WVNeds's Tanks

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch him now and fry him up.... softshell crab sandwich...mmmmmmmm ;)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been an interesting week
Monday my urchins spawned

Hopefully I will not have 1000 little stabby babies.

Then the power went out from an ice storm and we sat around in the dark until Friday night. The gas stove kept the basement 68 degrees. We ate cold food and made water for tea on top of the stove. We finally rented a hotel room Thursday so we could take a bath. We didn't stay though because of the animals.
i-QD6cgJ4-M.jpg

I put the generator up and ran 4 return pumps, the skimmer and 1650 watts of heaters. The tanks got down to 73.4 on the coldest day.
When the power came back my ORP was -48, water was slightly cloudy and smelled probably from the biopellet reactor flushing.

I seem to have had one casualty. I have not seen the yellow tang last night or this morning. He has disappeared.
Everyone else seems fine.
i-SBLZvmK-L.jpg

i-sRgvSf5-M.jpg

We are getting a whole house generator. They are coming March 4th to do the survey.

This really sucked. Dopamine and gasoline got me through it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then the power went out from an ice storm and we sat around in the dark until Friday night. The gas stove kept the basement 68 degrees. We ate cold food and made water for tea on top of the stove. We finally rented a hotel room Thursday so we could take a bath. We didn't stay though because of the animals.
i-QD6cgJ4-M.jpg

I put the generator up and ran 4 return pumps, the skimmer and 1650 watts of heaters. The tanks got down to 73.4 on the coldest day.
When the power came back my ORP was -48, water was slightly cloudy and smelled probably from the biopellet reactor flushing.

I seem to have had one casualty. I have not seen the yellow tang last night or this morning. He has disappeared.
i-SBLZvmK-L.jpg

i-sRgvSf5-M.jpg

We are getting a whole house generator. They are coming March 4th to do the survey.

whole house generator was the first thing we put in, before the tank, when we bought our new home.
figured I had it all covered, till the boiler went out late on a Friday night. :rolleyes:
glad you made it through.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i-QD6cgJ4-M.jpg

i-SBLZvmK-L.jpg

i-sRgvSf5-M.jpg

Awesome on the urchins, sucks on the power thing and tang.

For a whole home, we have a Generac that runs off of diesel and another smaller one that runs on our natural gas. The big one was one from a hospital that was torn down and bought at an auction for cheap, so I use that for the shop and tanks. The natural gas one is 48kW and runs just about the whole house. The diesel one is 100kW and is a beast. I didn’t need the 100kW one, but for the price, couldn’t pass it up lol. The plan was to put the diesel in a rock crawler, but scraped that idea when I lost power for a week a few years ago. The house was covered with the natural gas one, but my second source of income was not.

Either way, if you can afford it, go bigger than you need. The generator will last longer as the engine load will be less to generate the power you need. Plus, if you have natural gas, go that route and buy the propane tank. It is possible for a pumping station to lose power and the adaptor isn’t expensive at all. It ties in line to your gas feed and you just flip a few valves, hook up the tank and change the fuel type in the control panel.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whole house generator was the first thing we put in, before the tank, when we bought our new home.
figured I had it all covered, till the boiler went out late on a Friday night. :rolleyes:
glad you made it through.

Awesome on the urchins, sucks on the power thing and tang.

For a whole home, we have a Generac that runs off of diesel and another smaller one that runs on our natural gas. The big one was one from a hospital that was torn down and bought at an auction for cheap, so I use that for the shop and tanks. The natural gas one is 48kW and runs just about the whole house. The diesel one is 100kW and is a beast. I didn’t need the 100kW one, but for the price, couldn’t pass it up lol. The plan was to put the diesel in a rock crawler, but scraped that idea when I lost power for a week a few years ago. The house was covered with the natural gas one, but my second source of income was not.

Either way, if you can afford it, go bigger than you need. The generator will last longer as the engine load will be less to generate the power you need. Plus, if you have natural gas, go that route and buy the propane tank. It is possible for a pumping station to lose power and the adaptor isn’t expensive at all. It ties in line to your gas feed and you just flip a few valves, hook up the tank and change the fuel type in the control panel.
I now know exactly what this house is going to do without power with nothing but the gas stove running in the basement. It got down to 16 degrees at night outside. I was somewhat surprised. It is 2 stories over a basement and the kitchen got down to 54 and the bedrooms 59. The room with the stove got down to 67. While annoying these are not dangerously low temps and the pipes never got close to freezing.

After we get the whole house gen set and I have my 3500 watt I have now plus the gas stove I think we will be well off. With just the downstairs gas furnace and hot water we would have been fine. Generac has a 24K model that is actually 21K on NG and that is what we will probably get. It is a 2 cylinder air cooled engine. They have a 3 cylinder water cooled set that is slightly larger I am interested in but that would double the cost of the job though it would be quieter and probably last longer.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now know exactly what this house is going to do without power with nothing but the gas stove running in the basement. It got down to 16 degrees at night outside. I was somewhat surprised. It is 2 stories over a basement and the kitchen got down to 54 and the bedrooms 59. The room with the stove got down to 67. While annoying these are not dangerously low temps and the pipes never got close to freezing.

After we get the whole house gen set and I have my 3500 watt I have now plus the gas stove I think we will be well off. With just the downstairs gas furnace and hot water we would have been fine. Generac has a 24K model that is actually 21K on NG and that is what we will probably get. It is a 2 cylinder air cooled engine. They have a 3 cylinder water cooled set that is slightly larger I am interested in but that would double the cost of the job though it would be quieter and probably last longer.
The 24/21 will be fine. Do not let air cooled scare you. Keep up with the maintenance schedule and you will be fine. Air cooled is air and oil, so to speak. The oil and case are your heat sink. Think about what a commercial lawnmower goes through and how long they are ran at max rpm under load. A generator typically will not see that level of load for that amount of time. In turn, it will last a long time with good maintenance.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just about anything will last with correct maintenance, engines i mean. I dont know much about generators.

