Xenia

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bothered to photograph xenia because I generally view it to be a reef weed and figured it would be more hassle than it was worth to get a polyp or two when they are opened. Rich Dietz (Mr. Firemouth) has a xenia species that is quite attractive. While photographing his other corals, I started considering how I might get a photo of the xenia. It took a few shots, but I got a couple of presentable images. Here's my favorite, so far.
Gary

richxenia02.jpg

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That came out awesome, being that they were pumping like crazy!
I hope to see more shots of the corals too!!!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Xenia elongota and a beautiful picture!!

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. The shot worked out much better than I expected. I'll be trying more of this and will see if there are any other decent shots in the bunch I took at Rich's.

Southstar, I use Canon 20D bodies and whatever lens gets the job done. My most-used macro lens is the Sigma EX180. My standard setup also includes a tripod, remote release, and I almost always use the mirror-lockup feature. This shot was done with the Sigma 180, but mirror lockup turned off because I wanted the shutter to trip immediately. Settings were 0.3 sec. at f/11 and ISO 800.
Gary

eubear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While everyone is on the Xenia subject I have a question. I have an established coral tank (over 3 years). It's a 65 gal with a heavy bio load and I've got a few fish, several SPS, LPS, Soft corals mixed. I got some Xenia recently and they seemed to be doing well however just recently they started to whither away/melt away. I've only got a few left and they just seem to be shrinking for no reason. Any suggestions on what I should do? BTW, what do they eat, how much light do they need?, water flow/ current, etc.?
Thanks very much, Ed

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. The shot worked out much better than I expected. I'll be trying more of this and will see if there are any other decent shots in the bunch I took at Rich's.

Southstar, I use Canon 20D bodies and whatever lens gets the job done. My most-used macro lens is the Sigma EX180. My standard setup also includes a tripod, remote release, and I almost always use the mirror-lockup feature. This shot was done with the Sigma 180, but mirror lockup turned off because I wanted the shutter to trip immediately. Settings were 0.3 sec. at f/11 and ISO 800.
Gary

I have abosolutely no idea what that jibbirish means but nice pics!! :) I need to get a DSLR and learn some of this, thankfully Poseidon isnt too far away and I'll have to pick his brain :xd:

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While everyone is on the Xenia subject I have a question. I have an established coral tank (over 3 years). It's a 65 gal with a heavy bio load and I've got a few fish, several SPS, LPS, Soft corals mixed. I got some Xenia recently and they seemed to be doing well however just recently they started to whither away/melt away. I've only got a few left and they just seem to be shrinking for no reason. Any suggestions on what I should do? BTW, what do they eat, how much light do they need?, water flow/ current, etc.?
Thanks very much, Ed

Lil off topic but Xenia are a "dirty water" species, they prefer higher nutrients. They can be kept successfullly in low nutrient tanks however provided proper light and flow, they dont need a ton of a light, moderate prolly, they do however benefit from Iodine present in the system. Flow would also be moderate but I've seen em being whipped around and doing great. Actually pretty hard to kill, impressive you've done so :p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back