yellow tang sick?

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has been rubbing himself on rock's as he swim's. He has stop rubbing on rock or I just don't see it anymore. his right fin is almost gone and where his fins are almost looks like he rub a the yellow off and it looks clear looking , he eats like a pig misty shrimp, seaweed . if u need a better pic let me know I try to get one its just hard as he in 180g tank and he just stays in the rock work, water parameters are all good salinity is a lil low sitting at 30. plz help as I have no clue this is my first tank and its only 2 months old. thank you
20170719_192535.jpg

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, from the picture your tang color is not good. Is your salnity 1.030? If it is that's a high and needs to be slowly lowered.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, from the picture your tang color is not good. Is your salnity 1.030? If it is that's a high and needs to be slowly lowered.
No the other one 30ppt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he has an underlying parasite problem (ich or flukes possibly) which has resulted in a bacterial infection. Left untreated the infection is eating away at his fins and his body. You'll probably want to pull him and any other fish in the tank for QT.

Have you seen any white spots on him? Breathing heavy? Swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return?

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he has an underlying parasite problem (ich or flukes possibly) which has resulted in a bacterial infection. Left untreated the infection is eating away at his fins and his body. You'll probably want to pull him and any other fish in the tank for QT.

Have you seen any white spots on him? Breathing heavy? Swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return?
No white spots on him, no to swimming in powerheads flow, need to check on the breathing he dont come out alot stay in the rock work And I don't have qt tank.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it will be the first thing I do when I get up thur. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need basic stuff for filters and such. I fig I would tank water from dt and just refill dt.or should I mix all new Rodi water?

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get this tang out of 180gl tank with 130lb of like rock for him to swim in and out of. O boy this not going to be fun

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two schools of thought on that ...

If you take water from DT and there are disease organisms in the DT, you're carrying them along with. Making all fresh RO/DI gives the fish a brief break from fresh assaults.

Then again, you're moving into a medicated environment, so disease organisms will soon be wiped out.

Pays your money, and you takes your choice . . .

BTW - Assuming that there are any disease organisms in the display, especially something like velvet or ich, it would be best to remove _all_ of the fish to QT, and allow the parasites in the display to starve out. That takes six weeks for velvet, but 76 days for ich.

I've never had a ton of luck moving fish out of a display without moving the rocks first - a big Rubbermaid / Sterilite tub or two should hold the rock for the few minutes it'd take to net the fish out.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two schools of thought on that ...

If you take water from DT and there are disease organisms in the DT, you're carrying them along with. Making all fresh RO/DI gives the fish a brief break from fresh assaults.

Then again, you're moving into a medicated environment, so disease organisms will soon be wiped out.

Pays your money, and you takes your choice . . .

BTW - Assuming that there are any disease organisms in the display, especially something like velvet or ich, it would be best to remove _all_ of the fish to QT, and allow the parasites in the display to starve out. That takes six weeks for velvet, but 76 days for ich.

I've never had a ton of luck moving fish out of a display without moving the rocks first - a big Rubbermaid / Sterilite tub or two should hold the rock for the few minutes it'd take to net the fish out.

~Bruce
I probably make all new Ro/di water better for fish. I rather do what's better for them then save a few $$$$ **** they didn't ask to be in my tank. And as for rock my kid did wanna redo the rock, what about crabs, snails and such they good to stay in the tank.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see other symptoms on him other than scratching, like rapid breathing, light sensitivity, etc..?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably make all new Ro/di water better for fish. I rather do what's better for them then save a few $$$$ **** they didn't ask to be in my tank. And as for rock my kid did wanna redo the rock, what about crabs, snails and such they good to stay in the tank.
Yes, all inverts like crabs, snails, corals, etc. can remain in tank as the parasite does not host them

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he's a good eater you can try a bottle trap. Google fish bottle trap. There's a youtube video how to make it.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see other symptoms on him other than scratching, like rapid breathing, light sensitivity, etc..?
Breathing is fine he comes out alot but don't stay out, will come out of the rocks for like 10 min the go back in rock.

LuckyPhil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the yellow tang?
Also what live stock do you have.

Once you catch all your fish (not going to be an easy task) you'll then have to decide what method of action you want to take.
I personally believe we need better close up shots to better understand what disease/parasite you are facing with.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that hide a lot and hide from light often have velvet -- I can't decipher much from the photo -- can you send a few of them closer up?

It sounds like your fish need treatment in a qt for something.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you catch him, do a fw dip. This will confirm/rule out flukes and give him some relief.

Freshwater Dip

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/

If you can get acriflavine, a 90-min bath would help ward off infection. Ruby reef rally and API fungus cure contain acriflavine.

After this you'll get him into QT and determine the next steps.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the yellow tang?
Also what live stock do you have.

Once you catch all your fish (not going to be an easy task) you'll then have to decide what method of action you want to take.
I personally believe we need better close up shots to better understand what disease/parasite you are facing with.
1 week sat for tang , clown, bicolor blenny, 2 cardinal, 2 sands shifting gobys. will try to get a better pic when I get him out I been trying to get him out all day errrrrrrr.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that hide a lot and hide from light often have velvet -- I can't decipher much from the photo -- can you send a few of them closer up?

It sounds like your fish need treatment in a qt for something.
Ya I will try

Back