• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB. Nori sheet feeder similar to the Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer

Item Price
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
NO shipping is NOT available

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to design & buy a better version of the Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer.
I would like to see a slightly different size and a much larger capacity.
Most importantly a different latching design. Too many times has the door flung open and sent me hunting for Nori in the tank.
If this is a project you're willing to take on PM me and we can begin working together to come up with something awesome.

71cy4nFbfhL.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a few different ones. Hole size is about 1/2" square. The smallest has dimensions of 4" tall x 2 3/8" wide, or 1/8th of a Nori sheet. The larger one is a 4" x 4" square. I also have a long narrow version 8" x 2 3/8" wide. You can put multiple layers of nori or some other dried seaweed as long as it's not over thick. For example the 4" square will hold a full sheet of nori folded in half and half again.
Small one pictured.
NoriFeedSmall1.jpg

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a few different ones. Hole size is about 1/2" square. The smallest has dimensions of 4" tall x 2 3/8" wide, or 1/8th of a Nori sheet. The larger one is a 4" x 4" square. I also have a long narrow version 8" x 2 3/8" wide. You can put multiple layers of nori or some other dried seaweed as long as it's not over thick. For example the 4" square will hold a full sheet of nori folded in half and half again.
Small one pictured.
NoriFeedSmall1.jpg
Are you open to tweaking this? As I'm typing I see its a major redesign of what you have in the photo.

- Size: 4" x 7.5" This is what is needed for the nori, the overall size will probably be larger
3/8" Space between the lid and the base. Should hold about 5 sheets of nori folded in half.
- Thicken the width of each grid member to with hold up against the trashing on day one and as well as two years later.
- Im not a fan of the friction closing system. Could we integrate two magnets to keep it closed at the top? Is there a better solution to securing the lid? This is my #1 concern. Multiple Gourmet Grazer's have failed in under a year due to the locking system.
- A solid back similar to the Gourmet Grazer
- Move the mounting magnet to behind the solid back maybe in the center, or the top whichever would best provide structural integrity. Maybe if its at the top the magnets on the lid can bond to the main mounting magnets.
- Magnets all need to be epoxy sealed.
- Glass is 3/4" so ideally Mounting magnets strong enough for 1"

If you need drawings I can sit down and come up with something rough for you to work off of.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you open to tweaking this? As I'm typing I see its a major redesign of what you have in the photo.

- Size: 4" x 7.5" This is what is needed for the nori, the overall size will probably be larger
3/8" Space between the lid and the base. Should hold about 5 sheets of nori folded in half.
- Thicken the width of each grid member to with hold up against the trashing on day one and as well as two years later.
- Im not a fan of the friction closing system. Could we integrate two magnets to keep it closed at the top? Is there a better solution to securing the lid? This is my #1 concern. Multiple Gourmet Grazer's have failed in under a year due to the locking system.
- A solid back similar to the Gourmet Grazer
- Move the mounting magnet to behind the solid back maybe in the center, or the top whichever would best provide structural integrity. Maybe if its at the top the magnets on the lid can bond to the main mounting magnets.
- Magnets all need to be epoxy sealed.
- Glass is 3/4" so ideally Mounting magnets strong enough for 1"

If you need drawings I can sit down and come up with something rough for you to work off of.
I can do redesign to whatever you like. It's a locking tab not a friction lock. The small one pictured has a wedge shaped projection on the magnet piece which catches the top rail of the top piece. It locks in solidly. The larger versions have locking tabs half way down the sides as well. Photo may help to show it better. Once snapped in place it doesn't come apart easily.
IMG_E7006[1].JPG

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do redesign to whatever you like. It's a locking tab not a friction lock. The small one pictured has a wedge shaped projection on the magnet piece which catches the top rail of the top piece. It locks in solidly. The larger versions have locking tabs half way down the sides as well. Photo may help to show it better. Once snapped in place it doesn't come apart easily.
IMG_E7006[1].JPG

I like that a lot better.

