Yasha goby pair fighting?

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of Yasha goby's online to avoid the fiasco of them possibly fighting, these were living together for a few weeks already and it was very a VERY reputable online store.

I've had nonstop issues with the larger Yasha attacking the smaller one. It has not caused any damage, but will chase it away from its home out into the open, sometimes around the tank, but I have not observed any damage. Both are eating and thriving.

Will the aggression ever stop? I'm guessing I have two females and not a true pair... I purchased them with a candy cane pistol shrimp, wanting a pair of Yasha's with the pistol, I'm thinking I may need a different plan.

They are absolutely tiny and are in my bedroom 14g biocube, along with the shrimp. I may be moving the docile one to my 60g display as the dominant one has paired successfully with the pistol and later trade the Yasha for another, hoping it will pair successfully.

Any advice would be great.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of Yasha goby's online to avoid the fiasco of them possibly fighting, these were living together for a few weeks already and it was very a VERY reputable online store.

I've had nonstop issues with the larger Yasha attacking the smaller one. It has not caused any damage, but will chase it away from its home out into the open, sometimes around the tank, but I have not observed any damage. Both are eating and thriving.

Will the aggression ever stop? I'm guessing I have two females and not a true pair... I purchased them with a candy cane pistol shrimp, wanting a pair of Yasha's with the pistol, I'm thinking I may need a different plan.

They are absolutely tiny and are in my bedroom 14g biocube, along with the shrimp. I may be moving the docile one to my 60g display as the dominant one has paired successfully with the pistol and later trade the Yasha for another, hoping it will pair successfully.

Any advice would be great.
Many times it’s hard to determine a true pair from a pair that are just using eachother for security. In captivity if they’ve just been imported they will hide with eachother for security (Safety in numbers), since the two got along for the first few weeks this is proving the point of they were simply coping with eachother for safety and not a true pair. LFSs and Sellers will often see this bond and sell them as a pair - Often resulting in a false pair that fight as seen in your case. Chances are you will have two of the same gender that will not get along. A photo of both specimens will help to identify if you do have two yashas of the same gender. Many gobies are sexually dimorphic (Much like wrasses).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back