Yellow porites. Couple questions...

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a large piece for very cheap at the LFS.
It's bright canary yellow under daylight, but kind of dim when I put it under bluer lights. Does porites have a tendency to change colors over time?
Tidal Gardens says blast it with light and flow, but some others I have read say low light. Which is it?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a large piece for very cheap at the LFS.
It's bright canary yellow under daylight, but kind of dim when I put it under bluer lights. Does porites have a tendency to change colors over time?
Tidal Gardens says blast it with light and flow, but some others I have read say low light. Which is it?
Blast if with light and flow.
Shallow reef dwellers, waves and high light.
My Darth maul can't get enough of either.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth mail was a lower light porites when it first came in. We struggled to keep it for a while until we figured out it was being over lit, lots of people killed it. But I got mine to the point where it would handle a decent amount of light after a while. It will turn light pinkish color if you over light it and it should be a solid velvet red.
Yellow branching porites you need daylight bulbs and high par with low nutrients to keep the coral a nice yellow. Add nutrients and the base turns green some and use mainly blue light and it will be just green with green/yellow at the ends of the branches.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth mail was a lower light porites when it first came in. We struggled to keep it for a while until we figured out it was being over lit, lots of people killed it. But I got mine to the point where it would handle a decent amount of light after a while. It will turn light pinkish color if you over light it and it should be a solid velvet red.
Yellow branching porites you need daylight bulbs and high par with low nutrients to keep the coral a nice yellow. Add nutrients and the base turns green some and use mainly blue light and it will be just green with green/yellow at the ends of the branches.

Thanks for this. I’ve always wondered why darth maul did great for me (on a rock about 21” down) and yellow porites did not (same depth). This makes a lot of sense. Sooooo many sites list yellow porites as a low light coral but mine turned green and wasted away. Now that I read this, I think of Dana Riddle’s infamous light/flow hawaiian tidepool talk and of how many great porites I have seen on photos under daylight metal halides!

I want to retry this coral in my next build.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back