Yellow Tang Prices

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you are offering them to us. These are 3 that I added 3/26/24. The not great video was shot today. They are already starting to darken up. They are also eating very well. Eating nori DK1 pellets mastick and frozen. I feed multiple times a day as I do all fish. I've read nutrition can play a part in hlle so I don't take chances. I have tangs that have been with me for years and have no hlle on any.

Exactly, and that set up is perfect to avoid initial stress. It looks like your powder brown(?) is already very interested in them. It looks like that acclimation box will help avoid some aggression when you release them to the main display.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, and that set up is perfect to avoid initial stress. It looks like your powder brown(?) is already very interested in them. It looks like that acclimation box will help avoid some aggression when you release them to the main display.
They are actually in a 100g stock tank full of old live rock. The powder brown is scavaging the food that falls through the box. It will probably be coming up to my new tank and the yellows will be released into the stock tank to grow out. I'm fortunate to have the room to grow them out. I probably wouldn't have gotten them otherwise. Reason because I have 6 petty large tangs total and wouldn't risk dropping the little yellows in with them. I may even bring the little yellows into the new tank first and let them own the tank for a while before transferring everything but I haven't decided yet.

PXL_20240401_212923841.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I said, right?

No - you said "the colors seem to come in" which can be read as they are not present. The truth is captive bred or raised fish are purchased months old or a tick more and do not have their full color yet. As they mature that color comes in. Nit picking probably I am but again clarity and context is important. You may be asking why the nit pick but the problem is these misconceptions continue to be spread. If not corrected they become truth. Future buyer could balk because they read captive bred/raised are not the same color...

Note - we are just talking not saying you are spreading gossip. And these are just my opinions when I read posts about captive bred animals.

I don't know, and I don't know. Are you suggesting HLLE isn't a problem with Biota yellow tangs?
Seriously, it seems every one that I see has pretty significant HLLE, like white scars that you can see across the room. Including the tang pictured in post #8.

I was asking you to clarify you post as it is misleading.

"It also seems to me that every one I've seen has HLLE scars on its head."

I wanted to know how many you have seen. Is it one, two, three, a hundred to help fellow hobbyist understand if it is rare or common. One out of a hundred is 1%. One out of 1,000 is .1%. Do you see the pattern?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you said "the colors seem to come in" which can be read as they are not present.
The yellow color is not present in the tiny juveniles that come from Biota, but the yellow develops as they age... is what I meant. They don't have the color we are used to seeing at first, but the colors eventually come in.

I wanted to know how many you have seen. Is it one, two, three, a hundred to help fellow hobbyist understand if it is rare or common. One out of a hundred is 1%. One out of 1,000 is .1%. Do you see the pattern?
I can't possibly say how many I've seen here on R2R. Gun to my head, somewhere in the 30-50 range. Almost all (I can't say all, because there is probably 1 out there and I'll be called a liar) have what I would call pretty significant scars on their heads.

How many have you seen without scars on their heads? How many total have you seen? Care to post links with pictures of flawless specimens?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't possibly say how many I've seen here on R2R. Gun to my head, somewhere in the 30-50 range. Almost all (I can't say all, because there is probably 1 out there and I'll be called a liar) have what I would call pretty significant scars on their heads.

Right - which is what I thought. You don't actually know but clearly state all or almost all.

How many have you seen without scars on their heads? How many total have you seen? Care to post links with pictures of flawless specimens?

I couldn't tell you. I don't keep track nor is it something I am concerned with. I was just zeroing in on your comment about the color (which we actually agree) and HLLE (which we don't).

On that note I think we can leave it at that and hope your day is going well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - which is what I thought. You don't actually know but clearly state all or almost all.
Your reasoning is flawed here. Of course I don't know how many yellow tangs Biota produces, and how many have HLLE. I don't have a spreadsheet with all of that data. No one does. That was never my point.

My point was that I've seen many captive bred yellow tangs here on R2R, and (almost) all have HLLE issues. This isn't something I've made up, and it isn't something that I don't know. I know that (almost) all specimens that I've seen have HLLE issues.

