WXM Module Discontinued By Neptune Systems

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just posted on this.. and found this now... i too am an apex fan.. i put my eggs in this one basket.. over the years.. i spend $ on others. GHL ect.. Apex service has been right on for me. MY trident which I love had an issue.. out of warranty..they took back and did and exchange right away.. for a small flat fee. My issue now is I need some Gen4. I am sure the Radion gen5 are nice.. but no apex control is a stopper for me.
Just a comment. I was in the same boat - unfortunately - my Gen 4's (one of them) stopped working. I looked at the Gen 5 - liked the design better (the fan not exposed to potential salt/moisture),and the spectrum. At first I thought it would be a big hassle not having internet control - but then I realized - I never change my lights - and If I do - I'm always standing near my tank anyway. I have had no regrets in changing (I didnt use my apex to control my G4's either - because the module was constantly not working). If I want to totally turn my lights off - they are plugged into my EB - and I can turn them off. I can turn them off using the tmp settings on Apex as well -which to me is the only benefit of apex 'control'.

Anyway - this is long - but my comment - I would concentrate more on the quality of the light, etc no matter which brand you choose - as compared to whether it can be 'controlled' by the apex. The Gen $'s are far inferior to the Gen 5's for example IMHO

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my first post mobius MP40. Although I do still have some capacity on my WXM I’m debating whether to give mobius another try. My early experience with it and a versa was a hair pulling excercise and I gave up. Is it better now?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted on this.. and found this now... i too am an apex fan.. i put my eggs in this one basket.. over the years.. i spend $ on others. GHL ect.. Apex service has been right on for me. MY trident which I love had an issue.. out of warranty..they took back and did and exchange right away.. for a small flat fee. My issue now is I need some Gen4. I am sure the Radion gen5 are nice.. but no apex control is a stopper for me.
Meh, my controller works with my Lights but this is probably the least touched device on my controller.
After I setup my lights I just about never go back in and change anything or even look at the graphs again.

I would agree with your statement on a Dosing pump or possibly my Vortechs pumps which I tweak when new corals come in the tank, but lighting is on the lowest priority when it comes to having controller integration. It's nice but not important enough for me to skip buying a better light to get it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bought my first post mobius MP40. Although I do still have some capacity on my WXM I’m debating whether to give mobius another try. My early experience with it and a versa was a hair pulling excercise and I gave up. Is it better now?
I like it - that said - I always disliked the Apex light control system. It never worked well for me.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need apex control for lights? Mobius is the controller.
Its not like you need to be adjusting your lights from across the world. Apex can still control power to the lights via power bar.
I think you are shooting yoursrlf in the foot, if this is your decider, no matter what light ect you go with.
I personally dont use any ecotech or neptune products, so maybe im seeing this without the fanboy blinders. Im not trying to knock on you with my last statement, just giving you an explanation to my view point.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lights are I. Additional. To some radions I currently have. I get that radio a gen5 have there own controller. Just my preference. For example. Most of my pumps are controlled with flow by apex but I have two of the large gyres that are not. Yes they turn on and off through apex but to set up flow patterns. Well no.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This lights are I. Additional. To some radions I currently have. I get that radio a gen5 have there own controller. Just my preference. For example. Most of my pumps are controlled with flow by apex but I have two of the large gyres that are not. Yes they turn on and off through apex but to set up flow patterns. Well no.
AH - this makes more sense - so you want to control all of the lights the same way - this makes a lot of sense. When my one Gen 4 'went out' - the LFS suggested buying one G5 - but I didnt want to have 2 'controllers'. My solution - I sold my other Radion light, fixed the broken one - for a cheap price - and sold it as well - I then was able to buy the G5's for about 1/3 of the price. I still have my other radions (that are freshwater - on a different tank) controlled by the website. But - I never make changes - the apex on that tank died some months ago - and I replaced with a hydros controller.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius has gotten better since it was first released, but like with any new product platform it needs some fine tuning.

I personally never used my Apex to control any of my lights (Hydra and Radions) as I would lose some of the functionality using their app. Wave pumps might be a different story as you can set different wave patterns particularly when switching to a feed mode.

Although using the BT connection over wifi has fixed some of the non connectivity issues with either the Hydra and Radions, BT still presents some issues as well.

At some point you are all going to have to switch over to Mobius to control ETM products as the WXM will be out of anyone's reach in a couple of years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I won’t ‘have to’ because I have a brand new in box WXM just in case ..... but I do suspect that overtime features will get added to mobius that arent available from WXM or ReefLink. The ability to control the fans in the gen4 lights for example.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back