- Can you make the back (green) a solid piece and match the measurements I listed above? With that style of locking system how would it work when nori isnt in it? Would it have a little bit of play?
- Also are you good on the glass thickness and epoxy sealing of the magnets?

Once you get that rendered shoot me a few photos or if your programs allows a 3d model would be awesome.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that a lot better.

- Can you make the back (green) a solid piece and match the measurements I listed above? With that style of locking system how would it work when nori isnt in it? Would it have a little bit of play?
- Also are you good on the glass thickness and epoxy sealing of the magnets?

Once you get that rendered shoot me a few photos or if your programs allows a 3d model would be awesome.
Solid back is not a problem. The current design locks together with just a very small gap between the two pieces to hold the nori from getting pulled out easily. If you want something like 3/8" to hold 5 sheets folded in half (10 sheets thick) there would potentially be nori getting pulled out as it gets reduced and there isn't so much force holding them in between. Perhaps smaller openings on the front? I did one with 1/4" squares before. I will have to think on it.

Epoxy sealing is not a problem. Glass thickness is not a problem. I have strong N42-52 Neodymium magnets which hold well through 3/4" thick particle board.

I agree the cross pieces of the front section would need to be beefed up a bit to hold that many sheets and the increased size. I usually use ABS plastic which is reef safe and will hold up in water but is slightly flexible.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I will see how thick 10 sheets of nori is with my digital caliper.
When I feed the tank Ill measure how large the squares are and how wide the grid is on the Gourmet Grazer. I don't mind the size. The smaller square and a thicker grid may keep the nori more in place.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed the tank Ill measure how large the squares are and how wide the grid is on the Gourmet Grazer. I don't mind the size. The smaller square and a thicker grid may keep the nori more in place.
Sounds good. I measured some grocery store nori sheets at around 8 1/4" x 7 1/2". 10 sheets thick ended up at 2.5mm thick with slight pressure on the caliper. Could press it down to 2mm without too much more.

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still following guys, I am very interested in a couple of these, once you get them figured out

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on this custom designed one..
Thinking two magnets because of the 4" x 8" dimensions of the nori holder area. Overall with the round magnets on both ends it is a little over 10" May put the magnets on the other sides and switch to the rectangular magnets (orange piece) Hole size is 11.2 x 11.4mm there is a 2.4mm gap between the surface of the solid back and the bottom of the top piece.
IMG_E7008[1].JPG

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be interested in a couple of the black ones, I don't put that many sheets in what I use now, but it always get packed at the bottom & the fish stop eating it. Another question is, the latching of it, my tangs are very aggressive when it comes time to eat some nori & as the other guy mentioned, I don't want the door top open & the sheet just float away? You can tx me at 740-591-4871 & we can continue this through txing, or we can keep this going ?? Up to you

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im back life got busy for a few. Here are some measurements I took not sure if it’s helpful

Attachments

• 7384F023-5D6E-4BCF-87E7-7F5A728D6BF8.jpeg
    7384F023-5D6E-4BCF-87E7-7F5A728D6BF8.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 06D9C404-CFBC-4B58-BBFD-89C2F6899B8A.jpeg
    06D9C404-CFBC-4B58-BBFD-89C2F6899B8A.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 46
  • FD1C1A60-321A-40E3-9326-AD4246ECB81D.jpeg
    FD1C1A60-321A-40E3-9326-AD4246ECB81D.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on this custom designed one..
Thinking two magnets because of the 4" x 8" dimensions of the nori holder area. Overall with the round magnets on both ends it is a little over 10" May put the magnets on the other sides and switch to the rectangular magnets (orange piece) Hole size is 11.2 x 11.4mm there is a 2.4mm gap between the surface of the solid back and the bottom of the top piece.
IMG_E7008[1].JPG
I like it ill send you a Pm for pricing/ payment.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back