Yellow Tang Prices

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware until now that you could purchase directly from them. I am quoting prices in the LFS industry. Which must mean they have a very healthy hand in the upcharge
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, I remember seeing stores driving the price way up. That’s why I got mine from them with a couple of other fish and got free shipping as well.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, this subject matter has REALLY blown up!! I absolutely understand this. I am just saying a price that goes up 6 to 8 fold, is certainly questionable. I am all for fish being raised rather than wild caught. It is only for the best for all of us, as all well as the oceans around the world. BUT, as I said, having previously purchased one for about $59. not that long ago, to looking at now $300. to $400. is a very tough pill to swallow. I do not pretend to know the costs involved in raising them, I am glad to see this being done, it just makes one think. At the end of the day, buy what you want. IF it is captive bred, that will always be a good choice.

Have the Biota YT gone up that much? I bought mine for $150 a couple of years ago.
Except the aren’t 300-400
They are $165

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, this subject matter has REALLY blown up!! I absolutely understand this. I am just saying a price that goes up 6 to 8 fold, is certainly questionable. I am all for fish being raised rather than wild caught. It is only for the best for all of us, as all well as the oceans around the world. BUT, as I said, having previously purchased one for about $59. not that long ago, to looking at now $300. to $400. is a very tough pill to swallow. I do not pretend to know the costs involved in raising them, I am glad to see this being done, it just makes one think. At the end of the day, buy what you want. IF it is captive bred, that will always be a good choice.
Where did you buy a biota captive bred yt for $59? Were they on sale?

$3-400 is a bit of an exaggeration since they are $165 from biota.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy a biota captive bred yt for $59? Were they on sale?

$3-400 is a bit of an exaggeration since they are $165 from biota.
Okay, if you read ALL of my responses on here, I never said it was the price of a Biota. I was talking about when you could buy wild caught. And as for the 300 to 400, again in my many messages in here, I am talking about what you see in LFS, NOT from Biota.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, if you read ALL of my responses on here, I never said it was the price of a Biota. I was talking about when you could buy wild caught. And as for the 300 to 400, again in my many messages in here, I am talking about what you see in LFS, NOT from Biota.
I have read your responses.

You can't compare wild caught and captive bred. if you come across a reefer with a wild caught for sale, you're going to be paying way more than if you purchased a captive bred yt.

Idk where you are located, but even the lfs I have perused in a few stats sell them for only slightly more than from biota directly. Your lfs may be a ripoff.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Biota one from LFS for $149. Color is perfect!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read your responses.

You can't compare wild caught and captive bred. if you come across a reefer with a wild caught for sale, you're going to be paying way more than if you purchased a captive bred yt.

Idk where you are located, but even the lfs I have perused in a few stats sell them for only slightly more than from biota directly. Your lfs may be a ripoff.
Agreed, I think this post has gotten way out of context and control. For the record, I am much more for captive bred. I am in Virginia, and every store I have gone into, when I see a yellow tang, it has always been north of $300.. That , from the sound of thing is on them, not Biota.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ship to TMC in the UK who distribute to stores
Appreciate you getting back to me . TMC obviously gotta make some money. So they charge about 300£+ for a yellow . Unless you can get trade . Which I can't unfortunately.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I think this post has gotten way out of context and control. For the record, I am much more for captive bred. I am in Virginia, and every store I have gone into, when I see a yellow tang, it has always been north of $300.. That , from the sound of thing is on them, not Biota.
It does depend on the location too, we're still seeing high shipping costs in many areas or there are some stores that prefer to buy our medium size range so it's not always a ton of margin there.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been out of the hobby a few years and now have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that is cycled and only has two clowns in it that are doing just fine. It'll be FOWLR. I'm interested in mostly large and small angels, tangs, and wrasses but open to almost anything. Anyway, what should be my next add? Also when did yellow tangs become 200 to 300 bucks??? I remember getting one for 50 tops not that long ago.

Thanks!
When Hawaii stopped allowing their capture a few years ago. Environmentalists got a judge to back them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back