Wrasses for 90 gallon

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 90 gallon tank which will house, yellow tang, pair of clowns, 5 blue/green chromis, lawnmower blenny, and may add mandarin dragonet in future, looking to add some wrasses. What would you recommend that's peaceful/reef safe and won't eat my CUC. These are some that I like but I have never kept wrasse. Let me know what do you think and which ones are compatible. Can I keep multiple of the same species?

1. Flasher wrasse

2. Yellow coris

3. Peacock wrasse

4. Leopard wrasse

5. Checkerboard wrasse

6. Pyjama wrasse

7. Clown wrasse

8. Multicolored wrasse

NOTE: I will not be adding all of them these are just some that I like I will be selecting 2 or 3 species. Don't get mad at my selection as stated above never kept wrasses

Thanks in advance

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you have not read this thread its very informative:

I’m no expert but my two cents would be to get a fairy wrasse, a flasher wrasse and if you have a sand bed the yellow coris wrasse. Happy reefing!

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher and leopard are not easy to get acclimated, and like to either jump or die soon after introduction in my experience. Melanurus would be my top pick for peaceful and beautiful, mystery and yellow coris. Any of the fairy wrasses like solar or similar are pretty solid picks as well, but the melanurus is likely the most hardy wrasse I've kept through the years and never aggressive to anything I add and never bullied by anyone.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leopard and clown wrasse (or red coris wrasse) can be hard to get to eat. Also, the clown wrasse will eat inverts like crazy. They will flip over small rocks or unattached frags looking for food. If you do want a clown wrasse, get a sub-adult or adult as they are more likely to eat then juveniles. Also, some of these wrasses will bury themselves in the sand for days, weeks, or even a few months and then come out of nowhere. They are massive jumpers so, you will need a tight lid. I wish I could tell you about the other wrasses, but I don't know much about them.

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you have not read this thread its very informative:

I’m no expert but my two cents would be to get a fairy wrasse, a flasher wrasse and if you have a sand bed the yellow coris wrasse. Happy reefing!
Nice - I had some of the same questions . Looking forward to reading

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No matter the wrasse, you will need a tight tank lid. I am not familiar with a couple of common names you have used for wrasses but I suggest you read Hunter's articles as a starting point. Generally certain Cirrhilabrus (fairies) will not mix well together. You can however, mix Cirrhilabrus wrasses with Paracheilinus (flasher) wrasses. Additionally, I would steer clear of Pseudocheilinus family, that is the lined wrasses and mystery wrasse. They are notoriously aggressive and not good tank mates. Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon (Leopards) are pod hunters and sand dwellers and both relatively peaceful. Be advised though that some Halichoeres get big and some have temperments and a taste for motile inverts once they are adults. Good luck!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasse would be a perfect addition for what you are looking for. Here's a pic of one i picked up yesterday.
wrasse1.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back