Xenia issues

chs724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what i am doin wrong. My tank is thriving. Anemones, euphylia, candy, dunkan, monti all do Great for 2 years now and tripled in Size. The one thing why i even started the Hobby is not makin it for some reason. I know its Hit or Miss Blabla i read it all. Tried high Flow, light and low Flow, light, tried nutrient rich and nutrient low, iodine and nothing seems to work for me. Bought 3 frags within 2 years with long breaks in between and every time they die. I am really frustrated tbh. Some dont want them in their tank and i cant grow them

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here....

No matter what i do, i'm still having two small patches on rock, for months now it didnt grow at all....

Mine seems healty, good color, pulsing, and everything seems normal, just dont grow and spread no matter what....

So, really cant help you, just tagging along, maybe someone has solution....

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what i am doin wrong. My tank is thriving. Anemones, euphylia, candy, dunkan, monti all do Great for 2 years now and tripled in Size. The one thing why i even started the Hobby is not makin it for some reason. I know its Hit or Miss Blabla i read it all. Tried high Flow, light and low Flow, light, tried nutrient rich and nutrient low, iodine and nothing seems to work for me. Bought 3 frags within 2 years with long breaks in between and every time they die. I am really frustrated tbh. Some dont want them in their tank and i cant grow them
Are you buying online? Xenia ships like crap. Almost always dies.

OP
OP
chs724

chs724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get them from my fishstore.
Here is the one I bought 2 days ago with the hope to have it bloom this time. I am hoping that there might be one which likes my tank. Just as we humans like or dislike different things :(

20211222_140155.jpg

Last edited:

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can be weird. What are your current parameters? I feel like I remember something about Xenia liking it just a touch cooler. I run my tank between 78.5/79 and it doesn't seem to like it at much as when I ran it at 78.

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia thrive in a Nutrient rich Reef, I have been keeping Xenia for many years it grows out of control if I don't keep an Eye on it. I have it in my Refugium too, I don't do water changes and dose 40 ml of All For Reef 1 time per day, I always bought Xenia from other local Reefers.

OP
OP
chs724

chs724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can be weird. What are your current parameters? I feel like I remember something about Xenia.....
Temp 78
Ph 8.5
Ca 415
KH 7.5

Currently thats what i am at. No3, po4 should be available as i grow some hair alge. With jbl it undetectable

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Ph 8.5
Ca 415
KH 7.5

Currently thats what i am at. No3, po4 should be available as i grow some hair alge. With jbl it undetectable

That PH is pretty high and that alkalinity is low. For my tank, which is 80 gallons in water volume I would start with a 3 bucket water change, so 15 gallons, and then I would start doing 1 bucket water changes every 3 days until I got the ph and alk more in line.

That's just how I would handle it. There are many other ways to accomplish this, but I would definitely start by bringing my ph down to 8.3 and getting alkalinity over 8

OP
OP
chs724

chs724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
That PH is pretty high and that alkalinity is low. For my tank, which is 80 gallons in water volume I would start with a 3 bucket water change, so 15 gallons, and then I would start doing 1 bucket water changes every 3 days until I got the ph and alk more in line.

That's just how I would handle it. There are many other ways to accomplish this, but I would definitely start by bringing my ph down to 8.3 and getting alkalinity over 8
Thx for the answer. I dont really Think that makes that much difference. Chasing numbers aint the best approach as long as you are in a certain range i Think and in the end maybe the rest of my corals might not linke it.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thx for the answer. I dont really Think that makes that much difference. Chasing numbers aint the best approach as long as you are in a certain range i Think and in the end maybe the rest of my corals might not linke it.
That pH is high for any coral. At least based on my reef. I keep mine 7.8-8.2 and everything does fine. I have Xenia and lots of zoa. Some LPS and SPS.

Attachments

• B98B32D8-F8BA-4517-A3DF-8B699B6B2E00.jpeg
    B98B32D8-F8BA-4517-A3DF-8B699B6B2E00.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 305CD09B-E742-46BF-AF2F-F622F70134CE.jpeg
    305CD09B-E742-46BF-AF2F-F622F70134CE.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 31

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a diy scubber my peramiters are 78 degrees undetectable nitrates and phosphates per hanna checkers. Alk 9 cal 440 i keep my mag high around 1500 ph 8.1 it is taking over all my rock help. LOL
I am going to start all for reef also looks like a good product.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back