WXM Module Discontinued By Neptune Systems

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So watching Neptune’s Live stream last night, Terrence announced that the WXM is being discontinued. It’s been around almost as long as the Apex Classic! He explained that basically the writing has been on the wall for a while and EcoTech has made it clear they don’t want their products to work with 3rd parties. I had a feeling this would happen one day after EcoTech refused to allow the WXM control the Vectra (even though it could) . Then with Versa and Now G5 lights they are Bluetooth only.

For me, I would much prefer a product that is open to other platforms and has as many Integration possibilities as possible. I avoided a Vectra pump for this very reason. (Even after Tim in interviews stated it would work with third parties at launch)

I like to have complex scheduling routines and be able to trigger modes from one source (apex), one dashboard to rule them all. Now knowing that the MP10, 40, 60 are now going this same route where it can’t be controlled by third party platforms is very disappointing.

It’s very disappointing to me that EcoTech Is going this route. They absolutely make quality products, But this is a deal breaker for me and will cause me to consider other products in the future.

Maybe I’m the only one. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s frustrating, sadly business will always win out over convince. I get Ecotechs approach and they want to push into Neptune’s automation market. Considering their product line now they really don’t need Neptune. Equal pumps, superior wavemakers, dosing, lighting and now mobius their ecosystem is almost complete (Param monitoring is probably next) so now the consumer is left with the upgrade costs and the growing pains of either staying with Neptune or going with Ecotech... if you’ve invested in one more that the other what would you do?

I personally have an Apex Classic, WXM running 2 Radion XR30s and 3 MP10s until it isn’t supported by my WXM I’ll keep running with their products in my tank, but the day these things stop working my decision with probably be to move away from Ecotech... I’ve already started the transition by adding a Maxspect Gyre, Reef Octo Return and a Orphek OR3 LED bar. Though none of them support Apex integration and all have there pros and cons I’m happy knowing that I probably am ending up with better/cheaper products for my reef in the long run. Hopefully people will wake up to the fact that you don’t need the Ferrari (Ecotech) to run a tank, you can buy the Toyota (other brands) that will do just the same if not better.

I know that there will be fan boy arguments (similar to Apple products) I totally get it... Ecotech makes some sexy sleek gear. I guess what I’m trying to say in the end... Is it really worth it? There are plenty of alternatives that achieve the same result... and hopefully those companies will throw their hats in with Neptune to achieve like or near similar results.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish all the vendors were more open with their products. In the world of IoT and connectivity, the more standardization the better. I don't like this apple vs android ecosystem battles going on. Ghl, Apex, perhaps Ecotech in the future, and others.

If you are going to add connectivity to devices, really wish they'd all instead agree on a standard protocol that can be used by one another, or the hobbyist themselves. Then let the best given product be the winner. -- These things exist for many areas you may not think about..These companies should come together and write a spec for 'communicating with stream pumps', 'skimmer communication protocol', or whatever :D or leverage one of the (I'm guessing) already existing standards in the IoT space in terms of communicating with devices.

Today, practically, once you go down one path you are very much inclined to leverage their products as much as possible and the 'switching costs' goes up with each additional item you buy. I get the business model.. but long term being the player who makes the best products in an open landscape be the winner in my opinion.

Last edited:

f8th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like Neptune to come out with bluetooth/wifi aquabus. I wouldn't be suprised if Ecotech comes out with their own version of fusion and a wifi "gateway" box that has some probes and talks to all their products wirelessly. Maybe Red Sea too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why upset with ecotech and not with neptune?

I agree, Neptune has been doing this type of business faarrrrr longer than Ecotech. DOS, WAV, COR-20 and Trident are all useless paper weights that won't function without an Apex. I'm willing to bet not pushing for integration is on Neptune, especially with information being leaked about a potential Light coming out from them. Terrence blames Ecotech for the move but all he knows how to do is blame others so I wouldn't trust that very much.

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the argument that Neptune is making product that compete in their space.... However I would counter that argument with EcoTech maintaining interoperability with other platforms makes their product an even stronger offering. Give people the choice.

I know for many controllability is not important and that's fine, for me it is important. So if their products won't work, I exclude them from my selection.

