WWYD: New Reef Tank But Moving Cross-Country Soon…

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do if you were setting up a new tank but knew there was a high likelihood you might move across the country within ~12 months (could be sooner, could be longer)?

Of course the simple answer would be hold off on setting up the tank, but we love this hobby, and nobody wants a tank sitting dry for a year.

My initial thoughts are:
- Don’t buy too much expensive livestock. (If you try to move it, you could potentially ship it to an LFS to hold for you until you’re set up, but it’s not guaranteed, and you still might lose some things anyway. The rest you’ll likely give away.)
- Plan to tear down and start fresh, donating all the livestock but keeping the live rock. (However, would the live rock even make the journey of being shipped in water only to be put into dark tubs with heat and flow until the new tank is set up? Would there be considerable die-off and a need to re-cycle, and if so, is it even worth salvaging the live rock? Is it more cost/trouble than it’s worth to ship the live rock if you’re starting over anyway?)
- Go all out, start your reef tank with the intention of making it work when you move, fill it with your favorite corals and count on being able to find an LFS or a local reefer who will babysit your live rock and coral [and possibly fish], keeping them alive until you can get your tank set up and running. (How high is the likelihood the coral survive the varying parameters/different PAR/lighting than they’re used to, and then an additional transfer back into their home tank?)

Tough to plan for the future, but I figure knowing how you plan to handle the inevitable from Day 1 will increase the chance of a successful move and/or save you a lot of money and trouble by allowing you to make informed decisions of what you should/should not spend on/do/plan for knowing you will be moving a long distance within a short period of time.

What would YOU do? Any tips or thoughts from those who have done this (knowingly in advance or due to changed circumstances) would be greatly appreciated!

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Committed to filling the tank with coral! But if you went that route, what would you do with your live rock if it was the expensive stuff? What about your fish?
I would simply sell them both off to local reefers, both live rock and fish are relatively easy to replace.
Coral on the other hand takes time etc.

If your deadset on coral, you could always look at doing the same thing, but leave plugs accesable to they can be removed and transported easily.
That way you only need to initially have a frag tank set up?

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving my reef cross country in less than a year. Thinking through it is kind of a nightmare. Honestly, I'd probably not set up a big reef tank right now. Fowler is a lot easier to move but still a lot of steps and can be a special trip.
Yeah it’s a lot to consider and worry about! I’m committed to enjoying my tank for the time I have here because for all I know it could be two years+, which is plenty of time to enjoy a tank before a tear down. So I want to treat it and enjoy it as such for the time being, while also being prepared and having a plan of how I’ll handle it if/when I do move. Hopefully the responses here will be helpful to both of us and some others!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
I just moved a large fish tank across the house and it took me many hours. I have moved tanks when I was younger and have learned that I don’t want to do it. It’s like trying to deliver a baby that is crowned, but moving cross country at the same time.

Set up something small and learn from it.
Rocks can go in buckets with lids, fish go back to the store and move or sell and buy a new tank?
You will figure it out, but if you’re going to move then know upfront that you are getting married and planning a divorce at the same time. You need a prenup plan for how to navigate the move before you start picking up baggage that you will need to deal with.

Criss Angel Magic GIF by DefyTV

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would simply sell them both off to local reefers, both live rock and fish are relatively easy to replace.
Coral on the other hand takes time etc.

If your deadset on coral, you could always look at doing the same thing, but leave plugs accesable to they can be removed and transported easily.
That way you only need to initially have a frag tank set up?
Well I’m thinking ocean aquacultured live rock, which is expensive, and while I could replace it, it would be ideal not to have to and to keep my live rock. I just don’t know how big of a concern those potential issues I mentioned are (i.e. so much die off that it wouldn’t be worth it). As for the coral, I wouldn’t mind chopping/fragging and bagging, if it is realistic that there’s a good chance that the coral would survive an LFS tank transfer, and then a secondary transfer back to my tank, which is mainly what I’m wondering.

It would take me just as long to set up a drag tank as it would my normal tank, it’s not very big (45 gallon - see my build thread for an idea).

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m facing the same scenario. I set up the tank instead of waiting.
What I plan on doing is buy coral now locally since the coral prices are a lot cheaper in my area for very nice expensive coral. Once I’m satisfied with my stock I’ll bag up the coral and ship them over night in styrofoam packaging.

I’ll also keep the water and have that shipped over night as well in styrofoam packaging individually inside, 1gal bags.

The fish tank and stand I would sell and buy a new one on the other side. All live rock, live stock and water I’ll ship over night.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
I just moved a large fish tank across the house and it took me many hours. I have moved tanks when I was younger and have learned that I don’t want to do it. It’s like trying to deliver a baby that is crowned, but moving cross country at the same time.

Set up something small and learn from it.
Rocks can go in buckets with lids, fish go back to the store and move or sell and buy a new tank?
You will figure it out, but if you’re going to move then know upfront that you are getting married and planning a divorce at the same time. You need a prenup plan for how to navigate the move before you start picking up baggage that you will need to deal with.

