xaqua inout - any use this or review it?

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reposting this thread here in the equipment forum as it's more appropriate and hopefully will get some feedback. Anyone use the xaqua inout overflow? after answering a thread yesterday about a lagoon 25 mod, I remembered seeing this and looked it up planning on adding it to my lagoon 25 but I haven't seen too many reviews about it other than from Julian Sprung who sells it. Any thoughts on it?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving this one a bump. Hard to believe no one on R2R has given it a try!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the videos on it, it looked like a winner. This would be a great frag tank addition. Serious consideration when I ramp up my game in 2019.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the videos on it, it looked like a winner. This would be a great frag tank addition. Serious consideration when I ramp up my game in 2019.

Yes, mine is powered by a Sicce Syncra Pro 550. I can hear the pleasant sound of water but no gurgling once the lay of the drain hose is right.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First they are on sale at Dr Foster and Smith and so is the tubing that you will need.
I have one on a IM Lagoon 25 Nano, no rear chamber. More like the new Ext version. The guy who drilled mine stated that the template was off and he had to re drill. I have read reviews stating this as well.
The tubing is irregular, not so much for the drain but the return tubing is. Not easy to find so I recommend buying theres especially since it is on sale.
This overflow seems to be marketed for nano's problem do you know what nano needs appr. a 1" return tubing? So matching a return pump to the tubing sizing can be difficult as well.

If you want to buy it I have all the sizes if you need them for the tubing. I am also using a Eheim 1250 pump seems to be a good match for the tank.

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you afraid of something blocking the outlet? I'm buying one but now am debating if I should at least install another overflow? (I don't have to have two returns)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
The overflow has experienced no operational issues, so no I am not afraid of something blocking the overflow.

After about a month of use, the wave maker just became a steady stream like any other return nozzle. I’m kinda bummed about that.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow has experienced no operational issues, so no I am not afraid of something blocking the overflow.

After about a month of use, the wave maker just became a steady stream like any other return nozzle. I’m kinda bummed about that.

I have read on another forum that it needs some maintenance to keep it pulsing. They used a pipe cleaner to clean it out.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used them long before Julian started selling them.

They work really well.
The pulsing is a little but of a joke, your still going to need additional flow.
They look really nice and take up little space. Easy to install if you know how to drill a tank.
I ran two in case one got blocked.
I would buy the drain kit they sell. Makes it easier to plumb and quiet.
Over all I would use them again. I kind of forgot about them.
Should have used them on my new build.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Xaqua InOut since 2012. Have only one drain and although it does keep me nervous I've never had an issue with it being blocked. True about pulsing, it does seem to stop after some time as you probably need to clean the inlet with a pipe brush or something. Anyway, that's not the main reason why I got it as with today's powerheads you can create whatever flow you want - I got it mainly because of the compact overflow and ease of installation in case you can drill the tank and its compact size. For a future upgrade I plan on just getting another drain with this overflow and drill it somewhat higher to act as an emergency drain.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Xaqua InOut since 2012. Have only one drain and although it does keep me nervous I've never had an issue with it being blocked. True about pulsing, it does seem to stop after some time as you probably need to clean the inlet with a pipe brush or something. Anyway, that's not the main reason why I got it as with today's powerheads you can create whatever flow you want - I got it mainly because of the compact overflow and ease of installation in case you can drill the tank and its compact size. For a future upgrade I plan on just getting another drain with this overflow and drill it somewhat higher to act as an emergency drain.

Ya it makes me nervous a little too, but regular maintenance should be good to go. I’m thinking of adding a second as a back up. I’m looking forward to installing it in my IM25 and seeing how it works.

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 2 Xaqua InOuts on my 120 gal display for the last 2 years and I highly recommend them. I went that direction to eliminate the need for an in-tank overflow.

The pulsing worked for a while but I now have my DC return pump pulse so I'm not concerned with the InOut's pulsing functionality.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back