Yasha Goby + Pistol Shrimp Behaviors

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my Yasha Goby + Randalli Pistol Shrimp for about 2 months now, and I've observed an interesting cycle. When I introduced the Yasha, they paired within 24 hours, and were inseparable for about 2 weeks. Then, next thing I know, the Yasha and Pistol were no longer roommates. At opposite ends of the tank. During this time, the Yasha seemed lost, depressed, without purpose... It was during this time it managed to jump out of my tank (with lid through the mesh), luckily I found him before he dried up and he recovered just fine. About a week later, they were paired up again doing their thing like normal.

But now recently, they are separated again, and the Yasha's behavior is concerning to me during this time because typically when its paired with the Pistol it sleeps in the burrow, but when its separated from the Pistol I'll see the goby kind of out and about cruising around at night or just resting on the sand out in the open, seemingly trying to discover itself again or something lol.

edit: I'm just wondering if this is normal, maybe the Pistol kicks the Yasha out when its molting or something?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not uncommon.
my pistol shrimp went from being a pair to outright territorial and possible being a serial killer. my yellow watchman goby died in injury, alone , and after being separated for more than few months from the shrimp (they were together for few weeks in the beginning). While we dont exact circumstances of death, i suspect the shrimp. While the goby died after few months, chase, the territorial pistol shrimp would live on for 3+ years. he would make loud noise at night which we later realized was him threatening any snail or fish coming near his burrow. Since this was a nano, the entire tank bottom end up area 51. It was also amusing, as he would make those loud clicking sound anytime i bring feeder/cleaning equipment. Guest's were amused. feeding, care, tank size makes a lot of difference. I think like big dogs and other animals those things in turn influence their behaviors.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 51 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back