OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once things have stabilized, your ideal nitrate number should be just a bit higher (four, five or so is a number many folks shoot for - some are successful rather higher than that), but as long as the other two are at zero, my heartrate can go down. I got worried there for a moment!

~Bruce
That's not good ammonia not at zero .25

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good ammonia not at zero .25
1500598796830-1246534610.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you! Just wanted to check a possible lead.

API kits have a reputation for doing that sometimes - you can try retesting, or prep a water change.

~Bruce

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start mixing water to do a decent-sized water change. Ammonia spikes can happen rather quickly in a new tank. Even if it was cycled, it's best to add fish slowly at first to let your biological filter catch up.

Does your LFS have any bottled bacteria products? Like Dr. tims or Biospira? That might help. You might also grab an ammonia alert badge (made by seachem) to help keep an eye on your ammonia until the tank catches up. If the sensor is anything other than yellow, do a water change.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you! Just wanted to check a possible lead.

API kits have a reputation for doing that sometimes - you can try retesting, or prep a water change.

~Bruce
I retest 3 times I'm wrong ammonia is there

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did feed alot today to try lure the tang out could that be it?

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why wouldn't my lfs not tell me I'm going to fast with fish.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, who is helping me out on this. I appreciate it

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, who is helping me out on this. I appreciate it
No problem! Yes I would do a large water change and buy an ammonia alert badge by sea chem to monitor daily for a few weeks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did feed alot today to try lure the tang out could that be it?
That could contribute, yes. In a new QT, I tend to do daily water changes, but always do them right after feeding to keep the uneaten food from decomposing and to pick up all the poo.
Idk why wouldn't my lfs not tell me I'm going to fast with fish.
They want to sell fish. Seems like you were buying a bunch of fish. Good for the bottom line, not good for business when the customer catches them at it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you cycled your tank with a bottled Bacteria product and added an ammonia source, your tank wasn't cycled in a week and a half. Get some bottled bacteria as mentioned above and get it in the water. And the tang will still need to be treated with antibiotics otherwise it's going to get a nasty infection.i would also get some prime in the water or another water conditioner to neutralize the ammonia

Last edited:
OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you cycled your tank with a bottled Bacteria product and added an ammonia source, your tank wasn't cycled in a week and a half. Get some bottled bacteria as mentioned above and get it in the water. And the tang will still need to be treated with antibiotics otherwise it's going to get a nasty infection.i would also get some prime in the water or another water conditioner to neutralize the ammonia
no I didn't cycle my tank with anything just rock and sand is all I put in to cycle

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could contribute, yes. In a new QT, I tend to do daily water changes, but always do them right after feeding to keep the uneaten food from decomposing and to pick up all the poo.

They want to sell fish. Seems like you were buying a bunch of fish. Good for the bottom line, not good for business when the customer catches them at it.
good for them ya, there all I got to get fish and coral from, I know now thow there one other store but there a mix fish, birds, rats only one full saltwater store sux for me

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good for them ya, there all I got to get fish and coral from, I know now thow there one other store but there a mix fish, birds, rats only one full saltwater store sux for me

Hey you don't have to switch LFS, just go in knowing what you need to know and take their advice with a grain of salt. Always double, or triple check everything they tell you. I tell that to my customers at the shop. I tell them to research and check everything I tell them because I don't know all and I may misremember something. If you have a smart phone you can look up the fish you are buying on it and determine if it will fit in your tank, fit with your fish, be reef safe and it's care requirements right then and there.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need basic stuff for filters and such. I fig I would tank water from dt and just refill dt.or should I mix all new Rodi water?
Make new water you should get atleast a 10 to 20 gallon at tank and that's 10 to 20 gallons you would need to replace on ur dt which would mess with its water

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you don't have to switch LFS, just go in knowing what you need to know and take their advice with a grain of salt. Always double, or triple check everything they tell you. I tell that to my customers at the shop. I tell them to research and check everything I tell them because I don't know all and I may misremember something. If you have a smart phone you can look up the fish you are buying on it and determine if it will fit in your tank, fit with your fish, be reef safe and it's care requirements right then and there.

+1 my LFS is large and well known, and run almost completely by teenagers and college kids that might not know as much as even an average hobbyist.

Plus, they have a very large system of tanks that's full of parasites.

I still occasionally get livestock from them (although I usually order online) I just know whatever I buy will need to be thoroughly QT'd and treated for flukes, velvet, and whatever else pops up.

OP
OP
Psy

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up do water change, start thinking test water this ro/di water and salt. Idk what to do now.
first
20170721_121307.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a TDS meter on your RO/DI? Did you purchase it used? The filters might need changed.

Or, your test kit is bad.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back