yellow spotted scorpionfish breathing heavy and white milky substance attached to eye

groomfoshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to R2R. Sadly I am making my first post because it seems my yellow spotted scorpionfish is having some issues. I brought him home only 4 days ago, and it seems he has a white milky substance attached to his one eye and seems to be breathing heavy. I put him in my 10gal tank as temporary holding until transferring into display tank. Parameters on the 10gal are all pretty much on:

Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.03
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

I have attached a picture of him, sorry for the bad quality. It is a small white milky looking thing attached to the cornea with a sort of stringy tail coming off it. Seems like he may also be a little bloated. I first noticed these symptoms about 45 min ago. It also seems 2 of my snails in the tank toppled over and died. One of the snails almost looks like the same milky looking substance could be coming off the snail?

any help, ideas, information would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0620.JPG

OP
OP
G

groomfoshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, tank is not official Qtank. It has about 10lbs live sand and 10lbs live rock in it.

OP
OP
G

groomfoshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response,

Unfortunately he didn't make it :( I tried treating tank with sulfaplex, but seems he was already to far gone. I did notice that only one of his eyes was cloudy and the other looked normal. Maybe some type of infection?

OP
OP
G

groomfoshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did another test on tank parameters and I now got a Nitrite reading of .2 but ammonia was 0. This tank has been cycled for a few weeks and this was the first fish I added to it. Do you think it is possible that the 2 snails in there died, and started a mini cycle?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately these days Marine fish are so infested with parasites and illness that you may never know. You should know by placing him in a temporary tank you did save your DT from having to possibly be fallow. I would guess a tank that new that the snails might have starved and wether their remains created a mini cycle will not be known. If this tank is temporary I would clean it out and sterilize it before using it again. The rock will need to be bleached and re-cured just to be safe for the future, or if you want to leave it running let it go fallow for 76 days before introducing any fish. Sorry for your loss but you can move forward and welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
G

groomfoshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately these days Marine fish are so infested with parasites and illness that you may never know. You should know by placing him in a temporary tank you did save your DT from having to possibly be fallow. I would guess a tank that new that the snails might have starved and wether their remains created a mini cycle will not be known. If this tank is temporary I would clean it out and sterilize it before using it again. The rock will need to be bleached and re-cured just to be safe for the future, or if you want to leave it running let it go fallow for 76 days before introducing any fish. Sorry for your loss but you can move forward and welcome to R2R.

Thanks for your response, and helpful info. I will probably end up doing a 90-95% water change and let it go fallow because I will not be adding anymore fish to my DT. Thanks again.

cheers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back