Yellow Coris/Maxima clam

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with a Yellow coris nipping on their clams. They have been together for over a year no problems. The clam is always out in the day, but the last couple of days he is pulled in and trying to ease out. The Coris is spending a lot of time and curiosity around the clam. I see no parasites such a pyramid snails that he would be attracted to. I am wondering if he has developed a taste for clam.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the clam still look healthy? When clams start their downward spiral they attract a host of predators that would normally leave them alone.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be he is just picking at pods. If you have not completely checked the foot/base of the clam at night for pyramids I would.

I have never had a wrasse go after a clam, but I am pretty confident it has happened.

Concern seems to be that the wrasse is stressing out the clam and that is not good. IME a stressed clam eventually succumbs and dies, so if it continues to be an issue I would intervene. Wrasses are hard to catch, since this wrasse type sleeps in the sand you might want to try catching it as it sleeps.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow coris is not a predator of healthy clams. If the clam is closed/pinched then there is likely another cause. A yellow coris will be interested in any clam parasites, but my also be interested in a sick/dying clam as well.

OP
OP
paraletho

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be he is just picking at pods. If you have not completely checked the foot/base of the clam at night for pyramids I would.

I have never had a wrasse go after a clam, but I am pretty confident it has happened.

Concern seems to be that the wrasse is stressing out the clam and that is not good. IME a stressed clam eventually succumbs and dies, so if it continues to be an issue I would intervene. Wrasses are hard to catch, since this wrasse type sleeps in the sand you might want to try catching it as it sleeps.

I may just be imagining things. I have had this Maxima for 8 yrs in 2 different tanks. I would hate to lose it. Catching the wrasse is no problem. It is a barebottom tank and he sleeps in a container of sand.

Does the clam still look healthy? When clams start their downward spiral they attract a host of predators that would normally leave them alone.

Other than the clams mantle not coming out fully for the last 2 days. It seems fine. I did start feeding Reef Nutrition Arcti Pods about a week ago. All parameters stable and corals are happy. I will try a night time look.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back