xenia and hammer not happy

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone,

for the last 4 days iv noticed that my xenia is not pulsing and closed up and also my hammer is very shrunk and not fully extending its tentacles.
now i didn't pay too much attention to that since i though it might be their reaction to the new rsf coral energy b i started using as an amino acid supplement (low nutrient system). today during my routine water check i discovered that my dkh was 14(!)and PH 8.1 due to a miss calculation of dosage(;Facepalm). is it possible that that is what causing them to be so closed up?

i must say that all the other corals are just fine (all the others are SPS ) and other water parameters are normal.

much obliged
amir

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone,

for the last 4 days iv noticed that my xenia is not pulsing and closed up and also my hammer is very shrunk and not fully extending its tentacles.
now i didn't pay too much attention to that since i though it might be their reaction to the new rsf coral energy b i started using as an amino acid supplement (low nutrient system). today during my routine water check i discovered that my dkh was 14(!)and PH 8.1 due to a miss calculation of dosage(;Facepalm). is it possible that that is what causing them to be so closed up?

i must say that all the other corals are just fine (all the others are SPS ) and other water parameters are normal.

much obliged
amir

Do a water change to see if you can bring that DKH down some. 14 is way too high!

Can you list your other water pramameters?

OP
OP
A

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes of course,

temp:24.1 c
ph:8.1
calcium:410
magnesium:1380
salinity:1.028
ammonia:0
nitrate:0
poshphate: 0.08
redox: 285 on average (peaks up to 380 when the ozone generator kicks in)

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say bring your salinity down a bit and that may help with the alk. Everything else looks just fine other than your calc could be brought up a bit to maintain good ratio with alk (which is too high).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes of course,

temp:24.1 c
ph:8.1
calcium:410
magnesium:1380
salinity:1.028
ammonia:0
nitrate:0
poshphate: 0.08
redox: 285 on average (peaks up to 380 when the ozone generator kicks in)

Okay, numbers look fine. SG is a little high. How do you test SG?

As far as the DKH is concerned. What test kit are you using? And is it within expiration date?

OP
OP
A

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my salinity with a refractometer and it’s calibrated . My alk test kit is Red Seas algae control kit and it’s new( bought it few weeks ago).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my salinity with a refractometer and it’s calibrated . My alk test kit is Red Seas algae control kit and it’s new( bought it few weeks ago).

Algae control kit has N03 and P04 only. No DKH. are you sure about the kit? Redsea marine care kit has DKH.

OP
OP
A

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are absolutely right ,
My pho4 and nitrate test kit is algae control and my alk,calk and magnesium is reef foundation pro kit.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Lower your dkh with water changes. Then test again. Once down around 8-9 let it stay that way for several weeks and see how they look then. Good luck.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are a pretty good canary coral they will look bad before other corals do. I would keep an eye on your sps as they will sometimes take longer to show effects of a swing like that

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back