I have never seen urchins spawn in tanks before so HUGE congrats to you!

In celebration (of just the urchins obviously ;) ) I made a cream cheese and strawberry filled king cake tonight. Delicious!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few rough spots. No power for days, an energized sump, dead heaters. Lots of algae. The winter blahs.
I lost a few fish during the blackout, 3 chromis and the yellow tang. All my xenia died. It doesnt seem to be cold tolerant at all.
So I relamped the T5s, put the Tunze pumps back in and got 50 snails and 25 hermits. I have 4 new 300 watt heaters on the shelf in case the crab decides to rip more wires out. I should probably get a few pumps too.

IMG_3438_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3444_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3443_HEIC-M.jpg
IMG_3439_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3440_HEIC-M.jpg

Seems to be coming around now.
IMG_3442_HEIC-M.jpg
IMG_3441_HEIC-M.jpg

When the power came back on my ORP was -49.

I put the big lights with 10 power cords on smart plugs and took out the timers. I can control them from my desk now and the clocks all stay in sync.

I ordered feeder guppies for the lions and got 300 ghost shrimp instead. Most died and they are supposed to reship me the guppies. Then I figured out the kH was too low in the feeder tank for shrimp. I pitched 4 big sea shells in and they stopped dying.
IMG_3428_HEIC-M.jpg

The aquariums go on.
IMG_3434_HEIC-L.jpg

Now to clean the glass good and get rid of the salt creep.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned up my slop hole tanks a bit. Some of the medical stuff is over.
IMG_3541-L.jpg

IMG_3543-M.jpg

IMG_3540_HEIC-M.jpg

I got a lot of algae in the big tank and none in the 75.
IMG_3544-M.jpg

I guess I might need to order some more urchins and snails.
I screwed up and left my doser in programming mode for several days so my parameters got a little wonky. That may have helped grow the algae a bit.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an interesting new development a new wave of crabs has appeared in my tank.
IMG_3569_HEIC-M.jpg

last year I posted a video of one of these releasing babies into my tank. Now I am wondering if some of them made it. I have not seen any for several months.
Now I have seen at least 6 and suspect there are more. I am getting lots of excavating at night around the rocks all the way across the tank. This one must have dug to way under the center of the rock pile because my fire shrimp was behind him looking at me from the hole. Time for a flashlight hunt tonight.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 24/21 will be fine. Do not let air cooled scare you. Keep up with the maintenance schedule and you will be fine. Air cooled is air and oil, so to speak. The oil and case are your heat sink. Think about what a commercial lawnmower goes through and how long they are ran at max rpm under load. A generator typically will not see that level of load for that amount of time. In turn, it will last a long time with good maintenance.
I never updated this I see.
We ordered a 32kW, 4 cylinder water cooled NG fueled. The QS series runs at a lower RPM (1800 vs 3600), is quieter and has a longer life according to the guy that came. It is supposed to be shipped 7-23 if all goes well. Really it fit the energy use for our house the best without lots of managed loads. There will still be a few. I told him the tanks have to be on always. They are going to add a sub panel so the pony breakers can be removed and I can have another circuit in the fish room.
protector-c2-qs-gas-left.png

GENERAC PROTECTOR 32KW QS STANDBY GENERATOR​

In the fine print the air cooled 24 is only 21 on NG and the 21 is less than that.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying again with a dwarf zebra this time. All these small lions seem willing to eat are live shrimp. He wont even look at a small guppy. He also expects it to be no more than 3 inches away. Hopefully it will get better at the hunting thing.
i-ZWt4DXh-M.jpg

Getting it to eat it before piggy gets it is a challenge
i-RdR86qc-M.jpg

I have a little lion taming whip and chair to make him get back.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little zebra ate some guppies and I have 500 shrimp coming from eBay I will release into the sump. There are some living in their now. Now that I removed the UV maybe they will start reproducing.
The big eel and lion
IMG_3600_HEIC-M.jpg

and the little ones
IMG_3599_HEIC-M.jpg

They all ate yesterday.

Everybody is fine
IMG_3594_HEIC-M.jpg

I think my system is pretty much full now so I must no more fish, no more fish.
In my experience if you put too many in they start disappearing until there aren't to many again.
The little bicolor chromis went into full damsel mode on the new blue reef chromis. I am kind of disappointed but live and learn.
IMG_3595_HEIC-L.jpg
The crab in the fuge has started flexing his muscle on my equipment. I need to come up with a plan B for flow in the tank since I cant keep a wavemaker in there.

My next project is to modify the light shade on the big tank so I can run the light lower. Several things look poopy in the 240 that look fine in the 75 so it isn't the water and I added the new MP60s so the flow is fine now even in the middle of the tank.

The xenia that died so dramatically after the power outage is making a strong comeback now.
IMG_3601_HEIC-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up today.
Put 8000mg of fluconazole in Saturday for the GHA. I think I left the MH bulbs in too long and they went yellow.
There is none in the 75.
I have a third lion coming tomorrow. I missed the fuzzy so I got another. The Zebra is fine.
IMG_3622-L.jpg

IMG_3624-L.jpg

IMG_3619_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_3620_HEIC-L.jpg

The trigger has teeth you can see now.
IMG_3618_HEIC-L.jpg

The skimmers have been off because of the fluconazole so a lot of stuff is in the water. I turned off the ozone too.

Just sweating it out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back