The Vectra was a great example, when it was released Tim from EcoTech said that it was going to be able to be controlled by third parties. I bought one based on this promise. I believe the Vectra is a very high quality great pump. Fast forward to now and we see that is not compatible with any other platforms. I'm not asking for all the advanced features you would get from the EcoTech ecosystem, But being able start a feed mode or adjust the flow from the controller would be nice. Since I can't even do this basic task I went with another pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

I'm buying a spare ….. mine is an older model (the black case) so have been thinking about having a replacement on hand.

I have a lot of audio equipment at home that has either been discontinued or the manufacturer has gone out of business. I always try to buy spares as they become available because .... well because I am too old to have any chance of learning anyhting new LOL.

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish all the vendors were more open with their products. In the world of IoT and connectivity, the more standardization the better. I don't like this apple vs android ecosystem battles going on. Ghl, Apex, perhaps Ecotech in the future, and others.

If you are going to add connectivity to devices, really wish they'd all instead agree on a standard protocol that can be used by one another, or the hobbyist themselves. Then let the best given product be the winner. -- These things exist for many areas you may not think about..These companies should come together and write a spec for 'communicating with stream pumps', 'skimmer communication protocol', or whatever :D or leverage one of the (I'm guessing) already existing standards in the IoT space in terms of communicating with devices.

Today, practically, once you go down one path you are very much inclined to leverage their products as much as possible and the 'switching costs' goes up with each additional item you buy. I get the business model.. but long term being the player who makes the best products in an open landscape be the winner in my opinion.
Yeah, I've pretty much made the decision that I won't deal with these anymore - I'm not buying any more automation tools that don't work on open standards. Its just too likely to end up as a paperweight. ReefPi/etc seems like the only option.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a typical over-reaction. Writing has been on the wall for a very long time. I remember all the teeth gnashing five years ago when the Vectra came out and was not apex compatible … and again when the Gen5 came out. I would love it if all aquarium equipment manufacturers played nicely with interconnectivity …. but it's a for-profit game with a limited addressable market and is what it is. I did buy a Vectra (because I had grown weary of all the COR delays) and grumbled/groused my way into buying a reeflink …. which has been fine. Mobius strikes me as a not-quite-ready-for-the-market technology, but maybe it will turn out to be great and we will all look back at it as having been the next 'obvious' move for the aquarium controller market.

If folks want to 'move away' from ETM, that is of course their right. I will continue to use their stuff where it makes sense (and not where it doesn't) and frankly, the control platform is pretty far down on the decison tree.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got MP40 Mobius enabled powerheads. I haven't found the setting yet, but, I found out that there is a way to "downgrade" the MP40s to be compatible with the WXM. I haven't done this for a couple reasons, one is I can't find the setting, and 2, it was just easier to set the dang things in the mobius app and admit defeat.

That said, I've searched long and hard for a wireless Powerhead. If I could do a wireless heater I would. I electrocuted 15 fish a year ago (almost to the day) because of a heater gone bad. Having cords in the water causes problems. Why recently bought two more MP40s.

If there were an alternative wireless powerhead, I would have bought that. I am hard pressed to find anything. Is there some type of patent or something that prevents anyone else from creating a wireless powerhead (at least wireless in the sense of now power cord in the water? )

It's hard when there's only one brand that has features no one else has. I'm all for competition and driving prices down with competition, but it seems there are no competitors.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard when there's only one brand that has features no one else has. I'm all for competition and driving prices down with competition, but it seems there are no competitors.

As I understand it, ETM holds a patent on the wetside/dryside innovation - not sure when or if it has expired - but that's the only thing that is not replicated elsewhere. I have always been a bit surprised that the Chinese pump makers haven't ripped that off too … though perhaps the engineering/physics challenges are too much for a lower quality design.

Last edited:

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure but maybe they should pay EcoTech and license it.

IMO Neptune likes their costs cheaper than the plastic in their products and likely bawked at the price.

That said, the industry also seems like it is trying to make customer cash grabs and build "systems" versus products that work together. I'm surprised that Red Sea hasn't rumored their own controller yet.

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, the industry also seems like it is trying to make customer cash grabs and build "systems" versus products that work together. I'm surprised that Red Sea hasn't rumored their own controller yet.

For sure! It reminds me of the Amazon and Google disputes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back