Yellow Tang Agression

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow salt enthusiasts,

Another day another struggle.

My 1.5 inch yellow tang is being a aggressive to most of the tank mates. It isn't anything over the top but he does try to back into them.

I posted before regarding my issue with all the fish being around the same area of the tank and not even using the roughly 2/3 of the area and how this behavior is causing some issues. I took the advice and introduced more rocks and hiding places on the other end but this really did not help at all since no one is even bothering to swim to that side.

The current fish list is as follows:

Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Foxface
Royal Gramma
2 clown fish

The tank is a 5 foot 130 display 165 total.

I have tried the mirror for about 3 weeks. It definitely did the job but the yellow tang is no longer interested in the mirror that much and doing his usual stuff. Since no one is trying to relocate to the other side it is a bit weird on that third of the aquarium.

What can I do to get around this issue? Should I remove the yellow tang completely? Should I remove him then reintroduce after a week?

Willing to try anything at this point.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang 'tail slap' is a dominance issue. Whoever isn't getting in line with the pecking order will continue to be harassed until the tang wins or the other fish wins. Long as the yt isn't trying to slice and dice the other fish, let it go. It's part of introduction, be prepared to pull the YT if the aggression doesn't subside or gets worse. Figure the YT & Hippo are having issues...

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang 'tail slap' is a dominance issue. Whoever isn't getting in line with the pecking order will continue to be harassed until the tang wins or the other fish wins. Long as the yt isn't trying to slice and dice the other fish, let it go. It's part of introduction, be prepared to pull the YT if the aggression doesn't subside or gets worse. Figure the YT & Hippo are having issues...
YT was doing it to foxtail as well and got a beating from it now mostly leaves him alone. He doesn’t really chase them around. I was thinking maybe some good will come feom this evil and he will chase them to the other end.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YT was doing it to foxtail as well and got a beating from it now mostly leaves him alone. He doesn’t really chase them around. I was thinking maybe some good will come feom this evil and he will chase them to the other end.
YT will leave the Foxface alone after a few flared spines. Remember the foxface is venomous. The YT will get the point, lol.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back