Yellow Tang Prices

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been out of the hobby a few years and now have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that is cycled and only has two clowns in it that are doing just fine. It'll be FOWLR. I'm interested in mostly large and small angels, tangs, and wrasses but open to almost anything. Anyway, what should be my next add? Also when did yellow tangs become 200 to 300 bucks??? I remember getting one for 50 tops not that long ago.

Thanks!

givemehoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been out of the hobby a few years and now have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that is cycled and only has two clowns in it that are doing just fine. It'll be FOWLR. I'm interested in mostly large and small angels, tangs, and wrasses but open to almost anything. Anyway, what should be my next add? Also when did yellow tangs become 200 to 300 bucks??? I remember getting one for 50 tops with the help of Priceva not that long ago.

Thanks!
Yes, I noticed this too when I looked at the prices. I think 300 is not the last price and may be more expensive.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I noticed this too when I looked at the prices. I think 300 is not the last price and may be more expensive.
I was at my lfs and they had one in their main display - a real yellow tang(not for sale of course). We talked about the ban and about Biota who's tellow tangs look more white to me. No thanks. I guess I'll wait until they are back on the market. In the meantime I'll look at others. Love the powder blue, purple, orange shoulder - almost all. My partner now insists on a cuc, starfish and shrimp. Don't think that will work with the blue headed wrasses. He'll heave to go.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my lfs and they had one in their main display - a real yellow tang(not for sale of course). We talked about the ban and about Biota who's tellow tangs look more white to me. No thanks. I guess I'll wait until they are back on the market. In the meantime I'll look at others. Love the powder blue, purple, orange shoulder - almost all. My partner now insists on a cuc, starfish and shrimp. Don't think that will work with the blue headed wrasses. He'll heave to go.
Yellow tang are $165/each directly from our site and they turn yellow just like their wild caught cousins. Most people in the hobby just haven't seen baby tang of any species.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you seen them side by side and of similar size? There is no difference. Few hobbyist have posted them side by side having owned both.

You need to understand that captive bred or raised fish are young and small so will not have their adult colors. This is true be it a Yellow Tang or Pink Square Anthias or any other. Over the course of a few months to a year you won't know the difference from Adam.

I understand you are getting back into the hobby but prices have gone up for a good many things be it hobby related or a Big Mac. Going rate for a captive bred/raised Yellow Tang is $165. Not too bad considering you are getting a young fish that if properly taken care of will live well over 20 years.

All the best.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that they color up very fast! This is chip. He was see through when I got him but in a few weeks he had this bright color and continues to have it as he grows! Would for sure recommend biota for their yellow tangs! This is Chip my biota yellow tang! Taken about a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4898.png
    IMG_4898.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 68

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color seems to come in with the Biota yellow tangs.

It also seems to me that every one I've seen has HLLE scars on its head.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color seems to come in with the Biota yellow tangs.

The colors come in on captive bred, raised, fish. You have to remember that you are purchasing them young compared to wild caught of an unknown age.

It also seems to me that every one I've seen has HLLE scars on its head.

How many have you seen vs how many are in production?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been out of the hobby a few years and now have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that is cycled and only has two clowns in it that are doing just fine. It'll be FOWLR. I'm interested in mostly large and small angels, tangs, and wrasses but open to almost anything. Anyway, what should be my next add? Also when did yellow tangs become 200 to 300 bucks??? I remember getting one for 50 tops not that long ago.

Thanks!
What slingfox said. So they are no wthe only game in town so they can, AND DO pretty much name their own price. If you want one bad enough, I guess you will pay it as others have. Me, no thank you. Just taking advantage of the situation in my opinion.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
To be fair and full disclosure here, I think more of this hobby should be from individuals rather than sea collection. It is a better way all the way around, and of course that will makes things a bit more expensive. But to go from 50, to 300 or 400, is a bit much to swallow. Just my 2 cents.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bloody glad there are bans happening. This hobby can't come at the expense of the ecosystem around us.
Time for more hobbyist to learn to breed fish.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What slingfox said. So they are no wthe only game in town so they can, AND DO pretty much name their own price. If you want one bad enough, I guess you will pay it as others have. Me, no thank you. Just taking advantage of the situation in my opinion.
Just to clarify, we aren't "naming our own price" the cost of production of any tang species is incredibly high and we charge what it costs to both maintain production quality and invest in other species production (cost of everything in Hawaii is super expensive). Cost of tang production is the main reason why most other companies don't invest in captive-breeding tang while the guide on how to do it has been public information since 2014-2015.

