X is for Xanthid crab

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created this thread to consolidate my xanthidae crab notes and photographs. My husband found this crab when he was dipping new coral acquisitions one night.At the time it was smaller than the end of a pencil eraser.I took it for a Acro crab and acclimated it to my main display.Where he promptly moved out of the Acropora and disappeared.Weeks passed by and I didn't think he had made it.Then I found one of his molts.Apparently he was well and growing at a rapid rate! Once in a while I would spot another glimpse of him.Usually all that I could see was just a tiny claw at work. Over a period of a year I would take pictures whenever I got the chance.This was rather difficult because he would completely disappear whenever he noticed me.Eventually I was able to capture the photo below.In doing so I was finally able to identify him as a smooth spooners xanthide crab.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/xanthidae/laevimanus.htm

WP_20160829_001.jpg

The very best picture I have available at this time.In this photo his head is upright and the claws(not visible) are tucked away.Notice the little "Last Airbender" arrow at the top of his head.Also, there is a standard plastic frag plug to the right of him for size reference.

Generally speaking the xanthid crabs are considered problematic.* They are not considered reef safe.Fortunately ,I have not noticed any remarkable damage.I do see him perch on corals.He will pick at the tiny polyps on SPS such as pocillapora and Montipora.However, I do not not believe that he is actually eating the coral.Rather,he seems to be foraging in a random fashion as the polyps retract.As for the safety of the inverts I may never know.I don't count my hermits,stomatella snails or brittle stars.The larger snails including the nassarius are accounted for. He does have a good appetite for algae.So reliably that if I place a hairy frag next to one of his areas,it will be polished clean overnight.This leads me to believe that this variety is primarily nocturnal.Always secretive. Here all some of the numerous photos I took.Now most of these don't look that great.That said,they will illustrate just how elusive these critters are.So I have included them for educational purposes.

SAM_2163.JPG

SAM_2161.JPG

SAM_2171.JPG

SAM_2169.JPG

SAM_2170.JPG

This guy is extremely agile and moves in a quick calculated manner.He has been seen clinging upside down in tiny crevices and at awkward angles.Very rarely do I see the full caprice.Often all that is visible is a rock or coral shifting as he wedges his way around.

SAM_1865.JPG

SAM_1863.JPG

I am pleased to have the opportunity to view this invertebrate in person.I hope for now I have shed some light on these notorious creatures.If you have any thoughts or experiences regarding these animals,please feel free to share them here.

*A really helpful link
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/xanthidae/xanthidae.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keli this crab look like Red Mithrax 2 me.

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find xanthid crabs all time time in Tampa bay live rock when I go collecting. They seem to destroy soft corals and zoas and only touch fleshy lps like frogspawn and lobos. ricoridas don't stand a chance either. Yet they make a great predatory fish and mantis shrimp food!

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keli this crab look like Red Mithrax 2 me.
I wouldn't bet money on that,lol.He does not look red to me.He resembles a brown Mithrax crab.

I find xanthid crabs all time time in Tampa bay live rock when I go collecting. They seem to destroy soft corals and zoas and only touch fleshy lps like frogspawn and lobos. ricoridas don't stand a chance either. Yet they make a great predatory fish and mantis shrimp food!
How exciting! Do you see multiple varieties or do they seem to be from the same lot?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but, just for fun, this is mine. I keep wanting to take him out, but he is so cool and not bothering anyone. Yet.

02BA21E9-A9CA-442F-B3A8-731D4130A35E.jpeg

C4DF2D90-D092-4A52-AE6C-243CB4F5E354.jpeg

He patrols the perimeter almost nightly between the Starboard and the glass. For this reason I think I could get him out if needed. No corals in the new tank yet (just some hitchhiker Palythoas). A few snails, hermit crabs and shrimp. I am getting my first fish soon and will monitor closely. More shots and video here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hitchhiking-crab-id.416583/

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but, just for fun, this is mine. I keep wanting to take him out, but he is so cool and not bothering anyone. Yet.

02BA21E9-A9CA-442F-B3A8-731D4130A35E.jpeg

C4DF2D90-D092-4A52-AE6C-243CB4F5E354.jpeg

He patrols the perimeter almost nightly between the Starboard and the glass. For this reason I think I could get him out if needed. No corals in the new tank yet (just some hitchhiker Palythoas). A few snails, hermit crabs and shrimp. I am getting my first fish soon and will monitor closely. More shots and video here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hitchhiking-crab-id.416583/

That is cool.Looks like your hitchhiker has taken the high route,lol.Thank you for posting your photo and thread!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back