WXM Module Discontinued By Neptune Systems

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now let me press a button to slow my cor-20s then press a button to activate auto feeder then open app and press feed for mp40s smh

That’s why I won’t be upgrading to Mobius for my Vortechs or Gen4 Radions , or using Versa.

Will stick with my Gen 4 Radions until they die and the next apex-friendly light fixture comes out :).

Heard Sicce and Maxspect have upcoming apex compatibility as well. Then along with reef octopus, Tunze, etc, things aren’t looking too bad.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now let me press a button to slow my cor-20s then press a button to activate auto feeder then open app and press feed for mp40s smh
It's not that my examples are the end all be all, I'm saying if you put your mind to it, you might be able to come up with a clever way to make 1 action do all of it.

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why we have held back a more than adequate quantity of completed modules as well as parts to take care of our customers needs either under warranty, or via repair, for quite a number of years.

That's a relief and debunks any assumptions that people are spewing on here that you're trying to force people to change their products.

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that my examples are the end all be all, I'm saying if you put your mind to it, you might be able to come up with a clever way to make 1 action do all of it.

But.... If they would continue to support interoperability (like we have today) we could use programs like we are today... And I will continue to buy their products :D

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the big names are monitoring this thread. Can we just have a pow wow, sing kumbaya and work together? :D

Both companies and customers are better off if they work together!

Screenshot_20200626-172150_Chrome.jpg

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a relief and debunks any assumptions that people are spewing on here that you're trying to force people to change their products.
Can you list the posts in this thread where “people are spewing on here that you’re trying to force people to change their products”.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list the posts in this thread where “people are spewing on here that you’re trying to force people to change their products”.

Thank you very much

I get the purpose of discontinuing WXM, Neptune is drawing a line in the sand, it forces hobbyist to choose a side, and they're betting that more users will flock to Apex and abandon ETM.

Here's one, and there are some others where it's obviously implied. Okay, poor choose of words perhaps, I'll amend my statement to this; that claim is not just limited to this thread, I've seen other threads on this outlet and others where people claim Neptune is doing this just to try and hurt ETM and get consumers to switch.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far from It.
It does not address the main point I was making, which is what happens to the new apex owner who has an estabilished tank system and would like to control their MP-40s and Radions using the apex. They have no choice but to use Mobius which Neptune realizes is an inconvenience for Radion and Vortech owners that also buy an Apex controllers. We will see which company benefits in the end.

Last edited:

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is making Ecotech out to be this evil empire that wants to take over the world. How can we not mention that Neptune had every opportunity to position itself as the integrater---and instead began making several competing pumps and products in attempt to steal market share from EcoTech?

That said, think about it from the Steve Jobs / Apple product development perspective. Ecotech wants to provide their own, integrated experience to reefers who use their products. I don't blame them. This is how you create an iconic, sustainable brand and company.

I personally think EcoTech is one of the few industry manufacturers that builds superior quality products that can withstand the rigors of saltwater. Their service has always been great.

Lastly, the WXM was an official, co-branded product. I imagine that they don't want to indefinitely commit resources to supporting new iterations of the WXM. They may be fine with Neptune manufacturing the products and fully supporting them without EcoTech's official endorsement.

U

User1

View Badges
I personally think EcoTech is one of the few industry manufacturers that builds superior quality products that can withstand the rigors of saltwater. Their service has always been great.

Maybe. Do you remember their Vetra pump launch by any chance? Or how about the more recent G5 launch? Pretty sure a quick search will yield enough to say that while maybe they build nice products their launch of new products hasn't fared well. Well, I wouldn't try and launch humans into low earth orbit just yet.

Edit: Yes - their engineering team fixed both issues. No doubt they stand behind their products. However, to say that they build superior quality products is a fishing tale.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Yes - their engineering team fixed both issues. No doubt they stand behind their products. However, to say that they build superior quality products is a fishing tale.
I do know their Vortech pumps are the best pumps period.
It's pretty hard to find any tank from middle priced to high end tank that is not sporting Vortech's and it's also becoming pretty common to see Radions on most tanks. They must be doing something right with product quality.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--Snip--

They may be fine with Neptune manufacturing the products and fully supporting them without EcoTech's official endorsement.

I have no idea if ETM uses encryption on their commands but if they do then it would be illegal to break that encryption. If they don't use encryption then it is very strange that Neptune has not just gone ahead and engineered a module that works via BT that can control all their devices.

