Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just got in my WWC order and looking at their care guide they state to wait until10-24 hours AFTER adding the corals to your reef tank to dip. This seems counter intuitive and I though I'd ask what you fine people do.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally I believe you’d put them in a qt or observation tank for that time rather than right in the display.

I don’t have either and have tried both a dip first and after a few days and the coral survivability definitely feels better if you dip later. Especially with sps. The shipping stress seems to affect the corals quite a bit and waiting to dip has let me get past the first few days on corals that I still can’t keep properly yet.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the second paragraph just below the one that states this explains why they recommend this (as well as hinting at a acclimation or qt tank).

We recommend that you wait 10 to 24 hours after adding your new corals to your reef to dip. You might ask, “Isn’t this enough time for parasites and undesirables to spread?” The likelihood of this happening is very small as they are few and far between, parasites, just like your new corals are also adjusting to the new environment that is your reef. This is another reason that we recommend you lightly blow off your corals while acclimating as this will also help in reducing the possibility of adding something unintended to your reef. It’s also another great way to get to know your corals better!

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a big shipment from them and dipped right away. Nothing high end though. Touchiest item being a birdsnest but is doing fine. I dip with Revive

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thinking is the dip is further shock after transport and thus frag doesn’t recover.
You’d figure they would know.
Sounds risky, not for me.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip every frag, every time before adding in tank. Every coral seller has something on their frags. Sometimes nothing harmful, sometimes devastating. Some things may make it through the dip anyway. That's where you learn who to trust to buy from.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped everything but the Xenia with revive. Not sure if pulsing xenia can handle being dipped. It was Gonis and Cyphastrea and they seem to be bouncing back ok.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped everything but the Xenia with revive. Not sure if pulsing xenia can handle being dipped. It was Gonis and Cyphastrea and they seem to be bouncing back ok.
I dipped my xenia in seachem coral dip, doing just fine.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef primer every time I receive a shipment, regardless of the corals condition. Never had a loss from dipping.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back