Wrasse selection and introducing more bar gobies.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I practically haven’t added anything to my tank in 6 months. I really need to get more fish to boost my nutrient levels for coral health and color. It’s a 90 gallon with 110 gallons actual water volume. My fish load is very low with 4 bar gobies, a yt damsel, two smaller clownfish and one large perc clown. I really love bar gobies and I’d like to add more- as many as possible, up to a dozen. A couple months ago 3 of the 4 got huge, they seemed to pair off and the smallest two moved to the other side of the tank. They don’t fight but they flash their fins often and swim beneath each other in some dominance/mating ritual. Would these gobies accept new bar gobies? What about other species of dartfish like firefish, blue gudgeon, scissor tails etc? Any fish will go through tank transfer quarantine and I could keep them in a seperate tank for months to beef them up if needed.

I’m also looking for suggestions on a peaceful but bold wrasse to serve as a preventative coral pest control measure. I have a large banded coral shrimp but may swap for a cleaner shrimp. I have some margaritas snails and 3 big healthy turbo snails. I also have a ton of baby trochus snails. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if the wrasse picks them off but i’d prefer not. Are there any wrasses that tend to eat pests but not small snails?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I practically haven’t added anything to my tank in 6 months. I really need to get more fish to boost my nutrient levels for coral health and color. It’s a 90 gallon with 110 gallons actual water volume. My fish load is very low with 4 bar gobies, a yt damsel, two smaller clownfish and one large perc clown. I really love bar gobies and I’d like to add more- as many as possible, up to a dozen. A couple months ago 3 of the 4 got huge, they seemed to pair off and the smallest two moved to the other side of the tank. They don’t fight but they flash their fins often and swim beneath each other in some dominance/mating ritual. Would these gobies accept new bar gobies? What about other species of dartfish like firefish, blue gudgeon, scissor tails etc? Any fish will go through tank transfer quarantine and I could keep them in a seperate tank for months to beef them up if needed.

I’m also looking for suggestions on a peaceful but bold wrasse to serve as a preventative coral pest control measure. I have a large banded coral shrimp but may swap for a cleaner shrimp. I have some margaritas snails and 3 big healthy turbo snails. I also have a ton of baby trochus snails. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if the wrasse picks them off but i’d prefer not. Are there any wrasses that tend to eat pests but not small snails?

Well.........let’s ask the best!

@eatbreakfast

RStanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the gobies but I have a yellow coris wrasse that is a model reef citizen. Very active and fun to watch. Mine stands up to my bully Royal Gramma but doesn’t antagonize it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be possible to add more bar gobies. Based on the behaviors you're describing more specimens would diffuse any 'intimidation.'

Different species of Ptereleotris can be added as groups. Firefish could only be added as indiduals or as bonded prs.

Small, peaceful Halichoeres species, such as chrysus, leucurus, argus, leucoxanthus, biocellatus, and richmondi would work.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the suggestions, i like the chrysus, the leucoxanthis and the leucurus. Do any of these tend to stray from picking on snails in favor of worms? I have spaghetti worms that seem to irritate corals to the point of making them recede. I also have some mystery worms that seem beneficial but nobody can id them in my thread in the hitchhiker id forum.

Any suggestions on the amount of bar gobies to add? I’d like to add 8 for a total of 12. 3 of my 4 current gobies are very thick and bold. I’m thinking that after tank transfer treatment I could keep them separate in my ~20g refugium to let them bond and beef them up for a month

655154A7-890D-4358-8065-13B55D03F0FD.png

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the suggestions, i like the chrysus, the leucoxanthis and the leucurus. Do any of these tend to stray from picking on snails in favor of worms? I have spaghetti worms that seem to irritate corals to the point of making them recede. I also have some mystery worms that seem beneficial but nobody can id them in my thread in the hitchhiker id forum.

Any suggestions on the amount of bar gobies to add? I’d like to add 8 for a total of 12. 3 of my 4 current gobies are very thick and bold. I’m thinking that after tank transfer treatment I could keep them separate in my ~20g refugium to let them bond and beef them up for a month

655154A7-890D-4358-8065-13B55D03F0FD.png
8 would be fine.

Those wrasse species are mostly well-behaved with snails.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 57 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back