Wrasses question for pros.......

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am between a melarnus wrasses and the Hawaiian flames, maybe a flasher, my question is , will any of these mess with my clam? He is about 3.5 in , my shrimps, or my cuc?? I figure I will lose some stuff but shrimps would be an expensive treat as would the clam. Thoughts and suggestions guys??:nerd:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few wrasses, and I've never seen any of them go after shrimp or snails. I can't comment on the clam, as I haven't kept one in years. Included in my current stock is:

Red Tail Flasher
Rhomboid
Lineatus
Labouti
Pink Margin
Flame

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my wrasse (small tail) go after a shrimp, but the shrimp was on it's way out ( molting problem), a friend of mine can't keep shrimp because his mystery wrasse likes the taste if them

I don't think you will have any issues with the wrasses your looking at

Seasonedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok with any of the wrasses your looking at I have a radiant and mystery together and they don't pick at any of my clams or inverts. I even have multiple shrimp and hermits no problems at all. I'm sure size determines appetite for most wrasses as both mine are just shy of 3 "

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything there is fine, mostly. The melanurus may pick off an occasional snail or hermit, but they don't destroy your CUC. Keep them well fed and you'll probably never see it happen.

Mine will pick on an occasional hermit, but often the hermit is faster than the wrasse and gets into the safety of his shell. Mine doesn't bother snails, but I have heard of some going after snails if they get flipped over.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! The hermits are kindof large, so i think they will be fine. Anyways, what size screen do you guys use for the top when you make it? I saw like 10 different sizes at lowe's last night. So suggestions????

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear 1/4 inch. You can get it from BulkReefSupply. Thats what I use and it works great.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Paul! I will look into it.

How big is your tank Nemo? I have some extra pieces that I'd gladly send for free if you want. I have to buy a BIG sheet for my new tank, so the few pieces that I have aren't big enough. Let me know the dimensions and I'll see if its big enough for you.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 36 x 18. Would probably need about 40 on just to be safe if you have it btk.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the piece I have right now is exactly 48"x24" and I'll measure it tomorrow morning to be sure. You are more than welcome to it.

Back