Yellow Coris Wrasse Compatibility

kelleymc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get some input on adding yellow Coris wrasse to my happy fish family. I currently have the followings:

- 2 clowns
- 1 yellow tang
- 1 mccoskers wrasse
- 1 royal gramma
- 1 purple firefish goby
- 1 golden head sleeper goby
- 1 midas blenny

Thoughts on compatibility? Thanks!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your tank size? I know wrasses often don't play nice together, especially if they don't have enough space to avoid each other

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Coris is a Halichoeres. They are a bit more aggressive than Paracheilinus (flashers) but the two groups are compatible and do not often have issues from what all I have read.

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a 40 breeder with Possum wrasse, striped blenny, harptail blenny, pair of perculas, and a court jester goby. He looked after the court jester and made sure he wasn’t pestered until he was comfortable.

He will definitely steal food from corals. And will kick up sand when frisky. A beautiful fish that is worth it.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

The yellow wrasse is one of the most peaceful Halichoeres wrasse as others have said. However there is no such thing as a “yellow coris wrasse”.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kelleymc

kelleymc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that they’re classified on the Dr Reef site as “fish only” tanks and not “reef”. Is that everyone’s experience as well?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of reef safe, it could eventually go after desirable inverts. I've noticed my nerite snails disappeared after introducing a yellow wrasse and a blue star leopard wrasse, and I often find my ceriths turned over. Trochus and Astraea and conches are all unbothered. The sexy shrimp hangs on to its RFA for dear life.

RE: compatibility, I would expect the yellow wrasse to be peaceful, but every fish is an individual. An acclimation box is probably useful.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Yellow are laid back and won’t go after inverts. Always a chance a fish won’t get along or toss around inverts but very low with you choice.
That is your tank is big enough for the wrasse.
I will say if you think you would like more wrasse down the road now would be the best time. I recommend adding wrasse together or groups if possible

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get some input on adding yellow Coris wrasse to my happy fish family. I currently have the followings:

- 2 clowns
- 1 yellow tang
- 1 mccoskers wrasse
- 1 royal gramma
- 1 purple firefish goby
- 1 golden head sleeper goby
- 1 midas blenny

Thoughts on compatibility? Thanks!
As others have said, what is your tank size?

This is key in if fish will get along as if not given enough territory your fish will become more boisterous towards eachother.

Also, just a warning - once these guys get larger (4-5”) and are males, they can become slightly more boisterous. Not out right aggressive but boisterous. I had a Male Radiant (said to be peaceful and all the females I’ve had have proven to be this way) that was quite boisterous to the other wrasses as he matured. This wasn’t to do with lack of territory but just as he was boss of the wrasses and slender bodied fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back