Yellow tang from Biota

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new thread about this yellow tang to
some more attention on it

here he is swimming around last night, it is the most active I’ve ever seen him since he came in! How long do you guys think I should keep him in quarantine?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here he is swimming around last night, it is the most active I’ve ever seen him since he came in! How long do you guys think I should keep him in quarantine?

Is it eating? Everything incoming for me will stay In qt through a full copper then prazi.

Why don't you put some PVC pipes in there to break the circular flow and give it some reprieve. Looks like it's constantly having to swim to not be thrown in circles.

Or move the pump to the long side, flowing toward the other long side, not making a circular flow.

Somewhere to hide and relax would do it well.

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it eating? Everything incoming for me will stay In qt through a full copper then prazi.

Why don't you put some PVC pipes in there to break the circular flow and give it some reprieve. Looks like it's constantly having to swim to not be thrown in circles.

Or move the pump to the long side, flowing toward the other long side, not making a circular flow.

I agree with that, I just don’t have any on hand.. I moved the power head to the center of the king side so it would cut down the circular flow, good idea!

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I haven’t been able to get him to eat at all yet, and I took a close up picture of him and saw these tiny little black spots :((

Attachments

• 7FD24282-2BBF-45CB-B573-F39E0552DE7B.jpeg
    7FD24282-2BBF-45CB-B573-F39E0552DE7B.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 92

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I read your other thread. Honestly, I'm not sure why people recommended a QT at all (except that some people QT everything). Thus I would say - put him in your display tank - assuming the parameters match. I think everything that has happened is a normal behaviour for a shipped fish. Note - they ship the fish with Prime as well.

Here is the answer (from the Biota website).:

Biota's suggested acclimation guide:
We pack all of our animals individually for the safety and optimal success of each specimen. When we ship out all animals are provided with fresh shipping water that includes stress reducing and ammonia detoxifying additives to reduce the amount of shipping stress in transit. Due to these additives we suggest a quick acclimation stated below:
*We highly advise against the standard drip acclimation methodology*
1. Open box and inspect animals for immediate health.
2. Turn off lights on aquarium.
3. Float bags in aquarium for 10-15 minutes making sure to avoid clogging overflows or filtration.
4. Open bags and using a net introduce your new aquatic life to your tank. Be sure to avoid high flow areas and for smaller specimens make sure they are not predated on before they find the rockwork.
5. Leave lighting off for an additional 20-30 minutes and then turn lighting on.
New additions may be shy for the first day or two but should accept pellet and frozen foods once adjusted to their surroundings. Please be sure to monitor their health and behaviors for the first week. If you have any questions or concerns please send over an email to [email protected]

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I haven’t been able to get him to eat at all yet, and I took a close up picture of him and saw these tiny little black spots :((
Stressed fish may not eat. Honestly, him being in that water 5" deep is stressing Me out.

Fish straight from Biota, to qt or not is up to you. But that guy needs to get eating.

What have you tried food wise? Is there nori in the tank?

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stressed fish may not eat. Honestly, him being in that water 5" deep is stressing Me out.
Fish straight from Biota, to qt or not is up to you. But that guy needs to get eating.

What have you tried food wise? Is there nori in the tank?
my wife is going to pick up some nori and a 10 gallon tank right now, I just didn’t have 75 gallons on hand to use in this tank. Do you think I should put him in my display like mnfish01 said? And are the little black spots not a parasite or something?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why are you giving it so much current? It is getting tumbled around. The rearing tanks I've seen these raised in have gentle air lifts with fine bubbles. I would add a fine air stone for good gas exchange and get rid of the powerhead altogether (unless it is driving your bio filter or something).

Jay

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you giving it so much current? It is getting tumbled around. The rearing tanks I've seen these raised in have gentle air lifts with fine bubbles. I would add a fine air stone for good gas exchange and get rid of the powerhead altogether (unless it is driving your bio filter or something).

Jay
The last post I made about him someone was saying that I need to get some flow in there

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my wife is going to pick up some nori and a 10 gallon tank right now, I just didn’t have 75 gallons on hand to use in this tank. Do you think I should put him in my display like mnfish01 said? And are the little black spots not a parasite or something?
Personally I would not add that fish to the display tank until it is eating heavily and has put on some weight.

You do need some flow in there, but right now it's going through the wash cycle.. two opposing air stones in my opinion would give you enough water movement in the tank.

One would be fine in the 10g.

Do you have filtration ready?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The spot that I can see in the photo isn't from any of the common diseases. I would say it is a bruise.
If you got the fish straight from Biota, then I wouldn't quarantine it. However, I can't say if it should go straight into your DT because I don't know what other fish you already have in there.

Quarantine is a balance between effectiveness and cost/risk. This is a high value animal, coming from the breeder. It is unlikely that it will carry any severe diseases to your other fish (unless then tang went through a dealer's system and then all bets are off).

It probably will not feed on nori yet. I would try diced mysids, or even live baby brine shrimp.

jay

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot that I can see in the photo isn't from any of the common diseases. I would say it is a bruise.
If you got the fish straight from Biota, then I wouldn't quarantine it. However, I can't say if it should go straight into your DT because I don't know what other fish you already have in there.

Quarantine is a balance between effectiveness and cost/risk. This is a high value animal, coming from the breeder. It is unlikely that it will carry any severe diseases to your other fish (unless then tang went through a dealer's system and then all bets are off).

It probably will not feed on nori yet. I would try diced mysids, or even live baby brine shrimp.

jay
I just have two clowns and a diamond goby but it’s big enough the clowns won’t even mess with him

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please give Biota a call..... they are the professionals. Between this thread and the other, you haven’t gotten a lot of advice. Some of which might not be helping the fish.

Or listen to jay hemdal, he knows what he is talking about.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Way to much flow in there

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give Biota a call..... they are the professionals. Between this thread and the other, you haven’t gotten a lot of advice. Some of which might not be helping the fish.

Took jay hemdals advice and put him in the tank, he seems to be doing fine now after about 30 minutes. swimming around, in and out of rocks right now he’s just chillin in a rock

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree - call Biota!

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back