Yellow Eye Bristletooth Tang Hanging out infront of HOB Filter in QT

WTJReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I have recently purchased a nice looking bristletooth tang last Sunday. For all I can tell he may very well be healthy. Eating well from the moment I got him into the Quarantine tank and not gasping as far as I can see. Looks a healthy weight and I have not noticed any skin lesions thus far. He has devoured sheets of algae, has eaten basically any food I give him. The QT tank is 30L and I do a partial water change of the tank every 2-3 days. However he is quite shy and is hanging out in front of the the flow of the HOB filter quite a bit. Ive read this could be due to Gill flukes, but im not sure if he thinks its a sneaky spot where I cant see him. He darts between there and this PVC pipe I've given him. He doesnt seem to be breathing hard at all.

Ive decided to hit him with some praziquantel just in case but in tablet form (I cant find Prazipro in Australia). I took some of his tank water, crushed the tablet and mixed it all up last night and poured it in.

I can see the powder all over the bottom of the tank - so I take it this has been an ineffective treatment. I also intend to run some copper into the tank at a later point to make sure he doesn't have Ich or velvet before adding him to my DT

My questions are:

1. Is he simply being shy/weirdo or is this behaviour evidence of illness?
2. How do I better dissolve the Prazi or is there another more effective treatment? Is this treatment going to have an effect? Ive read people using vodka, but I'm concerned as my tank volume isn't large.
3. Will the Prazi have residual effects on the bio filter/sponge in the HOB filter? Should I change it out and after how long?

I will endeavour to upload a video of the fish this afternoon so you can all get a look at what Im talking about

Appreciate all your help guys

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I have recently purchased a nice looking bristletooth tang last Sunday. For all I can tell he may very well be healthy. Eating well from the moment I got him into the Quarantine tank and not gasping as far as I can see. Looks a healthy weight and I have not noticed any skin lesions thus far. He has devoured sheets of algae, has eaten basically any food I give him. The QT tank is 30L and I do a partial water change of the tank every 2-3 days. However he is quite shy and is hanging out in front of the the flow of the HOB filter quite a bit. Ive read this could be due to Gill flukes, but im not sure if he thinks its a sneaky spot where I cant see him. He darts between there and this PVC pipe I've given him. He doesnt seem to be breathing hard at all.

Ive decided to hit him with some praziquantel just in case but in tablet form (I cant find Prazipro in Australia). I took some of his tank water, crushed the tablet and mixed it all up last night and poured it in.

I can see the powder all over the bottom of the tank - so I take it this has been an ineffective treatment. I also intend to run some copper into the tank at a later point to make sure he doesn't have Ich or velvet before adding him to my DT

My questions are:

1. Is he simply being shy/weirdo or is this behaviour evidence of illness?
2. How do I better dissolve the Prazi or is there another more effective treatment? Is this treatment going to have an effect? Ive read people using vodka, but I'm concerned as my tank volume isn't large.
3. Will the Prazi have residual effects on the bio filter/sponge in the HOB filter? Should I change it out and after how long?

I will endeavour to upload a video of the fish this afternoon so you can all get a look at what Im talking about

Appreciate all your help guys
A video would help…..
Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation?

Be really careful using ethanol as a solvent for praziquantel, it can cause bacteria blooms that reduce the oxygen.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh boy. generally when fish swim into the flow of a powerhead or wavemaker, its a sign of velvet, but dont react yet. Work with Jay on this

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back