When I first posted in this thread, there was only one picture in the thread of a Biota yellow tang, and it had scars on its head. Then I did a quick Google search so that I could post links, and of the first 6 captive bred yellow tangs pictured, all 6 had scars on their heads.

I couldn't tell you. I don't keep track nor is it something I am concerned with. I was just zeroing in on your comment about the color (which we actually agree) and HLLE (which we don't).
If you would care to debate this, please provide some pics.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reasoning is flawed here. Of course I don't know how many yellow tangs Biota produces, and how many have HLLE. I don't have a spreadsheet with all of that data. No one does. That was never my point.

No, it isn't. You stated all. Not I. If someone was to do a search before purchasing one and saw your post stating "all" how do you think they may react?

I don't know - food for thought.

My point was that I've seen many captive bred yellow tangs here on R2R, and (almost) all have HLLE issues. This isn't something I've made up, and it isn't something that I don't know. I know that (almost) all specimens that I've seen have HLLE issues.

When I first posted in this thread, there was only one picture in the thread of a Biota yellow tang, and it had scars on its head. Then I did a quick Google search so that I could post links, and of the first 6 captive bred yellow tangs pictured, all 6 had scars on their heads.

If you would care to debate this, please provide some pics.

There is nothing to debate. Just asking you to clarify which you finally did by not knowing numbers.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What slingfox said. So they are no wthe only game in town so they can, AND DO pretty much name their own price. If you want one bad enough, I guess you will pay it as others have. Me, no thank you. Just taking advantage of the situation in my opinion.
It isn't cheap or easy to breed fish or pioneer advances in breeding. the money goes towards funding their projects.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been out of the hobby a few years and now have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that is cycled and only has two clowns in it that are doing just fine. It'll be FOWLR. I'm interested in mostly large and small angels, tangs, and wrasses but open to almost anything. Anyway, what should be my next add? Also when did yellow tangs become 200 to 300 bucks??? I remember getting one for 50 tops not that long ago.

Thanks!
Take a seat. They are around 1500 aud in Australia.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it isn't. You stated all. Not I. If someone was to do a search before purchasing one and saw your post stating "all" how do you think they may react?

I don't know - food for thought.
I stated

I stand by that. If someone is thinking of buying a captive bred yellow tang, and he/she comes across that post from me, that is perfectly fine.

There is nothing to debate. Just asking you to clarify which you finally did by not knowing numbers.
Ridiculous. How can anyone know the numbers that you are requiring? It's impossible. My observations don't count, in your mind, because I don't have an exact count of how many tangs they produce and how many have scars on their heads.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't cheap or easy to breed fish or pioneer advances in breeding. the money goes towards funding their projects.
Boy, this subject matter has REALLY blown up!! I absolutely understand this. I am just saying a price that goes up 6 to 8 fold, is certainly questionable. I am all for fish being raised rather than wild caught. It is only for the best for all of us, as all well as the oceans around the world. BUT, as I said, having previously purchased one for about $59. not that long ago, to looking at now $300. to $400. is a very tough pill to swallow. I do not pretend to know the costs involved in raising them, I am glad to see this being done, it just makes one think. At the end of the day, buy what you want. IF it is captive bred, that will always be a good choice.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, this subject matter has REALLY blown up!! I absolutely understand this. I am just saying a price that goes up 6 to 8 fold, is certainly questionable. I am all for fish being raised rather than wild caught. It is only for the best for all of us, as all well as the oceans around the world. BUT, as I said, having previously purchased one for about $59. not that long ago, to looking at now $300. to $400. is a very tough pill to swallow. I do not pretend to know the costs involved in raising them, I am glad to see this being done, it just makes one think. At the end of the day, buy what you want. IF it is captive bred, that will always be a good choice.
Have the Biota YT gone up that much? I bought mine for $150 a couple of years ago.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the Biota YT gone up that much? I bought mine for $150 a couple of years ago,
I was not aware until now that you could purchase directly from them. I am quoting prices in the LFS industry. Which must mean they have a very healthy hand in the upcharge

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back