Criss Angel Magic GIF by DefyTV
Exactly! Haha great analogy. This is exactly what I’m doing, hence the thread. You’re my family law attorney at this point, and I’m seeking your counsel. It’s a 36x18x16 45 gallon (check out my build thread to get an idea). The tank and hardware is a manageable move with the rest of my furniture.

It sounds like you’re advocating for saving the live rock by shipping it in water, but part ways with the livestock. I’m not against this option at all. Do you think the amount of die off on the live rock from the trip and being stored in a tub with a heater and powerhead for a while once it arrives until I can get the tank set up would defeat the purpose of salvaging it? Or would that tub cycle be just fine for some mature ocean aquacultured rock after shipment?

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m facing the same scenario. I set up the tank instead of waiting.
What I plan on doing is buy coral now locally since the coral prices are a lot cheaper in my area for very nice expensive coral. Once I’m satisfied with my stock I’ll bag up the coral and ship them over night in styrofoam packaging.

I’ll also keep the water and have that shipped over night as well in styrofoam packaging individually inside, 1gal bags.

The fish tank and stand I would sell and buy a new one on the other side. All live rock, live stock and water I’ll ship over night.
I’m keeping my tank but much easier if you’re purchasing a new tank. However, what about the rest of your hardware? And how are you going to have the new tank set up and waiting for your livestock that you overnight? It’ll take time to have the new tank up and running, and stable enough to add your livestock.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! Haha great analogy. This is exactly what I’m doing, hence the thread. You’re my family law attorney at this point, and I’m seeking your counsel. It’s a 36x18x16 45 gallon (check out my build thread to get an idea). The tank and hardware is a manageable move with the rest of my furniture.

It sounds like you’re advocating for saving the live rock by shipping it in water, but part ways with the livestock. I’m not against this option at all. Do you think the amount of die off on the live rock from the trip and being stored in a tub with a heater and powerhead for a while once it arrives until I can get the tank set up would defeat the purpose of salvaging it? Or would that tub cycle be just fine for some mature ocean aquacultured rock after shipment?
I’m pretty sure shipping coral still attached to the live rock would indeed end the coral’s existence. Very dangerous

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure shipping coral still attached to the live rock would indeed end the coral’s existence. Very dangerous
Would NOT be doing this haha. If coral is to be shipped it would be fragged, plugged, bagged and shipped to an LFS as it would when it’s purchased. That post was just contemplating shipping quality live rock I wouldn’t want to part with.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m keeping my tank but much easier if you’re purchasing a new tank. However, what about the rest of your hardware? And how are you going to have the new tank set up and waiting for your livestock that you overnight? It’ll take time to have the new tank up and running, and stable enough to add your livestock.
I’m not alone on the trip, I’ll be at the new location setting up ahead of time. But all equipment I would sell and then buy new. Saves on shipping cost for sure.

Prices for equipment are usually the same coast to coast. I don’t run a high profile sump by the way. I keep that pretty simple. It’s 75gal but I run more filter socks (about 50 microns) vs having a ton of equipment under the hood

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not alone on the trip, I’ll be at the new location setting up ahead of time. But all equipment I would sell and then buy new. Saves on shipping cost for sure.

Prices for equipment are usually the same coast to coast. I don’t run a high profile sump by the way. I keep that pretty simple. It’s 75gal but I run more filter socks (about 50 microns) vs having a ton of equipment under the hood
Gotcha! Yeah I’ll have all my equipment coming with me along with the rest of my furniture in the move truck. Would be ideal if there was a tank up and running and I was there to receive my livestock and get everything set back up immediately. That short transition sounds much safer than what I’m contemplating, you should be in good shape!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wouldn’t setup a tank if I was to move in 12 months. Even with ocean live rock, my tank took about 1 year to stabilize and 2 years to see exponential coral growth. If you setup a tank now and move in 12 months, you might end up going through the first year uglies again.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Yeah I’ll have all my equipment coming with me along with the rest of my furniture in the move truck. Would be ideal if there was a tank up and running and I was there to receive my livestock and get everything set back up immediately. That short transition sounds much safer than what I’m contemplating, you should be in good shape!
And you’re driving across country with the coral and furniture in the same vehicle? :zany-face:

Me envisioning what you’re telling the coral just before the trip: ….. haha!!
Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

All jokes aside, it may be better if your able to have a friend come along or a trust worthy family member to ship everything for you or even do the driving while your on the other side setting up. The coral doesn’t need to be in a tank just a nice size HDX tote from home depot about a 70gal should do with a flow head.
If your driving coast to coast that’s about 3 maybe 4 day drive with stops and rest time

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t setup a tank if I was to move in 12 months. Even with ocean live rock, my tank took about 1 year to stabilize and 2 years to see exponential coral growth. If you setup a tank now and move in 12 month, you might end up going through the first year uglies again.
Yup, but the OP is itching for a tank. An unstoppable force.

The live rock will lose some life if a bucket but the bacteria will survive. Same process as folks setting up a tank at a trade show.

New tank, old rock, new or old lights, pumps and instant tank. They generally only have to focus on livestock and not the rest of the household. Sending them ahead to a LFS or hobbyist can probably make it work.

I’m still against it, (makes me tired to think about the effort) but it can be done with planning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back