gut wrenching. And it is not the lfs fault.

I am so used to seeing plump fish come in, not paper thin.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was going crazy. I have seen such a decline in new fish shipments at the lfs these past few years. It's gut wrenching. And it is not the lfs fault.

I am so used to seeing plump fish come in, not paper thin.
That’s why I watch my local fb forums like a hawk for anyone breaking their tanks down and try to grab the fish pronto! This other chump normally beats me to it thou haha!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back