Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no no
no
No No No GIF

they are devils! Always are! No! No!
Fire Elmo GIF
Back when I did aquarium maintenance I caught my fair share of them for clients, no doubt there are more bad ones than good ones.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is it that makes leopard wrasses "expert"? What they eat, how often they need fed?
Easily stressed and prone to fatal shipping injuries. Once they're established they are simple. Its just getting them happy at first that is the problem.

#WrasseWednesday Got home late and this was the only one awake!
IMG_7562.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is it that makes leopard wrasses "expert"? What they eat, how often they need fed?
It depends on the leopard wrasse, some species are more difficult to keep than others. They have a high mortality rate going through the supply chain so vendors deem them "expert" so they can exempt them from their guarantees. Leopards are prone to mouth damage during shipping and internal parasites due to their natural diet so that's another reason vendors won't guarantee them. I highly recommend deworming leopard wrasses with prazipro.

Some of the easier leopard wrasses to keep are the regular leopard (meleagris), the blue star (bipartitus), the ornate (ornatus), and moyer's (moyeri). Deworm them and feed them frequently and you'll be all good :)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the leopard wrasse, some species are more difficult to keep than others. They have a high mortality rate going through the supply chain so vendors deem them "expert" so they can exempt them from their guarantees. Leopards are prone to mouth damage during shipping and internal parasites due to their natural diet so that's another reason vendors won't guarantee them. I highly recommend deworming leopard wrasses with prazipro.

Some of the easier leopard wrasses to keep are the regular leopard (meleagris), the blue star (bipartitus), the ornate (ornatus), and moyer's (moyeri). Deworm them and feed them frequently and you'll be all good :)
They do like to eat often don't they

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to know. Next year then. Too much going on now I think.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Kuiters looks to have a bit of color. Send he/she to me and in a few days I’ll have a beautiful looking male for you. I would say Kuiters may be a male stuck transition
LOL so true! She's been transitioning for over a year. That pic is about 4 months old she has more blue in her fins and more pattern to her face now. When I get back from my trip I'll snap an updated pic for you.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally done traveling for awhile so now I can focus on my tanks!
Sadly, I lost my radiant wrasse while I was out of town. And one of my MP40s broke so some of my corals are ticked.

But on the upside, my pipefish tanks are doing well!

I'm way overdue for pics so once I get the tanks cleaned up I'll get some posted.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally done traveling for awhile so now I can focus on my tanks!
Sadly, I lost my radiant wrasse while I was out of town. And one of my MP40s broke so some of my corals are ticked.

But on the upside, my pipefish tanks are doing well!

I'm way overdue for pics so once I get the tanks cleaned up I'll get some posted.
Sorry about the radiant but good to have you back!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back