Yellow tang died in qt

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend and I just bought a yellow tang 2 days ago(Sunday). We put it in our qt tank to watch for a couple weeks before moving to our main display. The 30g qt tank has been up and running for about 7 weeks. It's fully cycled, temp 80F, salinity 1.025, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 and we have a hang on back bio wheel filter with carbon. We added the tang and I noticed he wouldn't eat. He would swim towards the food and be disinterested then swim away. I tried a frozen greens mix for tangs and also marine pellets. He would stay at the bottom of the tank in a corner and maybe swim back and forth at the bottom. This afternoon I went into check on him and he was dead. Any ideas on what happened or is this mainly stress related? He was the only fish in qt and the LFS said they've had him for a few weeks and treated in copper. He looked perfectly fine at the store and was eating regularly with no signs of disease.

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check and see if it was eating at the LFS?

And are you running any meds im the QT?
Yes, it was eating we were watching it for a week before we bought it. No meds in there. I wanted to wait until he showed signs of illness.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the salinity is at your LFS? Sometimes, they run lower salinity in the fish tanks. If it jumped in salinity too much, too fast, it could have stressed it enough to trigger some underlying issue. I’m assuming you checked the water after it died to make sure there wasn’t any ammonia, right?

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the salinity is at your LFS? Sometimes, they run lower salinity in the fish tanks. If it jumped in salinity too much, too fast, it could have stressed it enough to trigger some underlying issue. I’m assuming you checked the water after it died to make sure there wasn’t any ammonia, right?
The salinity is 1.024-1.025 at LFS, we buy all our fish there haha but yes, I did check for ammonia and there was still none.

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
How was it acclimated before adding to QT?
Put him and fish store water in a bucket and drip acclimated with tank water then removed him from bucket with a net and added him to the qt, same thing we do for all of the fish we get.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well, I’m really sorry for your loss. I hope the LFS will give you credit since it was an overnight thing. Sometimes, these things happen. I would lean towards it being stress-related. The only other thing I can think of is a pH imbalance causing stress. Have you checked that?

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well, I’m really sorry for your loss. I hope the LFS will give you credit since it was an overnight thing. Sometimes, these things happen. I would lean towards it being stress-related. The only other thing I can think of is a pH imbalance causing stress. Have you checked that?
No, I didn't check the pH. That's pretty much the only thing I didn't check for. I'll check it. Thank you for the kind words.

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized my mistake. They treated with copper not carbon. I have carbon in the filter pad at home haha

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps
.. But my YT that has been a super healthy vibrant fish for a year just stopped eatimg.. . She had been quarantined and I am sure it was not parasites etc...

When you think of all the things that can make us sick or kill us - it could be something that get into the tank from the air - like a virus.

Anyhow. I'm sorry you lost fish.

Just try again. It happens.

Be sure to QT....

One word of advice.
In quarantine treat the fish for ich and. Then for internal parasites.

A salinity of 1.025 is high is a QT - water evaporates fast and it shoots higher quick.

I use hyposalinty (low salinity 1.017) and Cupramine to treat for Ich. Dont run any carbon. Get a Hannah checker to check the Copper concentration or it is impossible to use Cupramine right.

The low salinity helps to fight ich... In fact this combo is the only way that has ever worked for me to cure.ich

It took about 3-4 months total time to treating with copper for a while
Do a 100% water change and treat with Prazipro
Do anothher 100% percent water change and treat with cupramine again. Keep do it this until the fish are cured.

Have seen ich show up after the second cycle! So, I do 3 and wait another month. Just to see. The struggle is real

It takes a few months of being in the QT - at least 76 days after the first sign of ich is gone. So, can be a while.
Some fish really get stressed , especially YTs which are pretty sensitive fish.

YTs are notoriously finicky eaters.

Anyhow, exact same thing happened to my YT. I removed her from the DT and treated with Prazipro... and she passed last night in QT for unknown reason.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back