yellow tang sick?

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up do water change, start thinking test water this ro/di water and salt. Idk what to do now.
first
20170721_121307.jpg
Ur ammonia is 0 man... trust me my ammonia readings have had the same color since I started my tank 2 months ago. That color chart is ****** up with api. If you still don't believe you can always take a water sample to ur local fish store not a petco or petsmart and have them test. But that's the color I always get I've had my local store check it twice and they say its zero even though to me I see 0.025

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get a different brand of tests which I recommend I have the same api test kit and once I finish it off I'm never buying it again. Red sea is a lot better and there is another brand that highly used. Just YouTube for bulk reef supply testing videos they never use api

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is only about 2 months old stop doing water changes. Your ******* up the cycle.

I know everyone say water change every two weeks but that isn't needed if you have a good sump, filter, and protein skimmer. Your in the first stages of your tank you need the bacteria to settle in. Every time u water change this early ur messing with that... go buy a bottle of dr. Tims bacteria dump that **** it and let it run check your chem weekly and unless you see a spike in nitrates and nitrites don't water change.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle is as follows ammonia turns to nitrites which turn to nitrates if your nitrites and nitrates are fine then u have no ammonia that's how it works. Calm down be patent and belieave me I have a 2 month old tank as well and just went though the same thing and the same worries you are.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your tang if it sick you need to get a q tank set up and red the post on here that describes sickness and dieses it sounds like you were sold a sick fish. Your probably gonna need to figure out what it has and treat your whole tank. When buy fish make sure they are not new to the store and they have bin there for a month or two this way the store knows their not sick before you by.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I got I new from BRS. TDS meter?

It helps you determine when the filters need changed. TDS coming out should always be zero. If you purchased it new, I doubt that's the issue. Unless you've been filling your swimming pool with RODI [emoji12]

I agree that the API test kits can be wonky, but if you do have ammonia with fish already in the tank water changes are the best way to manage it. Your tank will still cycle with water changes...it just takes a bit longer.

It might be a good idea to take a sample into your LFS to double check, and grab one of those alert badges. I've found them to be pretty reliable.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after all I see now I rush it. I should not even have fish in my tank at this point but I got 7 fish 3 crabs and some more cleaning crew. and some coral. pet that pet store got me at I got **** lighting wrong return pump. only thing I got good other then tank is my skimmer **** even **** power heads. but that what I get for trusting a store trying to make $$$$$$ I lost out, cuz I will never go back there they would have made a lot more if they would have shown me the right way and right stuff other then trying to make a buck at the start. and no i9m not trying to put my bad buys on them with the fish and equipment its still 100% my falt. and thank u all who help me

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps you determine when the filters need changed. TDS coming out should always be zero. If you purchased it new, I doubt that's the issue. Unless you've been filling your swimming pool with RODI [emoji12]

I agree that the API test kits can be wonky, but if you do have ammonia with fish already in the tank water changes are the best way to manage it. Your tank will still cycle with water changes...it just takes a bit longer.

It might be a good idea to take a sample into your LFS to double check, and grab one of those alert badges. I've found them to be pretty reliable.
ya I will get the alert badges

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy equipment from a store. Most are limited to what they sell. I did same thing you did two weeks later I bought a new sump and protein skimmer wasted 400 bucks. You added to many fish to quickly I started off with 4 then added a snowflake eel and cleaner crew my tank is runni g great but it was a month in between adding the eel and cleaner crew.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are these badges I speak of never heard of them. Link please.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up do water change, start thinking test water this ro/di water and salt. Idk what to do now.
first
20170721_121307.jpg
From what I see in the pic your light level is low to read the test, read in natural light. I also use a api test for ammonia and it will show a slight off color if the light isn't right take a sample to your Lfs and have it double checked. Also as I mentioned above get some bottled bacteria in the tank asap along with some prime. Finally keep in mind api test reads total ammonia and nh4 isn't a big concern free ammonia is the concern get a seachem ammonia badge it only reads nh3 the bad stuff

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see in the pic your light level is low to read the test, read in natural light. I also use a api test for ammonia and it will show a slight off color if the light isn't right take a sample to your Lfs and have it double checked. Also as I mentioned above get some bottled bacteria in the tank asap along with some prime. Finally keep in mind api test reads total ammonia and nh4 isn't a big concern free ammonia is the concern get a seachem ammonia badge it only reads nh3 the bad stuff
is the bottled bacteria safe for fish? I do have fish

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shake it up very well and duml it in dt in front of my power head so its blasted through the tank.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look milky for like 30 seconds u can put in sump to but i prefer the dt since that has great area for the bacteria to live

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy equipment from a store. Most are limited to what they sell. I did same thing you did two weeks later I bought a new sump and protein skimmer wasted 400 bucks. You added to many fish to quickly I started off with 4 then added a snowflake eel and cleaner crew my tank is runni g great but it was a month in between adding the eel and cleaner crew.
Ya I didn't know at the time never had a tank. Got 2400 pump i need like 1800. Right now water going so fast in sump crazy. For the lights they can't even grow algi

Back