U

User1

View Badges
I do know their Vortech pumps are the best pumps period.
It's pretty hard to find any tank from middle priced to high end tank that is not sporting Vortech's and it's also becoming pretty common to see Radions on most tanks. They must be doing something right with product quality.

Best is an opinion. I don't have any sales data but I do recall BRS doing a best of 2019 and it wasn't the Vortech. It was the Sicce Syncra based on their data. Best was Abyzz based on returns and quality. Neptune Cors and Vectra's are also noted. Please note that I was pretty clear with my statement on quality upon launch for the pump. The data is there for you to search just as I said the data is there that they fixed and supported their customers.

I think you can also search on this forum or any other and see many threads on the G5's cracked screens and fan noise. Screens are fixed as their staff noted in a thread on this forum. Again, I'm not making this up - it is here and elsewhere to see. I was only addressing the superior quality statement. Superior isn't going to have these issues regardless of what name is on the brand.

Edit: found video for reference. I know this is just one sales source - there are others. Just a talking point.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. Do you remember their Vetra pump launch by any chance? Or how about the more recent G5 launch? Pretty sure a quick search will yield enough to say that while maybe they build nice products their launch of new products hasn't fared well. Well, I wouldn't try and launch humans into low earth orbit just yet.

I think it's fair to say that both Neptune and Ecotech have had pretty disastrous launches on a few products each. So I definitely agree with you that I wouldn't really put one over the other quality wise atleast initially...

U

User1

View Badges
I think it's fair to say that both Neptune and Ecotech have had pretty disastrous launches on a few products each. So I definitely agree with you that I wouldn't really put one over the other quality wise atleast initially...

I'm probably being a nit pick, right? Neptune had the PMUP I guess. Maybe others. Not like I'm keeping a score card or anything.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably being a nit pick, right? Neptune had the PMUP I guess. Maybe others. Not like I'm keeping a score card or anything.

Like I said, I think they are pretty much on par when it comes to issues they have had. Heck Neptunes Apex 2016 launch was a complete and total disaster and they have had a few other duds as well. So I think you're right to call them even when it comes to things like that. I'd say both companies are also on par when it comes to Quality and longevity of there products. You certainly can't put either of them up against a Red Dragon or Abyzz

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a challenge: Find the instructions to sync up MP40's to the Apex with the WXM.

If you scour Neptune's forum, app, website you'll eventually find a set of instructions that have been wrong forever and nobody at Neptune has bothered to check or update.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is an opinion. I don't have any sales data but I do recall BRS doing a best of 2019 and it wasn't the Vortech. It was the Sicce Syncra based on their data. Best was Abyzz based on returns and quality. Neptune Cors and Vectra's are also noted. Please note that I was pretty clear with my statement on quality upon launch for the pump. The data is there for you to search just as I said the data is there that they fixed and supported their customers.

I think you can also search on this forum or any other and see many threads on the G5's cracked screens and fan noise. Screens are fixed as their staff noted in a thread on this forum. Again, I'm not making this up - it is here and elsewhere to see. I was only addressing the superior quality statement. Superior isn't going to have these issues regardless of what name is on the brand.

Edit: found video for reference. I know this is just one sales source - there are others. Just a talking point.

I did say Vortech Pump so maybe I needed to be clearer and say Vortech Powerhead!
Now if you want to mention the Vectra versus the rest of the pumps in that line up then that is another story. The Vortech is definitely the best Powerhead Period.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did say Vortech Pump so maybe I needed to be clearer and say Vortech Powerhead!
Now if you want to mention the Vectra versus the rest of the pumps in that line up then that is another story. The Vortech is definitely the best Powerhead Period.

The Vectra is a truly a godsend. Vortechs are a bit fussy, but it's worth it if you can't stand the look of power cables in your DT.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vectra is a truly a godsend. Vortechs are a bit fussy, but it's worth it if you can't stand the look of power cables in your DT.
I like the Vectra but I am old school and get a bit skittish when I hear to many statements about something suddenly breaking down. I love the controllability of DC pumps but if it fails at the wrong time I may be screwed. I stick with AC pumps like the Reeflo and Iwaki because I have never seen one just fail. In all the cases I have seen they just either start to make noise which gets louder and louder as the months pass and the bearings get worst or they spring a small leak in the seals. Either problem gives me plenty of time to decide on how I am going to deal with it.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back