xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun coral (cool but really a PITA):
DSC02353.jpg

Some random fish photos that occured due to them thinking they were getting food:
(fish eating)
DSC02365.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the photo update.

pepper'scove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin the tank man, when I am finally ready to set my 75 up you're gonna have to come over and help arrange the rockwork. I have all kinds of projects in mind for this summer. After my crash/crack I'm going to be taking it slow and being extra careful to set up my equipment exactly how I want it BEFORE I add my scaled and calciferous friends!!! Since I'm gonna be in town all summer I predict you'll be a bad influence on me and I'll get all sorts of new pieces of equipment (aka toys for grown up kids :D)

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin the tank man, when I am finally ready to set my 75 up you're gonna have to come over and help arrange the rockwork. I have all kinds of projects in mind for this summer. After my crash/crack I'm going to be taking it slow and being extra careful to set up my equipment exactly how I want it BEFORE I add my scaled and calciferous friends!!! Since I'm gonna be in town all summer I predict you'll be a bad influence on me and I'll get all sorts of new pieces of equipment (aka toys for grown up kids :D)

Just make sure you don't try to grind glass with a wood bit again and that should take care of dejavu. I can't wait for the LED DIY project this summer. There is nothing wrong with toys for grown ups. If anything they are better than our childhood toys.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks great, good work

Thank you very much rockinreef. I have put a lot of time and blood in to the tank. Yes, blood has literally gone in to the tank when I decided to try cutting off my finger a few months ago when I installed my reactor. Remember, every job has a tool. A cerated carving knife is not the correct tool to use for cutting vinyl tubing.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was going to be a good idea, but I am now regretting it. It looks really cool, but I keep busting pieces off by accident and I ever have to move the tank I will have to dremel the crap off the overflow. Only practical if you don't plan on moving for a long time.

lol i was wondering how you would get it off..

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xmetal - Nice new pics of your tank man! I'm surprised you found some time with all of the posts lol. Everything looks great!!

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also just seen that you have sun polyps and i was always wondering if i could keep and grow them in a cave or under the rock work like that.. how is that going for you, do you target feed them or do they just filter feed?

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xmetal - Nice new pics of your tank man! I'm surprised you found some time with all of the posts lol. Everything looks great!!

LOL, yea I figured I would update my thread with the photos that were taken the other day while I was waiting for others to post in threads.

i also just seen that you have sun polyps and i was always wondering if i could keep and grow them in a cave or under the rock work like that.. how is that going for you, do you target feed them or do they just filter feed?

They are easier to keep than people let on. They just require more work when it comes to feeding since they are non-photosynthetic. A little bit of both for feeding. I feed them once a week to make sure they get enough food, but for the most part they just grab mysis floating about the tank. I feed three times a day due to my fish selection so they always have a chance to snag some grub.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easier to keep than people let on. They just require more work when it comes to feeding since they are non-photosynthetic. A little bit of both for feeding. I feed them once a week to make sure they get enough food, but for the most part they just grab mysis floating about the tank. I feed three times a day due to my fish selection so they always have a chance to snag some grub.

so what do you suggest i do for feeding them if i do decide to get some? i feed a couple tsp's of reef nutrition live phytofeast everyday.. do you think that would sustain them till the one feeding of mysis and plankton i feed weekly???

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what do you suggest i do for feeding them if i do decide to get some? i feed a couple tsp's of reef nutrition live phytofeast everyday.. do you think that would sustain them till the one feeding of mysis and plankton i feed weekly???

I feel feeding phytoplankton in a tank that does not have any obligatory filter feeders is a waste of money and just poluting the water. I feen mine chopped squid and mysis. They prefer meaty foods. I don't think they will really go for the phytoplankton, but it will cause a feeding response. Use a syringe and feed the polyps with mysis when the polyps are open.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is mostly zoanthid dominated, thats what one of the guys at faois said the live phytofeast would be better for feeding them than arcti-pods..

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is mostly zoanthid dominated, thats what one of the guys at faois said the live phytofeast would be better for feeding them than arcti-pods..

There is still a pretty good debate on wether zoanthids actually feed from the water column or not. I used to use DT's phyto and found it caused me nothing but headaches.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the foam pad that went under my sump was a real pain. Since the bottom is not a rectangle, I had to cut out tiny bits to allow for wood braces.

Foam Pad installed:
DSC01428.jpg

Orange and purple plate:
DSC01430.jpg

Wall hammer:
DSC01431.jpg

Chalices:
DSC01432.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01439-1.jpg

Clam and lobo:
DSC01433.jpg

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the babie roses (sorry for the awful/no focus):
DSC01435.jpg

DSC01436-1.jpg

Duncans not open completely:
DSC01438.jpg

Frag rack:
DSC01437.jpg

Random photo:
DSC01441.jpg

Skimmate 48 hours after installer new cup and impeller:
DSC01444.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new pics XMetal - That Wall Hammer is a very cool horseshoe shape!! Chalices look good too.

When I got it, the hammer was shaped like a questionmark and I called it the riddler hammer. I wish my camera was able to capture its true colors. it is pink and blue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back