Yellow Tamarin laying on its side possibly stressed

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all need help deciding on taking the wrasse out and treating in quarantine or leaving it be and not stressing it out anymore.

I was moving rocks last night and I think I may have stressed it out. Had been eating great and no signs of disease that I can see. He’s been in my tank for 6 months no bullying that I can think of. Tank is 4 yes old.

Breathing rate around 130-140

Thank you all in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all need help deciding on taking the wrasse out and treating in quarantine or leaving it be and not stressing it out anymore.

I was moving rocks last night and I think I may have stressed it out. Had been eating great and no signs of disease that I can see. He’s been in my tank for 6 months no bullying that I can think of. Tank is 4 yes old.

Breathing rate around 130-140

Thank you all in advance

Tough to see with its head hidden, but I got a top-down glimpse and the fish seemed wafer thin along the back. How long have you had the wrasse? If it has been eating well for a long period, then I would have to say there is some food malabsorption issue going on. This can be internal parasites, not enough food, cyanide poisoning, or the wrong food being fed (or a combination of causes).

When a fish gets that thin, there isn't anything that can be done for it because it has utilized its liver for food.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The fish is indeed stressed but also appears to be quite thin.
What have you been feeding it?
Amy aggression with other tankmates?
Any change in temperature or salinty?
Any damage to mouth area? (cant see fish's face)

OP
OP
juarec0201

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding mysis and flakes occasionally. I have had the wrasse over 6 months and I did see it eat mysis yesterday during feeding. Was seemingly ok only thing I can think of was me moving the aqua scape. I did notice it being thin as well yesterday. Possible I have not been feeding enough throughout the day. Should I just leave it be and see if regains it’s strength?

OP
OP
juarec0201

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well came home he was missing from that spot. Then just saw him randomly out and about. Ignore my glass and rocks lol now I’m afraid to clean and stress him out.
* and eating so not sure if I should treat for any parasites or switch foods to fatten him up?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well came home he was missing from that spot. Then just saw him randomly out and about. Ignore my glass and rocks lol now I’m afraid to clean and stress him out.
* and eating so not sure if I should treat for any parasites or switch foods to fatten him up?

Great that it got up off the bottom!

Try feeding it small amounts of fatty foods multiple times a day. Will it take diced mysid shrimp? How about pellets? Frozen brine shrimp is not very nutritious.

Jay

OP
OP
juarec0201

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently is eating mysis well. I think I need to up the frequency of my feedings. I assume I just need to take a break from aquascaping until it strengthens up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently is eating mysis well. I think I need to up the frequency of my feedings. I assume I just need to take a break from aquascaping until it strengthens up.
Feeding 4x a day would not be excessive - feed until it stop eating.
Jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back