Yellow belly regal angel

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide clear cut distinctions between IO/RS regals vs their South Pacific counterparts? Or is it just simply the “belly color” one being yellow/orange vs blue/gray?

I would say that is your number one indicator, also colors are not as vibrant on the Pacific ones, at least in my experience.

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide clear cut distinctions between IO/RS regals vs their South Pacific counterparts? Or is it just simply the “belly color” one being yellow/orange vs blue/gray?
It is simply the belly color. But you can get yellowbellies from Indo, they come from sumatra. In my experience the real Red sea Regal is really rare, most of the yellowbellies come from Indo or Malidives. Also the color is diffrent from specimen to specimen, some are more orange and some more yellow.

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME I don’t think there is any reliable difference to distinguish between the various regions that the yellowbellies come from. Some may be brighter yellow/orange but I think that is just variation between individuals more than variation between regions.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna assume mine is NOT Red Sea then, based on how rare they appear to be. I’m gonna assume at best I paid for an IO one, not sure that even matters any way. I’m just happy it took to flakes and mysis in the water column yesterday, but still loves those NLS pellets!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My experiences and research into Regal Angels indicated that they are basically a Yellow fish, as they grow, the white, blue and black line grow in. Baby Pacific, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Regal Angels all look the same as very young fish. As they develope, the white, back and blue lines grow in, displaced the yellow colors. We can see that the changes stop early with Indian Ocean and Red Sea fish while continue with Pacific Regal angels. Pacific regal have wider bands of white, blue and black resulting in narrower yellow area. Of course the chest area also darken to greyish blue.
I am at work, so I don't have access to the images of most of my Regal Angels, only those that I posted on line. Later today, when I get home I can post pictures that show the differences of adult Regal Angels between Pacific and Non Pacific area. I was never able to come up with any clear differences between Indian Ocean vs. Red Sea, other than maybe Red Sea is "more orange" which I don't think is true.

I would say that is your number one indicator, also colors are not as vibrant on the Pacific ones, at least in my experience.
I would disagree that Pacific Regal are less vibrant. They are extremely beautiful also, but is a darker fish over all. Certainly more blue. One can say that Non-Pacific Regals have their color changes arrested earlier than that of the Pacific ones. I certainly don't think that this arrested development is a bad thing, even if we always have bad connotation to the word "arrested development". Non Pacific Regal Angels just looks different than the Pacific one. I like both essentially equal.

If anybody look at my Pacific Regal angel below and said that he is not a beautiful fish, I would say that (s)he is lying :) (not really)
bluchestregal2-jpg.1217754

bluchestregal3-jpg.1217743

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences and research into Regal Angels indicated that they are basically a Yellow fish, as they grow, the white, blue and black line grow in. Baby Pacific, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Regal Angels all look the same as very young fish. As they develope, the white, back and blue lines grow in, displaced the yellow colors. We can see that the changes stop early with Indian Ocean and Red Sea fish while continue with Pacific Regal angels. Pacific regal have wider bands of white, blue and black resulting in narrower yellow area. Of course the chest area also darken to greyish blue.
I am at work, so I don't have access to the images of most of my Regal Angels, only those that I posted on line. Later today, when I get home I can post pictures that show the differences of adult Regal Angels between Pacific and Non Pacific area. I was never able to come up with any clear differences between Indian Ocean vs. Red Sea, other than maybe Red Sea is "more orange" which I don't think is true.

I would disagree that Pacific Regal are less vibrant. They are extremely beautiful also, but is a darker fish over all. Certainly more blue. One can say that Non-Pacific Regals have their color changes arrested earlier than that of the Pacific ones. I certainly don't think that this arrested development is a bad thing, even if we always have bad connotation to the word "arrested development". Non Pacific Regal Angels just looks different than the Pacific one. I like both essentially equal.

