WTB Red Dragon Macro

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The terms "dragon" and "fire" are used loosely when describing macro algae so its hard to say what you are referring to.

More often than not when someone calls it "red dragons breath" , or "flame" it is actually just gracilaria hayi, the most common form of red macro in the hobby. It grows slowly under white light, but not so well under blue. Brighter light turns it orange, lower light turns it red.

True dragons breath and dragons tongue are more expensive and harder to get and are Halymenia durvilliei. Dragons breath is a form that grows more bushy, dragons tongue grow longer. Both have fluorescent tips under actinics where gracilaria does not (unless dying back).

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The terms "dragon" and "fire" are used loosely when describing macro algae so its hard to say what you are referring to.

More often than not when someone calls it "red dragons breath" , or "flame" it is actually just gracilaria hayi, the most common form of red macro in the hobby. It grows slowly under white light, but not so well under blue. Brighter light turns it orange, lower light turns it red.

True dragons breath and dragons tongue are more expensive and harder to get and are Halymenia durvilliei. Dragons breath is a form that grows more bushy, dragons tongue grow longer. Both have fluorescent tips under actinics where gracilaria does not (unless dying back).
Thanks for the info

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back