XR15G5s: Are the issues fixed?

Slowbalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to go with an XR15 G5 (unsure if blue or pro as of now), but reading many threads with issues with schedule, noise, cracks... Are those issues fixed now, or should I run the other way?

Thanks!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to go with an XR15 G5 (unsure if blue or pro as of now), but reading many threads with issues with schedule, noise, cracks... Are those issues fixed now, or should I run the other way?

Thanks!
I never heard of any issues with the 15’s. There’s really no difference between the g4 xr15’s and G5’s. The main differences are between the xr30’s. I would get the G4’s. The issues are already worked out and you’d save some $ on essentially the same product.

U

User1

View Badges
I never heard of any issues with the 15’s. There’s really no difference between the g4 xr15’s and G5’s. The main differences are between the xr30’s. I would get the G4’s. The issues are already worked out and you’d save some $ on essentially the same product.

There are plenty - just need to search. Look for cracked or lower cover or shipping issues. There are also a few around the fan noise. Please note that I'm not an owner of the xr15 or 30 but at the time of initial launch there are threads popping up all over.

OP - the cracked cover was resolved. They fixed it in their production line and sent out kits I believe to customers who reported the issues. I do not know about the fan. It may be that there wasn't a issue and it was only a couple who reported the issue or concern so I am only speaking of the cover.

I do not know anything software or other stuff but they addressed the case/cover quickly. Kudo's to them.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty - just need to search. Look for cracked or lower cover or shipping issues. There are also a few around the fan noise. Please note that I'm not an owner of the xr15 or 30 but at the time of initial launch there are threads popping up all over.

OP - the cracked cover was resolved. They fixed it in their production line and sent out kits I believe to customers who reported the issues. I do not know about the fan. It may be that there wasn't a issue and it was only a couple who reported the issue or concern so I am only speaking of the cover.

I do not know anything software or other stuff but they addressed the case/cover quickly. Kudo's to them.
Oh yeah, I forgot when they were over-tightening the cover screws. I wouldn’t really call that an issue though as it doesn’t cause functionality problems. Purely cosmetic but they fixed it right away. Everyone complains about “fan noise”. I call it buyers remorse LOL

U

User1

View Badges
Oh yeah, I forgot when they were over-tightening the cover screws. I wouldn’t really call that an issue though as it doesn’t cause functionality problems. Purely cosmetic but they fixed it right away. Everyone complains about “fan noise”. I call it buyers remorse LOL

Lol. I really don't know much on the fan so thought maybe it was isolated. I watched an interview of theirs and they discussed the new fan design so always thought it was odd to be loud.

In any case I don't know as I'm not an owner. But yes. Cosmetic and fixed. They did good in turning that around.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XR30 Blue and can confirm Ecotech mailed out a kit to fix and prevent the cracking. I haven’t heard any cracking/popping sounds after that fix. No new cracks either - just checked to be sure.
I also thought the fan was ridiculously loud at first. My tank is in my bedroom and I’ve been working from home, so it was really obnoxious at times. I actually forgot the fan was loud though because I haven’t noticed in a while until your question reminded me. Maybe there was a software update that improved the noise. I also could have just gotten used to it. Sorry I’m not much help in the fan noise. I don’t want to guess and give you wrong info. I can just say from my own experience it’s not noticeable like it used to be.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back