If anybody look at my Pacific Regal angel below and said that he is not a beautiful fish, I would say that (s)he is lying :) (not really)
bluchestregal2-jpg.1217754

bluchestregal3-jpg.1217743
I am not calling them ugly, just not as vibrant which you seem to agree with when you said colors can be more muted? I have owned red sea, Maldives and Pacific, I actually owned several sizes of the Pacific in the past and none were as bright as the yellow bellies. Beautiful fish either way

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not calling them ugly, just not as vibrant which you seem to agree with when you said colors can be more muted? I have owned red sea, Maldives and Pacific, I actually owned several sizes of the Pacific in the past and none were as bright as the yellow bellies. Beautiful fish either way
I am kidding. I think they are beautiful fish, especially the ones that I had. I had several. Fortunately, they all have blue instead of gray overtone. Very striking and beautiful, but over all darker fish than the non Pacific Regal.

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mine is doing much better now that he’s in the display tank. Hasn’t touched the zoas or clams yet.

08D13CBB-BC33-422E-85BE-9D328E89FBD4.jpeg

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The majority were moved to the frag tank aside from the ones already stuck to the rocks so if he has a snack its not worry. As long as he leaves the gigas clam alone I’ll be happy

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my yellow chested regals picked on my Gigas. I had to move the clam to another tank. The other tank has an indo regal that hasn’t shown any interest in the clam so far. I’m not confident it will stay that way though.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy since Feb 4th. Not as plump as when I got him. The immediate area near the gills, I assume where the stomach is located, is flattened.

Have done 2 full cycles of Prazi in the DT in since his arrival. He just doesn't eat much. Will eat clams for like 30 sec. Usually only going after the abductor part. The whole main middle of the clam he doesn't much care for. Will eat just a bit too when I mesh masstick with LRS or mysis into a clamshell. I did get alot of amphipods when he arrived and that got him to eat pretty much right away.

Goes around the whole tank looking for pods or sponge. Hasn't touch zoas yet. He did occasionally eat NLS pellets in the beginning. Now it gets in his mouth and he spits it out. I just wish he can gorge on the clam to get himself plumb again. Does not eat seaweed.

He is a misbar yellow belly:
IMG_20200406_173427.jpg
IMG_20200406_185137.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two Regal angels that was about the same size. One can use proportion of the eye relative to the head as guide. Eyes do not grow as fast as the rest of the body. The Yellow line of Non Pacific angel is markedly larger in comparison to Pacific angels. Look at the ratio of Yellow vs the non yellow bars. There you have it.
RegalAngelBlueChest02.jpg
RegalAngelYellowChest2016051508.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two Regal angels that was about the same size. One can use proportion of the eye relative to the head as guide. Eyes do not grow as fast as the rest of the body. The Yellow line of Non Pacific angel is markedly larger in comparison to Pacific angels. Look at the ratio of Yellow vs the non yellow bars. There you have it.
RegalAngelBlueChest02.jpg
RegalAngelYellowChest2016051508.jpg
Thanks for this pic. This is clearly noticeable, especially the bars and the grey belly and face.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy since Feb 4th. Not as plump as when I got him. The immediate area near the gills, I assume where the stomach is located, is flattened.

Have done 2 full cycles of Prazi in the DT in since his arrival. He just doesn't eat much. Will eat clams for like 30 sec. Usually only going after the abductor part. The whole main middle of the clam he doesn't much care for. Will eat just a bit too when I mesh masstick with LRS or mysis into a clamshell. I did get alot of amphipods when he arrived and that got him to eat pretty much right away.

Goes around the whole tank looking for pods or sponge. Hasn't touch zoas yet. He did occasionally eat NLS pellets in the beginning. Now it gets in his mouth and he spits it out. I just wish he can gorge on the clam to get himself plumb again. Does not eat seaweed.

He is a misbar yellow belly:
IMG_20200406_173427.jpg
IMG_20200406_185137.jpg

try mixing some fenbendazole into the masstick and feeding that for a couple weeks. I feel like it works much better than prazi. I have even had to tube feed the fenbendazole for a couple that wouldn’t eat well before. It’s actually pretty easy. I use an IV catheter and can usually be done in about 30 seconds. It may not be a parasite issue for yours but it’s good to rule it out at least.
try clipping some nori to a rock as well. They also go insane for shad roe if you can find it. It’s expensive but packed with calories and I don’t find many fish that will turn it down

this is were I get mine

ZanclusKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very fortunate to get this 6” regal to eat after 2 weeks of hypo and low dose cupramine. I attribute my success to him being in a tank full of fish already eating. Treating with prazi now!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back