Wrasse sleeping under elegance

Crystabel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a lubbock fairy wrasse and the last few days, the new spot it sleeps in is at the base of our elegance coral...

Is it OK? It has been a few days and so far all is well but i am worried it will get hurt!

Do i need to try to prevent her from going there?

Thanks in advance!

Isabelle

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. Fish are smart and will not go where they can get hurt.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. Fish are smart and will not go where they can get hurt.

+1, and really your only way of protecting it would be to remove one or the other... trying to coax it out of there and keep it out if thats where it wants to be will be nearly impossibly especially long term.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually trying to move it out could cause more damage then good even as you could damage the elegance, or cause the wrasse to get bumped by it at a stronger point and cause damage or death to the elegance (assuming the coral is strong enough to sting the fish enough to do serious damage).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't concern me. I'm willing to bet the mucus cocoon would protect the fish from any potential sting of the elegance anyway.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't concern me. I'm willing to bet the mucus cocoon would protect the fish from any potential sting of the elegance anyway.

I didn't even think about the mucus cocoon they sleep in.... but it would still be "at risk" on its in/out trips before it starts its nap.... but again, it wouldn't keep doing it if it was in any danger.

OP
OP
C

Crystabel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i wouldn't have touched it exactly as I was worried to cause more trouble!! But i was wondering if i had to try to prevent this....
But will cross my fingers all continues to go well... Shrimps walk all over it and fishes sometimes pick at it when I feed....

Thanks alot!

Will try to get a picture!

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to tell you how smart these guys are. I HAD a hovens wrasse, he was way too smart and ate a pistol shrimp's head right off just seconds after I put him in the tank. He knew what he was up against. He didn't just attack it. He spotted it, came over, hovered above the pistol for a second and went straight down to the head. He didn't go at it from the front and he attacked it while his body was vertical, not at an angle. Anyways, I spot feed my torch and that freakin wrasse would take food from the mouth of that torch without getting stung. I wouldn't worry too much about him. Yes I got rid of my wrasse because nothing...NOTHING messes with my midas blenny or my pistol shrimp.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back