• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Yellow Tang eating my Hammer!

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I saw my Yellow Tang nip at my hammer coral a few days ago. The hammer has since deteriorated and looks on its way out if not dead already. Today I see my yellow tang deciding to go nuts and eat the rest of what is left of the hammer. I have 3 Euphyllia including 2 other Hammers in the tank. Should I remove the Tang? Was it only nipping before because it was possibly dying?
20200713_155142.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been trying to feed generally light. I put up algae clips 2-3x per week and put up a new one when I saw him nip at the hammer. I guess I will put it out more regularly.

OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been feeding daily and he takes frozen and pellets. I'm afraid he will nip more corals. I would love to keep him if this was an isolated incident :/

Fragtacular After Sale

MERKEY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The hammer looks like its not doing so well...tang is most likely cleaning algea from the skeleton.

Amybswings in your parameters?

Whats your po4 and no3

OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Po4 and No3 were higher than normal bc my skimmer was offline for a while. Working on bringing those down. Hammer looked very normal before the day I saw him nip. Then the next day the hammer was more retracted on the side he nipped. I turned down the flow a bit and fed the hammer after that. Then 2 days later he looked like he was toast one morning. All other corals in tank including 2 other hammer currently doing fine.

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors