Xenia

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting thing in this book, I'm pretty sure what most of us call Xenia, isn't. It appears that it's actually called Sasibia.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems it’s officially classified in the xeniidae family. So I can see why people call it a (blue) xenia in the hobby.

Well yes. It's in the Xendiiae family. Lots of corals share a family but aren't that particular type.
Such as Dendro and capnella. All neptheidae, but very different corals in appearance and behavior. I can see why it was easily mixed up though, because people were probably saying or thinking xendiiae family and it just kind of got lumped all into one. Sort of like "Kenya tree". Every thing remotely aboreal looking is a Kenya tree when it isn't.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes. It's in the Xendiiae family. Lots of corals share a family but aren't that particular type.
Such as Dendro and capnella. All neptheidae, but very different corals in appearance and behavior. I can see why it was easily mixed up though, because people were probably saying or thinking xendiiae family and it just kind of got lumped all into one. Sort of like "Kenya tree". Every thing remotely aboreal looking is a Kenya tree when it isn't.
Soft corals are still largely unclassified and misclassified. They’re much harder to classify for obvious reasons (depth, light, survival rate out of ocean). I wouldn’t sweat it too much about what is what; enjoy the beauty with what you like.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back