Yellow Tang Eye Injury

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noticed my yellow tangs left eye has an injury this morning is this the type of thing to heal on its own? hes still eating and acting normally not sure how this happened wasn't injured yesterday i really hope he doesn't have any issues ive had him about little over a year and this would be a very expensive loss lol

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he doesn’t have cloudiness and it’s only with one eye plus he is eating fine and swimming normally, then it’s just an injury and he will heal provided that he has good water quality, food, and no one is picking on him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
noticed my yellow tangs left eye has an injury this morning is this the type of thing to heal on its own? hes still eating and acting normally not sure how this happened wasn't injured yesterday i really hope he doesn't have any issues ive had him about little over a year and this would be a very expensive loss lol

This is a scratch or injury and I would recommend on the amount of haziness treat in in a separate tank with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 which is ethromycin for at least 5 days

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ethromycin on hand and i have running QT tanks i can treat him in now the only problem is catching him lol if i cant catch in the next day or two i wont try to stress him too much i may just monitor him thanks for all the advice

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i have ethromycin on hand and i have running QT tanks i can treat him in now the only problem is catching him lol if i cant catch in the next day or two i wont try to stress him too much i may just monitor him thanks for all the advice
Good for you. few are ever in your position. Lifting a rock/rocks and cornering him with a net is a sure catch. Many go straight at fish with net. Waddle net back and forth will confuse fish which way to go. Once you entrap it, place your hand on outside of tank at fish, and it will run into net then you can scoop.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another hint is a fish-trap - depending on how well it eats. However - setting the net in the tank for 3-4 hours can also help the fish get used to it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another hint is a fish-trap - depending on how well it eats. However - setting the net in the tank for 3-4 hours can also help the fish get used to it.
No trap- Ive seen to many fish go stark crazy when trapped which may enable further injury

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd wait and see on this fish. Catching and moving it is going to be very stressful, and if this is just a minor injury, it will heal on its own. If it starts to get red, or bulge, or if the other eye gets involved, then a treatment would be more warranted IMO.

jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back