WXM Module Discontinued By Neptune Systems

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, customers have been successful with the "rollback" (I don't like the word downgrade :)). Like with anything you'll typically hear much more about when it doesn't work versus when it does work. ETM does post some suggestions about what will make the rollback more successful, but basically says put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on BT, and make sure the screen sleep is turned off (so the screen stays on all the time).

That‘s good to hear. I’ve asked this same question several times in this thread and hadn’t heard any definitive replies of successful “rollbacks” from any end users.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spent the last day reading about mp40 control with apex and find out that I need a wxm that isn’t being sold no more!! Is there any other way to connect mp40 to apex? Is the wxm going to come back at some point? @NeptunePaul Or can you guys send me a wxm from your secret stash?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spent the last day reading about mp40 control with apex and find out that I need a wxm that isn’t being sold no more!! Is there any other way to connect mp40 to apex? Is the wxm going to come back at some point? @NeptunePaul Or can you guys send me a wxm from your secret stash?
It will not be coming back.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Then mobius it is I guess. I wonder if they can built in their wxm module into the apex so no extra module is needed

The WXM is gone, but people sell used ones fairly frequently. Keep an eye on the for sale forum and you can probably find one pretty quickly. I actually just sold one a week or two ago.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sucks. Then mobius it is I guess. I wonder if they can built in their wxm module into the apex so no extra module is needed
The Mobius is excellent... It doesn't 'suck' IMHO

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mobius is excellent... It doesn't 'suck' IMHO

I recently moved to Radion G5 lights with Mobius from Radion G3 lights controlled through my Apex with the WXM. Here are my problems with Mobius:

-The connection seems tenuous at best. I had some Radion G4 lights that I also moved to Mobius and had to upgrade their firmware. The firmware upgrade did not go well. Each light took 3 or 4 attempts because it kept losing it’s connection in the middle of the upgrade. Even though my phone was literally a foot away from the light. Even with the firmware upgraded I had intermittent issues sending schedules to the lights. I would adjust the schedule and try to update the lights and it would time out. Again, the phone was very close to the lights at the time. In some cases unplugging the lights and plugging them back in seemed to be the only way to fix it.

-It’s only available locally. My apex was integrated with Alexa, so I could ask Alexa to turn on ‘photo mode’ and the lights would adjust to a spectrum that worked well to take pictures. Admittedly this doesn’t happen often, but if I was away from home and needed to shut the lights off for some reason (say the tank was getting too hot) that isn’t possible with mobius.

-It doesn’t integrate with anything. With the WXM and the apex I could automatically shut off the lights if the tank got too warm. I was also using the apex to automatically turn on my fuge light (a Radion XR15 Freshwater) when the sump door was opened. This was enough to light the sump area so I could see what I was doing under there. But there is no way to do this with Mobius.

-It is not very intuitive. Probably some of this is just a learning curve with new software, but I really struggled to try to figure out how to set a custom light schedule and how to create a second and third tank on mobius so I could have my fuge and frag tank lights run on different schedules than the DT lights.

Mobius isn’t the worst thing in the world, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. And I would love to see them open it up to allow integration with other platforms, like the apex. Even if it was just IOTA.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get them used from all over for pretty cheap. I end up picking up a spare for the future myself just in case

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few places still have new stock. I bought a spare .... just in case.

U

User1

View Badges
A few places still have new stock. I bought a spare .... just in case.

Spares are good.

A F35 and a F15 are cruising at 45,000 Ft over the Atlantic. F15 pilot notices a engine warning light and shuts off the engine. Continues rlight. F35 pilot notices a engine warning light and then asks himself can he turn around and make it back to the closest runway. Nope. Let the wingman/woman know location, radio it in, and enjoy the e-ticket ejection ride and raft ride :)

Spares are good. Just in case :D

Edit: this didn't happen - just hypothetical :D A couple birds did cross the Atlantic just to prove it can be done should the need arise...

U

User1

View Badges
Well I picked a good time to waltz into this thread. Was contemplation getting an apex. Now this makes me extremely hesitant.

I wouldn't let it sway you. Make a list of requirements, what you want, etc. Then prioritize what you "MUST" have, etc. Then see if it fits. The same is going to hold true for GHL or other controllers. In fact, it is going to get worse than it is better. Why? Each of these companies are making their own apps, dongles, and other do-hickies that lead you to believe they integrate or are a controller. Not bashing the lads but it is what it is.

TL; DR - the hobbyist loses in the end as we are forced to pick and choose a ecosystem and it costs an arm and a leg to switch.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently moved to Radion G5 lights with Mobius from Radion G3 lights controlled through my Apex with the WXM. Here are my problems with Mobius:

-The connection seems tenuous at best. I had some Radion G4 lights that I also moved to Mobius and had to upgrade their firmware. The firmware upgrade did not go well. Each light took 3 or 4 attempts because it kept losing it’s connection in the middle of the upgrade. Even though my phone was literally a foot away from the light. Even with the firmware upgraded I had intermittent issues sending schedules to the lights. I would adjust the schedule and try to update the lights and it would time out. Again, the phone was very close to the lights at the time. In some cases unplugging the lights and plugging them back in seemed to be the only way to fix it.

-It’s only available locally. My apex was integrated with Alexa, so I could ask Alexa to turn on ‘photo mode’ and the lights would adjust to a spectrum that worked well to take pictures. Admittedly this doesn’t happen often, but if I was away from home and needed to shut the lights off for some reason (say the tank was getting too hot) that isn’t possible with mobius.

-It doesn’t integrate with anything. With the WXM and the apex I could automatically shut off the lights if the tank got too warm. I was also using the apex to automatically turn on my fuge light (a Radion XR15 Freshwater) when the sump door was opened. This was enough to light the sump area so I could see what I was doing under there. But there is no way to do this with Mobius.

-It is not very intuitive. Probably some of this is just a learning curve with new software, but I really struggled to try to figure out how to set a custom light schedule and how to create a second and third tank on mobius so I could have my fuge and frag tank lights run on different schedules than the DT lights.

Mobius isn’t the worst thing in the world, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. And I would love to see them open it up to allow integration with other platforms, like the apex. Even if it was just IOTA.
Lets put it this way - when I had my lights through the WMX module - I had nothing but trouble - I don't know whether it was a problem with the apex or something else - but I ended up selling my WMX on Ebay - and just using the Echotech software (with wifi with the G4's) - I upgraded to G5 - and at first I thought the same as you - I admit that the fact that you can't adjust your lights from afar is a negative - but I also realize that I have caused more problems with 'adjusting lights', etc - so - I just tend not to do it. If I'm away I have a house sitter - that can adjust things if needed. Additionally - you can also set your Apex to alert you when your temp gets too high - and shut off your lights (i.e. - no power to the socket powering the light).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I picked a good time to waltz into this thread. Was contemplation getting an apex. Now this makes me extremely hesitant.
I don't think the lack of the WXM module should make you change your mind about getting an Apex - My personal opinion is that people can overdo programming and 'control'. Its nice to have everything on 'autopilot' - but even in 747's - pilots can disengage and fly manually. I found I have fewer problems with lights, gyres, etc - just using the apex more for alerts and monitoring - and heater control - and just use the supplied controller for individual products - they work more seamlessly to me - and offer some protection incase the apex fails for some reason. Additionally - I have also gotten into the habit of setting it and forgetting it (Flow, lights, etc) - so its rare that I need to use anything to control the lights, etc anyway - JMHO.

ChicagoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new light for my 120 gallon - I don't like needing multiple programs for control. Hydros is OK, but years behind Apex for overall control (I have both - 1 on each tank). I won't by Ecotech if I can't control via my Apex. I love my Trident & DOS and loke most of my APEX gear outside of my WAV (it is loud about 10 min after I clean). What would you suggest for LED that I can control with my APEX.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for a new light for my 120 gallon - I don't like needing multiple programs for control. Hydros is OK, but years behind Apex for overall control (I have both - 1 on each tank). I won't by Ecotech if I can't control via my Apex. I love my Trident & DOS and loke most of my APEX gear outside of my WAV (it is loud about 10 min after I clean). What would you suggest for LED that I can control with my APEX.
I think you're putting too many eggs in the 'apex' basket - but thats just my personal experience. I don't want to hijack - but I'm curious - why do you care if you can control everything with your apex - or another app on your phone - I mean - its not like you're adjusting your lights every hour right? BTW - you can still turn on - and off your lights (echo tech) - with your apex - just plug them into the EBB - and you can access them with Fusion

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're putting too many eggs in the 'apex' basket - but thats just my personal experience. I don't want to hijack - but I'm curious - why do you care if you can control everything with your apex - or another app on your phone - I mean - its not like you're adjusting your lights every hour right?

I‘ve been into home automation for decades and aquarium automation is just a subset of that. I recently moved from Radion Gen3 lights with a WXM that were connected to my Apex to Gen5 lights which need to use mobius, and there are a few things I miss now that I no longer have apex control over my lights.

I have a Radion freshwater light over my fuge in the sump and magnetic switches on my sump door so the apex knew when the sump door was opened. It would turn on the fuge light to light the sump whenever the sump door was opened. I can’t do that with mobius. I had to get some LED strip lights and use another outlet on my energy bar to control them. It’s certainly not the end of the world, but it was certainly much more elegant and convenient when the apex had control of my lights.

The apex integrates with alexa and right now mobius doesn’t. So I used to be able to tell Alexa to enable photo mode and the apex would switch my radions to a whiter spectrum that was better for pictures. Now I need to open the mobius app and switch the spectrum. Again, not the end of the world, but certainly more convenient the other way. Hopefully at some point mobius will also integrate with alexa.

BTW - you can still turn on - and off your lights (echo tech) - with your apex - just plug them into the EBB - and you can access them with Fusion

This is a possibility, but I’m not fond of doing this with the radion lights, especially not regularly. Normally after the lights turn off the fan continues running until the lights cool down. If you switch them off by cutting the power the fan turns off as well, leaving the lights in a hot state with no cooling. It probably doesn’t hurt to do that once in a while, but I wouldn’t want to do it frequently.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted on this.. and found this now... i too am an apex fan.. i put my eggs in this one basket.. over the years.. i spend $ on others. GHL ect.. Apex service has been right on for me. MY trident which I love had an issue.. out of warranty..they took back and did and exchange right away.. for a small flat fee. My issue now is I need some Gen4. I am sure the Radion gen5 are nice.. but no apex control is a stopper for me.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of G4s for sale in the selling forum and you can get them at great prices too. If need everything on the Apex then just wait until they release their lights (the SKYY) and you'll have 100% control on your Apex.

That being said - I love my Apex, I have a controller on every tank and I plug most of my items into it - but I don't get this need to have everything controlled by the Apex. Nowadays I tend to mess with my lights rarely, a few times a year and it is usually a thoughtful process where I bring out the PAR meter - so having the lights on the Apex is no benefit. In fact I like the fact that if I my Apex goes down some of my equipment still works.

At one point I had everything controlled by my Apex and it went down - My powerheads didn't work (Gyres controlled with the Apex module), my tank wasn't being dosed (DOS) and my kessils weren't working (ramped via VDM port) - after that point I decided to not put all my eggs in one basket.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back