Wrasse Resort

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new guy finally showed up last night after being delayed by UPS. Terrible cell phone shot but it was all I could get before he buried for the night. I'm smitten! Look at that fiery red face!

09282023.jpg
What wrasse is this again?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Halichoeres rubricephalus. As he matures he'll look like this

1696006564953.jpeg
Can’t wait to see your female(I assume) because I’ve only seen males and I feel like the female is even prettier.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see your female(I assume) because I’ve only seen males and I feel like the female is even prettier.
Mine is a young initial-phase male. I've only seen females in pictures like this one.
Great looking wrasse in every phase.

1696009661098.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my new wrasse. I was out of town over the weekend so I went through my tank video footage to see what happened. He came out of the sand Saturday afternoon and just laid on the sandbed until he died. So bummed because he looked good and acted healthy before he hit the sand Thursday night.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think march 3rd this little adorable big eye walked in my life. Got to love the little ones

Message RE for more RH today. I’m feeling lucky. Bought lottery tickets and I’ll lose so hope to get lucky on RH. Always madness to the methods.
IMG_8772.jpeg
If he gets more RH I’m in with you!
High Five Best Friends GIF by Saturday Night Live

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I've been on here for awhile and decided it's finally time to create a tank thread. I won't bore you with a back story on how I got into the hobby or when I setup my first tank yada, yada so I'll just skip right to my current tank. I have a RSR 425XL that's been running for almost 2 years. l started the tank with 60Ibs of cherry primo live rock from Live Rock n Reef and 20lbs or so of CaribSea life rock arches. I planned on having wrasses that bury so my sand is a nice mix of Fiji pink and Special grade.

Here are a few pics of its humble beginnings....

Pic3.jpg

Several different macro algae popped up all over the live rock within a few weeks. One of my favorite things about setting up a reef tank is watching your live rock come to life!

Pic5.jpg

Every time I get gulf live rock I get some cirolanid isopod hitchhickers. This time was no exception, but I was able to remove most of them daily in my filter socks. However, about 4 months in I had a large isopod attach itself to my H. chrysus (aka yellow wrasse) but I was able to manually remove the isopod from her. I never saw another one after that, thankfully! This guy was also a hitchhiker that came in as a tiny fella but quickly grew and had a taste for ricordea. His name is Sump Crab.
crab.jpg

The ugly phase.... Around this time I got tired of the macro algae invasion so I picked up a Kole tang.

Pic6.jpg

Despite the Kole tang's best efforts, all he managed to do was rip the algae into pieces which clogged up my MP40s and spread the algae throughout the tank. I ended up removing the Kole tang. The pink macro in this pic was really pretty and it loved being in the flow of my MP40.
Pic11.jpg

After the Kole tang was gone I picked up a Copperband. Even though she had a voracious appetite she kept losing weight to what I suspect was internal parasites. I pulled her into QT a few times and tried oral metronidazole in her food (I must've had the dose right bc she wouldn't eat it) and 4 rounds of prazi, but sadly she eventually withered away :(

Pic12.jpg

And of course here are a few early pics of some of my wrasses!

P. attenuatus (aka diamond tail flasher), C. jordani (aka flame wrasse), C. exquisitus (aka exquisite wrasse), H. biocellatus (aka red-lined wrasse) and M. negrosensis (aka black leopard)

Pic14.jpg

Pic15.jpg

My tank no longer has all of this macro algae. I ended up adding 3 mexican turbo snails - Larry, Curly and Moe. They ate all of it.

Thanks for looking! More to come....
What kind of light do you have on that tank?

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp when it rains it pours. My mother in law had a stroke and nearly died, garbage going on at work, and I’m pretty sure that red head wrasse brought something into my tank. I’ve lost my earmuff, Kuiter’s leopard, and my Nahacky fairy is on his way out. What a crap week.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp when it rains it pours. My mother in law had a stroke and nearly died, garbage going on at work, and I’m pretty sure that red head wrasse brought something into my tank. I’ve lost my earmuff, Kuiter’s leopard, and my Nahacky fairy is on his way out. What a crap week.
So sorry for both MIL and fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry. That’s awful.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back