Yellow Tang Help!!

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this?? I noticed it a couple of weeks ago but it was very small. (The white dot in the middle and the blotches on the bottom fin (Nothing attached to it, its like the fins are thinning). His behavior is normal, it has been always.

I have no guesses, please help!

I have had him for two years and never had any problems. FYI FYI - his belly is a little pinched because I haven't fed him yet today, that's not a concern of mine at all.

1578523051260.png

1578523112200.png

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an external infection of some sort. Possibly scratched against a rock. Any fish aggressive towards it? Any new fish go into the tank recently? Or changes to the tank?

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an external infection of some sort. Possibly scratched against a rock. Any fish aggressive towards it? Any new fish go into the tank recently? Or changes to the tank?
New fish recently but I noticed it was very small a couple weeks ago and getting worse. Dont think its a scratch. Must be some sort of infection maybe?

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: there are a couple mroe small blotches on his tail similar to the ones on his bottom fin

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One he’s very thin I would start feeding him Metro/GC+ Focus to food for internal worms/parasites. The white dot in the middle would be his scalpel. Also looks like some red blotches possible bacteria infection.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish recently but I noticed it was very small a couple weeks ago and getting worse. Dont think its a scratch. Must be some sort of infection maybe?
New fish before the tang had that spot, or after?

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One he’s very thin I would start feeding him Metro/GC+ Focus to food for internal worms/parasites. The white dot in the middle would be his scalpel. Also looks like some red blotches possible bacteria infection.
Not that, its to the left of the scalpel.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place him in a separate tank. Treat with metro, furan 2, and neoplex. Feed some vitamin enriched foods. Monitor to see if anything changes.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to tell from photos. I would definitely up his diet with nori soaked with selcon. Feed fish with Metro/GC + Focus to help combat internal issues. Keep water pristine also to help with bacterial issues. If the spots get worse I would pull fish place into QT and then a full broad range bacterial treatment.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change and feeding tonight. At least I know the progression of whatever it is, is slow. Thank you all for your quick replies.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see the spot you are talking about. It doesn’t look to concerning. Probably a scratch or battle scar. If acting normally and it hasn’t gotten considerably worse in the couple of weeks since you’ve noticed it, I wouldn’t worry. As others noted, it looks a little thin, I would personally go heavy on nori every day and feed a mix of high quality frozen, selcon soaked pellets and live California black worms if you can get them and get the fish to eat them (yellow tangs seem especially picky about taking black worms). I’m no expert, and generally don’t medicate fish, but a well fed tang tends to be a very hardy fish that can pull through more than people give them credit for.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back