Yellow Tang sick! No idea what he has!!

nolanp489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost an emperor Angel and a Singapore angel so far I'm treating my tank with metroplex and kanoplex and binding with focus in their food, as well as using the fishkeeper. I also have a blue Tang, foxface rabbit and a blue spotted puffer. The fox face and blue spotted puffer showing no signs. Blue Tang might have ich but he definitely doesn't look as bad as the yellow tang. Any ideas to what this could be in my yellow Tang?

Water parameters:

Salinity: 1.025
pH:8.1
Alkalinity: 9.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

IMG_20200131_182340_MP.jpg IMG_20200131_182400_MP.jpg IMG_20200131_182347__exported_9021654678200796890.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tang has developed a bacterial infection. You need to act fast to save the fish. I've found that NFG powder works really well on tangs. But it's a bit hard to source. Some LFS will have on hand. But the alternative is to treat with the "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro. Here's more info on bacterial infections by Humblefish:

Bacterial infections:

Symptoms
-
Sometimes it's self-describing: Popeye/cloudy eyes, fin & tail rot, dropsy (bloated fish), etc. But some other bacterial infections, such as furunculosis, hemorrhagic septicemia, etc., can have varying visible symptoms. Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish should be viewed with suspicion. Also, a white film or fungus-looking growth may denote a bacterial infection. It’s important to note that in many cases a bacterial infection is usually secondary in nature to a parasitic infestation such as ich, meaning if a fish has been battling ich for a while then his immune system has been lowered. This makes infection more likely for many opportunistic, harmful bacteria.

Treatment options - Broad spectrum antibiotic medication i.e. one that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. Examples of this include Furan-2, Kanamycin aka Seachem Kanaplex, Nitrofuracin Green Powder, Triple Sulfa Powder, or a combination of using both Erythromycin & Minocycline. The latter can be accomplished (albeit expensively) by using freshwater Maracyn 1 & 2 and then doubling the dosage for saltwater use. When battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combining Furan-2, Kanaplex and metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex) can be very effective (and safe). Props to “hedgedrew” for enlightening me of this.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tang has developed a bacterial infection. You need to act fast to save the fish. I've found that NFG powder works really well on tangs. But it's a bit hard to source. Some LFS will have on hand. But the alternative is to treat with the "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro. Here's more info on bacterial infections by Humblefish:

Bacterial infections:

Symptoms
-
Sometimes it's self-describing: Popeye/cloudy eyes, fin & tail rot, dropsy (bloated fish), etc. But some other bacterial infections, such as furunculosis, hemorrhagic septicemia, etc., can have varying visible symptoms. Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish should be viewed with suspicion. Also, a white film or fungus-looking growth may denote a bacterial infection. It’s important to note that in many cases a bacterial infection is usually secondary in nature to a parasitic infestation such as ich, meaning if a fish has been battling ich for a while then his immune system has been lowered. This makes infection more likely for many opportunistic, harmful bacteria.

Treatment options - Broad spectrum antibiotic medication i.e. one that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. Examples of this include Furan-2, Kanamycin aka Seachem Kanaplex, Nitrofuracin Green Powder, Triple Sulfa Powder, or a combination of using both Erythromycin & Minocycline. The latter can be accomplished (albeit expensively) by using freshwater Maracyn 1 & 2 and then doubling the dosage for saltwater use. When battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combining Furan-2, Kanaplex and metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex) can be very effective (and safe). Props to “hedgedrew” for enlightening me of this.
+1

OP
OP
nolanp489

nolanp489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bacterial infections:

Symptoms
-

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
nolanp489

nolanp489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: setup 15 gallon hospital tank, the yellow tang didnt make it. I'm currently treating my blue tang, blue spotted puffer, fox face rabbit and some damsels in the hospital tank. Giving them metroplex+kanoplex+focus with food and dosing API Furan-2. Also my local store pointed out that my membrane in my RODI was bad so I replaced that as well to get my TDS to 0.

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: setup 15 gallon hospital tank, the yellow tang didnt make it. I'm currently treating my blue tang, blue spotted puffer, fox face rabbit and some damsels in the hospital tank. Giving them metroplex+kanoplex+focus with food and dosing API Furan-2. Also my local store pointed out that my membrane in my RODI was bad so I replaced that as well to get my TDS to 0.
When you noticed the redness on the yellow tang / other fish, did you notice them lose their appetite, itch / swim weird, and then hide in the shade? How did this work for you?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back