Yellow belly regal angel

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just arrived today. Best advise on foods to try? Currently going to try reef nutrition pellets, Larry’s frozen foods, brine, PE mysis, clam. After a week in QT he will be treated with copper/TTM followed by prazipro if needed. Any advise or pointers ?

AF0659DB-5A3F-4B80-BF21-194239054B73.jpeg

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put mine in DT just a couple weeks ago after couple days with no luck getting him to eat. I got and idea to mix in some Mysis into some Mastick and stuck on a rock. Started picking at it right away. Then went to LRS frenzy and ate that very well. For some reason only ate red algae sheets once in DT I guess he saw others eat it. Now he devours it. I was never able to get him to eat pellets. Good luck

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I do have some flakes I can try as well. Offered some food last night and he wasn’t interested but I’ll try again today with some garlic soaked food and selcon soaked food.

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an adult Regal Angel that wouldn't eat nor did it show any interest in eating. I wrapped some LRF in the Nori and attached it with a florescent colored rubber band to a piece of Live rock. I think the Regal thought the florescent rubber band was a sponge and started to rip at the rubber band, while doing so he ripped the Nori and ate it, then some LRF came out and he started eating the LRF. It took several days doing this before he was comfortable eating during normal feeding. Hope this helps Good Luck.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often add, a dither fish, small lively aggressively feeding fish together with fish like Regal Angle when I try to get them acclimated to captivity. They learn from other fish, and also the frenzy activity of the dither fish feeding will induce feeding behavior from the Regal angel.
I often use one of my clown pair like in the picture below. This Regal, which I successfully acclimated, was very small, smaller than the female clown. He was with me for many years until killed by Hurricane Harvey.
I don't QT my fish, only acclimated them to captivity.
BabyRegal2016051201.jpg
BabyRegal2016051202.jpg
BabyRegal2016051203.jpg

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Regals seem to like more natural offerings. By that I mean that some like to "pick" rather than gobble readily from the water column.
Mine will eat some from the water column (LRS Reef Frenzy) but really chows on LRS inserted in 2 Little Fishies Pouch Feeder. This mesh feeder is closed on sides open on top. Great for angels and butterflies.

My Regal really loves thawed clam on half shell.

I put Masstick in an empty clam shell which he likes. You can also try Masstick mixed with meaty foods. I just to bind mixture to a clam shell.

For picky shy Regals, clams seem to be a favorite. Regals are individuals, so try different things and observe. Mine won’t eat Mega Marine Angel but loves LRS. But def try clams.

4144E068-9D58-4AB7-9D48-6EB689D8E970.jpeg

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I purchased some masstick that will be here early next week. I do have half clams I got from the LFS but will this encourage him to eat my gigas clam once in the tank?

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some masstick that will be here early next week. I do have half clams I got from the LFS but will this encourage him to eat my gigas clam once in the tank?

You should most likely be fine on that account. My regal eats supermarket clams but never showed any interest in my maxima.

By the way, you should be prepared for the eventuality that you may have to introduce it to your DT without going through QT.
I don’t QT myself but from what I understand they can do poorly in a sterile QT environment.

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took almost three weeks to eat. Tried everything at first including live black worms and nothing. After the third day I started cp and furan 2. I read that a sick regal worn eat at all. As time when on the meds helped and now it eats mysis and lrs. I also think having another fish that eats well in the same tank is key. I also think they are pickers and that is the way get them eat, rubber band food to a rock, pouch, etc

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is collard greens. This may have been what got mine to finally eat. Don’t know for sure but I couldn’t find the small price I placed in the tank after a few hours.

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Showed no interest in half clam shell today. Just smelled up the house for a good hour. I do have him in the QT with 3 small regal tangs. All get along well and the regals are eating. I went on ahead and started adding copper to the tank so I can get through 14 days of treatment before he may need to be moved.

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not a great photo but I did band some algae to a rock for him to nip at.

EC885C8F-9736-4238-BCEE-D81CB98D7AE3.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my Regals greedily eat flakes. They also eat Nori and do not like frozen food as much. I mix frozen mysis with flakes to feed the tank in the AM. During these feeding frenzy, they only go after flakes.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes nls pellets, all the little ones I have tried have eaten those pellets. He does not really go for frozen, as far as I can tell he mainly eats nls, sponge(under some of my rocks) and pemysis pellets. It did take a few months for him to eat the pemysis pellets

James H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often add, a dither fish, small lively aggressively feeding fish together with fish like Regal Angle when I try to get them acclimated to captivity. They learn from other fish, and also the frenzy activity of the dither fish feeding will induce feeding behavior from the Regal angel.
I often use one of my clown pair like in the picture below. This Regal, which I successfully acclimated, was very small, smaller than the female clown. He was with me for many years until killed by Hurricane Harvey.
I don't QT my fish, only acclimated them to captivity.
BabyRegal2016051201.jpg
BabyRegal2016051202.jpg
BabyRegal2016051203.jpg

[/QUOTE

beautiful fish! Where did you get your regal?

James H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my Regals greedily eat flakes. They also eat Nori and do not like frozen food as much. I mix frozen mysis with flakes to feed the tank in the AM. During these feeding frenzy, they only go after flakes.

beautiful fish! Where did you get your regal?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up mine a few weeks ago as a large adult male, straight from the IO. Came in at 5”. Wouldn’t touch much for days to about 1.5 weeks in QT, not even clams or black worms, mysis, flakes. Nothing.

luckily in the DT it takes to NLS pellets like crack. I find it likes red colored foods.

B10DE9A3-4531-4F23-8BF7-351678CF3555.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back