WWC OG VS Other Bounces

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference in husbandry of the OG versus other bounce variations?

In my system WWC OG bounce will not thrive, most slowly shrink to nothing over a 6 month period. However other bounce; Reef Koi, Sunkiss, Circus, and plenty of the no name variations all grow and split. Some like the Sunkiss multiply to quickly for my liking! I can’t figure out why the OG will not at least sustain life but others flourish.

Anyone have an idea?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many have you tried and from how many different sources?

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 over the past couple years. 2 were from members tanks, 2 from larger vendors. The members tank shots and selling pics looked legit and had large numbers of OG due to splitting, and the vendors are highly regarded.
It would really seem to be more myself or my tank/ system that is the issue since they will last a while, 6 months plus. Water has been pretty consistent over the last couple years with ALK at 12, Ca at 450, Mg at 1350 of course with the occasional hiccup and “fix” needed but nothing that seems to correlate with the slow shrinkage and demise of the OG.
For a while I struggled to get pH up over 7.8 and when I was able to get it there it would end up producing larger swings than one would want. Which I have since stopped chasing numbers. Organics were likely the cause of the lower pH since some maintenance changes and flow changes now the pH is running better, 8.1 day 7.9 night. However when the pH was at 7.7 it was fairly stable, and through those pH trials and tribulations the others in the Bounce community were still seemingly happy. Just the OGs that seem to have a personal vendetta....

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always been fine and happy in my super dirty unmaintained system. I have not found the OG to be any different in terms of care or finicky at all. I'm sorry that I could not be more help to you.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, think I was a little to “clean” for a while. Trying to feed more and get my nitrate and phosphate at a slightly higher consistent level. Have to try another one before long, also known as gluttony.....

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, think I was a little to “clean” for a while. Trying to feed more and get my nitrate and phosphate at a slightly higher consistent level. Have to try another one before long, also known as gluttony.....

did you ever try again? ive been dealing with the same, im on my 3rd one and it looked amazing for 2 months but now slowly shrinking on the skirt

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ever try again? ive been dealing with the same, im on my 3rd one and it looked amazing for 2 months but now slowly shrinking on the skirt
Yeah, but hasn't grown any in months. Still not sure why and truthfully haven't put much effort into finding out why.

Whats your lighting?

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but hasn't grown any in months. Still not sure why and truthfully haven't put much effort into finding out why.

Whats your lighting?

I'm using a radion xr15, ab+ settings, probably getting around 120 par on the sandbed. I have other mushrooms like jawbreakers, Sunkist, Frankenstein all doing super well.

Been keeping high phosphates and nitrates while I was battling dinos and they did dip a little in this week's test. But they weren't 0. gonna dose them back up and see if that helps

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a radion xr15, ab+ settings, probably getting around 120 par on the sandbed. I have other mushrooms like jawbreakers, Sunkist, Frankenstein all doing super well.

Been keeping high phosphates and nitrates while I was battling dinos and they did dip a little in this week's test. But they weren't 0. gonna dose them back up and see if that helps
Hope the Dinos go away quick! I fought them a year or two ago and what a PITA. I ended up using the Dr Tims regimen and it worked extremely well for me.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ADAM I don’t have an og yet, I’m actually in the process of working on a trade for a mother right now so it’s nice this thread came back. As you know right now isn’t a great time for me to add anything so I’ll be holding off until I get things squared back away. As you may remember my nutrients are always on the very low side of things due to high nutrient export along side of the total tank population of corals sucking down anything I add. That said I haven’t seen any issues with any of the 3 variants of jawbreakers or my Jason Fox raunchy red bounces, even with this weekends sps emergency. Reading this I’m am suddenly wary of this possible acquisition. Are the JF Raunchy Reds part of your collection past or present to do well while the OGs do not?

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the Dinos go away quick! I fought them a year or two ago and what a PITA. I ended up using the Dr Tims regimen and it worked extremely well for me.
Yeah they are pretty much gone now! Og is the only sad thing in the tank lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back