In fact we were offering them at a similar price pre-ban and when the closure happened we restricted access to any company that was gouging the pricing to the end user because we weren't charging extra and only getting extra flack for the behavior of a few companies. That was one of the main reasons for opening our direct online alternative to help control the market pricing of the species we produce.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors come in on captive bred, raised, fish. You have to remember that you are purchasing them young compared to wild caught of an unknown age.
That's what I said, right?

How many have you seen vs how many are in production?
I don't know, and I don't know. Are you suggesting HLLE isn't a problem with Biota yellow tangs?
Seriously, it seems every one that I see has pretty significant HLLE, like white scars that you can see across the room. Including the tang pictured in post #8.

Here's a trio in post #3 where all three have it. Post #5 is the same: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang.1013821/

Same with this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-biota-experience.916709/

And this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang-ich-or-velvet.1022804/

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, we aren't "naming our own price" the cost of production of any tang species is incredibly high and we charge what it costs to both maintain production quality and invest in other species production (cost of everything in Hawaii is super expensive). Cost of tang production is the main reason why most other companies don't invest in captive-breeding tang while the guide on how to do it has been public information since 2014-2015.

In fact we were offering them at a similar price pre-ban and when the closure happened we restricted access to any company that was gouging the pricing to the end user because we weren't charging extra and only getting extra flack for the behavior of a few companies. That was one of the main reasons for opening our direct online alternative to help control the market pricing of the species we produce.
Understood. I just know from experience that going from what I previously paid ($59.00) to 6 to 8 times that, is rather absurd. Of course given the circumstances, these things will increase the prices, but what I am seeing in pet stores seems crazy to me, and apparently others as well. I love that fish are being privately raised now, it is for the benefit of all, including the oceans. But I DO feel as though some, take full advantage of the situation.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I just know from experience that going from what I previously paid ($59.00) to 6 to 8 times that, is rather absurd. Of course given the circumstances, these things will increase the prices, but what I am seeing in pet stores seems crazy to me, and apparently others as well. I love that fish are being privately raised now, it is for the benefit of all, including the oceans. But I DO feel as though some, take full advantage of the situation.
Yeah to put numbers to it pre-ban pricing was around $95-110 but if you recall they were also a ton smaller and in many cases some still even clear to public aquariums. We listened to many hobbyists, stores, and public aquariums and grew them out for an addition 40ish days to arrive with better coloration, hardier, and on more diets that are available to hobbyists.

So we increased pricing to offer them larger and significantly upscale the production. The direct retail option also serves to subsidize the pricing to our wholesale customers so they didn't see a huge jump when we increased the production cost.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I said, right?

I don't know, and I don't know. Are you suggesting HLLE isn't a problem with Biota yellow tangs?
Seriously, it seems every one that I see has pretty significant HLLE, like white scars that you can see across the room. Including the tang pictured in post #8.

Here's a trio in post #3 where all three have it. Post #5 is the same: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang.1013821/

Same with this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-biota-experience.916709/

And this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang-ich-or-velvet.1022804/
There's hundreds of examples of perfectly health Biota yellow tang including #10 in that first link. You can find HLLE also in wild collected tang where it's most common like in purple tang or hippo tang. Much of the issue are items we've addressed with all of our customers like the acclimation method, QT suggestions or diet.

Because they are still growing they are susceptible to stressors that can cause HLLE and as we've increased our customer support and production ability it's become increasingly rare for grown out specimens to have HLLE.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's hundreds of examples of perfectly health Biota yellow tang including #10 in that first link. You can find HLLE also in wild collected tang where it's most common like in purple tang or hippo tang. Much of the issue are items we've addressed with all of our customers like the acclimation method, QT suggestions or diet.

Because they are still growing they are susceptible to stressors that can cause HLLE and as we've increased our customer support and production ability it's become increasingly rare for grown out specimens to have HLL

Because they are still growing they are susceptible to stressors that can cause HLLE and as we've increased our customer support and production ability it's become increasingly rare for grown out specimens to have HLLE.
Absolutely!! hlle IS A DIRECT RESULT OF ENVIRONMENT.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad you are offering them to us. These are 3 that I added 3/26/24. The not great video was shot today. They are already starting to darken up. They are also eating very well. Eating nori DK1 pellets mastick and frozen. I feed multiple times a day as I do all fish. I've read nutrition can play a part in hlle so I don't take chances. I have tangs that have been with me for years and have no hlle on any.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back